Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 15, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #9,451 of 12,862
What headphones in the $600-$800 range would pair well with the ZX300? Definitely not making any kind of purchase anytime soon, but I still like to plan out my upgrade path if anyone understands me. Currently looking at the Z7m2, Focal Elex, and (possibly, but not as likely) the LCD2C. I'd normally go with the Sonys since I'm a Sony fan, but the Elex seems much more popular and Zeos praises the hell out of them in his review while he doesn't seem to like the Sonys as much. I'm also curious as to how well the ZX300 can drive headphones around 70-80 ohms (Sony is 70 and Elex is 80). Any thoughts from you guys?

Apr 15, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #9,452 of 12,862
What headphones in the $600-$800 range would pair well with the ZX300? Definitely not making any kind of purchase anytime soon, but I still like to plan out my upgrade path if anyone understands me. Currently looking at the Z7m2, Focal Elex, and (possibly, but not as likely) the LCD2C. I'd normally go with the Sonys since I'm a Sony fan, but the Elex seems much more popular and Zeos praises the hell out of them in his review while he doesn't seem to like the Sonys as much. I'm also curious as to how well the ZX300 can drive headphones around 70-80 ohms (Sony is 70 and Elex is 80). Any thoughts from you guys?

This is going to be SO personal. If you look at my signature, I have burned through many over the last four years. I love my Sony DAP, but was not impressed with Sony headphones. Through trial and error I found headphones that I really love.

Two on my wish list are the Focal Elex and the Campfire Cascades. All the research says a great all rounder and a great bass cannon. Of course I have made mistakes before and I'll make them again.

I can't test anything cool locally, so I have to wing it. I think though after four years I am getting the hang of it.:)

Perhaps my dream set up will be Grado's and Elex, open back and Beyers and Cascades for closed back.

Shane D

PS: in a TOTALLY unrelated development, I got my Loxjie P20 today! Pretty exited.

Apr 15, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #9,453 of 12,862
Does the zx300 have tone control? I know eq does a similar/same thing but would be curious.
Yes, it does...I sometimes prefer 3-tone control (rather old school, I must say) to 10-band EQ because it covers a broader bandwidth (low Q only adjustable in a parametric EQ) i. e.able to accentuate or attenuate a larger band of frequencies all at once... Just my opinion...
EQ vs Tone.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #9,454 of 12,862
Is it just me, or does Direct Source sound different compared to having all enhancements disabled manually? After briefly comparing the two I think I prefer just enabling Direct Source but honestly this could just be entirely placebo.

Apr 15, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #9,455 of 12,862
And it will get you MAXIMUM battery life.

I did it for a test and it sounded fine to me. Of course after the test I put the other functions back on. :)

Shane D

Apr 15, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #9,456 of 12,862
I personally prefer it with all the enhancements enabled. I have not really enjoyed direct sound by itself.

Apr 15, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #9,457 of 12,862
Is it just me, or does Direct Source sound different compared to having all enhancements disabled manually? After briefly comparing the two I think I prefer just enabling Direct Source but honestly this could just be entirely placebo.
It's not just you, it does sound different, i'd say less compressed/processed? wondering if battery life suffers a hit too.

Apr 16, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #9,458 of 12,862
@Rockwell75 Please can I ask, what balanced cable did you buy. (I am catching up on the thread, after not reading for a couple of weeks. On page 618, I see your new cable being mentioned.) I am still looking for a good balanced cable for the ZX300. I'd like one that doesn't alter the signature, in terms of bass and treble balance.

Apr 16, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #9,459 of 12,862
@Rockwell75 Please can I ask, what balanced cable did you buy. (I am catching up on the thread, after not reading for a couple of weeks. On page 618, I see your new cable being mentioned.) I am still looking for a good balanced cable for the ZX300. I'd like one that doesn't alter the signature, in terms of bass and treble balance.
If I'm guessing correctly, changing from 3.5 to balanced, with any cables, the sound sig will bound to change, if you don't want a change in sig, stick with the you cable.

Apr 16, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #9,464 of 12,862
If I'm guessing correctly, changing from 3.5 to balanced, with any cables, the sound sig will bound to change, if you don't want a change in sig, stick with the you cable.

I said that I don't want to change the bass treble signature. Some cables can be bright and some warm. I'd like a neutral balanced cable.

Apr 16, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #9,465 of 12,862

Users who are viewing this thread

Back