Sony NW-ZX300
Jun 25, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #6,871 of 12,862
Meant to reply to Signal2Noise.

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #6,872 of 12,862
So far most of the custom cables don't fit the EX800, and using the EX800 on SE on the ZX300, is worst than using a smartphone, I have all three EX series monitor IEM and only the EX600 and EX1000 on balances works perfect.

The problem with the EX800, no one knows for sure if the stock cables can be terminated to balanced.
I'd bought them cheap secondhand at e*earphone to make a few $$ selling back home. Funny you said they don't sound great with the ZX300 - I was disappointed with how they sounded out of the SE, that's why I was wondering about going balanced. Also I didn't like the fit.

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #6,873 of 12,862
I'd bought them cheap secondhand at e*earphone to make a few $$ selling back home. Funny you said they don't sound great with the ZX300 - I was disappointed with how they sounded out of the SE, that's why I was wondering about going balanced. Also I didn't like the fit.
So you agree on the SQ of the EX800 with SE, on the ZX300.

But they sound great on the ZX 2 and a smartphone on SE.

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #6,874 of 12,862
I only briefly listened to them on my ZX300 SE that at that time had about 2 hours burn-in, so maybe not a fair go for them, but they didn't grab me like the EX600 (from memory).
A few years ago I nearly bought the EX600, but after demoing the XBA-A3 I decided on those.

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #6,875 of 12,862
I only briefly listened to them on my ZX300 SE that at that time had about 2 hours burn-in, so maybe not a fair go for them, but they didn't grab me like the EX600 (from memory).
A few years ago I nearly bought the EX600, but after demoing the XBA-A3 I decided on those.
Did you know a brand new pair of EX600 now cost almost, as much as 2 pairs of the EX1000.

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #6,876 of 12,862
Quick question again:
Is $190 a fair price for an upgrade to the MUC-M12SB1 (Kimber Kable mmcx to 4.4), to pair with my Z5? I’ve already own a DIY C6N-6core-copper cable (cost about $100).
I’ve asked this question once, sorry for repeating it. But damn it’s still in my mind... :’(
So, should I go for that thick and heavy and pricey Kable? Or save it to invest in other shiet?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #6,878 of 12,862
Did you know a brand new pair of EX600 now cost almost, as much as 2 pairs of the EX1000.
I did not know that! About 3 years ago it was priced to go at Yodobashi Camera

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #6,879 of 12,862
Jun 25, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #6,880 of 12,862
Hi guys, due to some unfortunate events (house expenses) I am in need of cash. So I am selling my mint ZX300 and official Sony case for 420.00 US. shipped. Domestic shipping preffered, if you want international shipping you have pay all but 7 dollars ( what usps priority costs in the states. ) And international shipping even to Canada is like 30 dollars or so.

Anyways if you're interested, send me a pm and of course I have pics. I take care of my stuff and the unit is Mint and includes everything. For more selling history you can check out my old head fi ID- ihatepopupads. I haven't even listed it yet on here.

Scott.

Oh and after dealing with our dumb postal employees, I can't ship international unless you can do first class which can take forever. Every other service is just too damn expensive.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #6,881 of 12,862
I got my NW-ZX300 from Japan an I have a dead pixel (White dot) on it do you I should return it to Japan or stick with it maybe Is normal

I would email the company and ask them what they think. They might offer you a small partial refund, making the deal irresistible. You could ask them to do that.

Up to you really. If I got a good price, I think I would keep it. I weigh up resale value, vs cost to environment to ship and replace screen. Or replace unit. ... I'd be looking for that small part refund from the retailer.

Jun 25, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #6,882 of 12,862
I bought ZX300 together with MDR-1ABP. MDR-1ABP is a 40 ohm headphone which ZX300 can drive it just fine at high gain but I need to set a volume a bit higher......maybe around 60-70.

On the contrast, Audeze LCD2C is a 70 ohm headphone if my memory serves. So...well......I doubt ZX 300 could drive it alone. Maybe PHA-3 could be of help in this case though.

Edit: I missed your part that you dont want to carry a separate dac/amp. You can ignore my PHA3 for a solution but you probably get the idea now. Hope you can find a satisfy solution soon.

I can drive my 300ohm Senmheiser HD650 just fine on the NW-ZX300 through high gain. Just saying...

These are great posts. I have been putting off buying the ZX300 because of worry about volume cap. I am nervous about flashing the DAP, in case I brick it, or void warranty.

However I am sure I read a post where someone said they changed the region of the zx300 to china, but the language stayed in English. Doing it circumvented the EU volume cap. I am goig to do a search on this thread to find that post, just to be sure.

I actually made a thread about this. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/eu-...atched_thread_reply_messagetext#post-14323114

I was asking more generally about the EU volume cap, rather than only in relation to this DAP. Asking if the ZX300 would be loud enough for 'normal' listening levels. I intend to try my first pair of IEMs when I get a DAP. Meaning I will get some isolation. I am thinking about the AKG N40 because they don't quite isolate, so I can hear traffic a bit.

Going from what you folks said, then the ZX300 should be loud enough for me. I go generally with the rule, not to turn music up to drown out background noise. Basically because music was at the comfortable level you wanted before background noise. .. However it's almost impossible to avoid upping the volume a tiny bit, when I use my Sennhesier MX300 with iPod Shuffle. They are cheap old style earphones, that do not isolate.

Anyway I think you have set my mind to rest. Time to buy my DAP I think. I generally only use up to 32ohm headphones. Also I doubt I would buy high impedance headphones to play with a ZX300 anyway.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #6,883 of 12,862
I would email the company and ask them what they think. They might offer you a small partial refund, making the deal irresistible. You could ask them to do that.

Up to you really. If I got a good price, I think I would keep it. I weigh up resale value, vs cost to environment to ship and replace screen. Or replace unit. ... I'd be looking for that small part refund from the retailer.

We spoke about this before...

If Amazon follow Sony policy, you'd have to have a certain percentage of dead pixels though before they would exchange it for you...
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39371/c/65,66/kw/screen replacement

You may be seeing one or more of the greater than 2,000,000 dots (also known as pixels) that make up the composition of the LCD or OLED screens. These dots may appear red, green, blue, white, or black.

We manufacture durable LCD and OLED screens with high precision technology.

In all LCD and OLED screens, there's a chance that a small number of pixels don't change color. This is normal for all LCD and OLED screens from all manufacturers. Most defects are noticeable only when an all-white or all-black picture shows. They shouldn't be noticeable under normal operation.

Because a defective pixel or pixels is normal on all LCD or OLED screens, there's a high chance that a replacement screen may also have them. It could have more defective pixels or the pixels may appear in a more noticeable position than on the one it replaced.

Note:
Debris on the screen can appear as dead or defective pixels. Clean the screen thoroughly with a soft, dry cloth to confirm whether or not the issue is actually a defective pixel or due to just dirt or debris.
Sometimes dead or defective pixels correct themselves over time.

Jun 25, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #6,885 of 12,862
I ordered my ZX300.

Hope to goodness I don't get the issue of finding it hard to music onto it. Might be easier to drop everything onto a card.
It seems rare to have issues with transferring music. I know some people prefer to use an all in one software option, but personally I feel it is better to take the time to correctly tag my music, then transfer by drag and drop, then you have know everything is exactly how you want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back