Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 17, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #9,481 of 12,862
From my experience the case looks pretty secure and should keep the DAP inside, so I wouldn't worry about it falling out. Hell it's even a little tricky to intentionally take it out lol
Alright , bro.. Thanks for the advice ..

Apr 17, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #9,483 of 12,862
Who makes this?
Majority of these case are unbranded from china., overall protection, and takes time just to remove the case from the ZX300, they gave me three sets of plug which includes the WM port, 3.5 and 4.4, total 9 pieces, hi res stickers and layard.

Apr 17, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #9,484 of 12,862
Majority of these case are unbranded from china., overall protection, and takes time just to remove the case from the ZX300, they gave me three sets of plug which includes the WM port, 3.5 and 4.4, total 9 pieces, hi res stickers and layard.
Nice accessories - like the old days when you bought the actual device/phone etc and it came with everything

Apr 17, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #9,486 of 12,862
This happens fairly regularly now: playing music for a few hours, start playing another album after one finishes and after approx 44 secs player restarts. :expressionless:
Enjoy the auto restart... I haven't marked the 44 secs count, but it did happen with mine, and now its gone again. Don't know how, because there isn't any update after 2.01

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #9,488 of 12,862
I got the Hiby R6 Pro this afternoon and charged it up to 100%. Transferred a few albums to it. Without any burn-in for the Hiby, I compared it vs. my Sony NW-ZX300, which is burned in completely (more than 200 hours for both single and balanced jacks). I used my Hifiman HE-1000SE for the test, via a 4.4 mm balanced connection into both players.

The two tracks I used for the comparison were Miles Davis' "Someday My Prince Will Dome" in DSD64, and Apex Manor's "Under The Gun" in 16-bit/44.1kHz. Wow, really difficult to determine any differences. I think the Hiby has slightly better transients...the drums were a little crisper on the Hiby than the Sony. I couldn't tell if Miles' horn had more bite on one player than the other. They both have a slightly relaxed treble. That's all I've got so far. Both DAPs are so enjoyable that I kept listening and forgot that I was doing a comparison.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #9,489 of 12,862
I got the Hiby R6 Pro this afternoon and charged it up to 100%. Transferred a few albums to it. Without any burn-in, I compared it vs. my Sony NW-ZX300. I used my Hifiman HE-1000SE for the test, via a 4.4 mm balanced connection into both players.

The two tracks I used for the comparison were Miles Davis' "Someday My Prince Will Dome" in DSD64, and Apex Manor's "Under The Gun" in 16-bit/44.1kHz. Wow, really difficult to determine any differences. I think the Hiby has slightly better transients...the drums were a little crisper on the Hiby than the Sony. I couldn't tell if Miles' horn had more bite on one player than the other. They both have a slightly relaxed treble. That's all I've got so far. Both DAPs are so enjoyable that I kept listening and forgot that I was doing a comparison.
Thanks for sharing! How many hours have you burned in the ZX300? After both players are burned in well you might be able to make a more detailed comparison between the two.

Apr 18, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #9,490 of 12,862
Thanks for sharing! How many hours have you burned in the ZX300? After both players are burned in well you might be able to make a more detailed comparison between the two.

I edited my post to include that information.

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #9,491 of 12,862
I got the Hiby R6 Pro this afternoon and charged it up to 100%. Transferred a few albums to it. Without any burn-in for the Hiby, I compared it vs. my Sony NW-ZX300, which is burned in completely (more than 200 hours for both single and balanced jacks). I used my Hifiman HE-1000SE for the test, via a 4.4 mm balanced connection into both players.

Thanks again for your comparison. I am a sole metal listener, so for me drums solo and guitars solos are regular play. ZX300 is my first hi-fi dap and hasn't tired any other so far. I always felt the drums sounds crispy and metallic with a real feel. Base solos are like whiplash. So I wonder how more crispy can it sound... Although I only use bright iems and keep extended treble on the EQ - RHA T20 > Andromeda > 64 Audio U6 (tuned with B1 module)...

Apr 19, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #9,492 of 12,862
Both DAPs are so enjoyable that I kept listening and forgot that I was doing a comparison.

One aspect has glaringly stood out to me over the years reading DAP reviews, when you're spending mid to upper prices for a player hardly anyone has exclaimed something like: 'Wow straight out of the box this player is so much better than my current one, the difference is night and day.' Which I would expect especially from a player that costs about the same as a used car.
The differences are usually subtle, and often much A-B'ing is done to pin point the sonic differences. Often it's the faster processor, memory size, and UI that makes a player worth buying.
Whenever I've spent around $1200+, or intended to, I'm brought back down to earth quickly: 'this' player is good but so is mine that cost a third less. Maybe I expect too much and don't appreciate, or can readily hear the (slight) differences that many consider are worth upgrading for. For me battery life is the new benchmark whether I upgrade or not as I'm generally happy with how most modern players sound.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #9,493 of 12,862
Thanks again for your comparison. I am a sole metal listener, so for me drums solo and guitars solos are regular play. ZX300 is my first hi-fi dap and hasn't tired any other so far. I always felt the drums sounds crispy and metallic with a real feel. Base solos are like whiplash. So I wonder how more crispy can it sound... Although I only use bright iems and keep extended treble on the EQ - RHA T20 > Andromeda > 64 Audio U6 (tuned with B1 module)...

I don't use EQ, so my observations are based on the Sony's and Hiby's sound without any tweaking.

Apr 19, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #9,494 of 12,862
One aspect has glaringly stood out to me over the years reading DAP reviews, when you're spending mid to upper prices for a player hardly anyone has exclaimed something like: 'Wow straight out of the box this player is so much better than my current one, the difference is night and day.' Which I would expect especially from a player that costs about the same as a used car.
The differences are usually subtle, and often much A-B'ing is done to pin point the sonic differences. Often it's the faster processor, memory size, and UI that makes a player worth buying.
Whenever I've spent around $1200+, or intended to, I'm brought back down to earth quickly: 'this' player is good but so is mine that cost a third less. Maybe I expect too much and don't appreciate, or can readily hear the (slight) differences that many consider are worth upgrading for. For me battery life is the new benchmark whether I upgrade or not as I'm generally happy with how most modern players sound.

Well, the Sony certainly outlasts the Hiby with regards to battery life.

Apr 19, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #9,495 of 12,862
Update on discussion we were having in the past about using MP3tag to correct rips tags etc. I used MP3tag quite a bit to edit off various artist when e.g. an album included a guest singer. It worked great but it did mean losing the information about the guest singer.

Anyway I had another issue with KT - Tunstall Eye to the Telescope. On my ZX300 it would display under U for Unknown Artist. When I viewed it in MP3tag on my PC, there was just unknown artist and unknown track. I must have added track names for the version I put onto my ZX300. (I seem to remember doing that.) Anyway, whatever, I did the original rip using EAC free CD ripper.

Since I recently tried out dBPoweramp, I thought maybe it would rip it better. It did. I just dropped Eye to the Telescope onto my ZX300 and it put it under KT Tunstall, with track names in place. I also used dBPoweramp to convert a 192KHz 24-bit version of Norah Jones - Not too Late, into a FLAC file for the ZX300. While I expect EAC converts files like that, on dBPoweramp it was easier. It's a smoother interface, and easier to work out what to do.

Anyway, just saying dBPoweramp seems like a good tool. I just bought it to do the job, so it was a risk paying £62. Especially since I did not know if it would correct the KT Tunstall album rip for the ZX300. Anyway, all good. Saved me some faff in MP3tag.

It might seem like an expensive way to fix one album rip, and file convert. However I recently moved from Win 7 to Win 10. I would have had to re-install EAC, and I was never sure how to do it the first time. I tried many times to get it going over months. I eventually found a code that you put into it that goes along the lines of #Artist\Album Name\ etc. It defines how EAC orders the album info etc. However that took me about ages to find. I could not get EAC going for over a year, until I found that. That bit of information did not come with the download that I used. Or from that page I got it from, so I was lost for ages.

I think I could then know how to get EAC going again. However for ease, and what seems a better ripper to me now, I went with buying dBPoweramp today.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back