Sony NW-ZX300
Jun 25, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #6,886 of 12,862
The only issue I've experienced with music loaded on an SD card in ZX300 was a couple of instances of unrecognized album art. Even though everything is properly tagged and most have the album art embedded there were two stubborn cases with no image showing. The art would show up on EVERY OTHER DEVICE in my possession. In the end I had to delete the art and redownload new art/re-embed to the ID3 tag and then they finally took. Just weird.

Jun 25, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #6,887 of 12,862
It seems rare to have issues with transferring music. I know some people prefer to use an all in one software option, but personally I feel it is better to take the time to correctly tag my music, then transfer by drag and drop, then you have know everything is exactly how you want it.

The only issue I've experienced with music loaded on an SD card in ZX300 was a couple of instances of unrecognized album art. Even though everything is properly tagged and most have the album art embedded there were two stubborn cases with no image showing. The art would show up on EVERY OTHER DEVICE in my possession. In the end I had to delete the art and redownload new art/re-embed to the ID3 tag and then they finally took. Just weird.

Thank you folks, for giving me some confidence. ZX300 should arrive tomorrow.

I was having slight second thoughts tonight, thinking should I have waited longer. Or bought the A&K 70; (not the Mk 2). The A&K 70 goes for less that £400 on Amazon UK. No volume cap. While the ZX300 was £460. I much prefer the ZX300 battery life though.

Also, I wrote a thread about my concerns about the volume cap, and posted the link in this thread. Some folks saw it and posted. ... However at the end of my thinking, I think the volume cap might work in my favour. It's like I said, on my iPod Shuffle, I sometimes turn up the volume to cover road noise, if I am out walking. We are really not supposed to do that, which makes total sense. .. having a volume cap could protect my hearing. Also it will make me make the effort to get some more isolating earphones. Meaning I won't need the volume turned up. It should be good all round.

I understand that the volume cap also affects what ohmage headphones can be used. However I really can not see me using more than 20 ohm headphones. The ZX300 should handle that. If not then, I will simply have to do some changes to the volume cap.

In the end I could not wait any longer. I miss having music on the go.

Jun 25, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #6,888 of 12,862
Mine is 7 old now, and like new.
My XBA-A3 are still mint after 3 years of regular use, sadly the XBA-Z5 haven't shown to last.

Jun 25, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #6,889 of 12,862
Sony DAPs dont support progressive jpegs no matter what you do. Until that changes one has to manually convert the progressive jpegs to baseline jpegs for them to display correctly.

Jun 25, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #6,890 of 12,862
Sony DAPs dont support progressive jpegs no matter what you do. Until that changes one has to manually convert the progressive jpegs to baseline jpegs for them to display correctly.
Holy crap! You've just used two terms I am not aware of.: "progressive" & "baseline" jpegs. How do I tell the difference and what makes them different? Do I simply use Photoshop to convert/save as? This is obviously something good to know.

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #6,891 of 12,862
Holy crap! You've just used two terms I am not aware of.: "progressive" & "baseline" jpegs. How do I tell the difference and what makes them different? Do I simply use Photoshop to convert/save as? This is obviously something good to know.
I too know nothing of the requirements of tag art etc. I used MP3tag for pc for years with all my previous 5 Sony daps with no issues then suddenly a few months ago none of the recent art would show - perhaps there was an update that changed a setting? I switched to Tagscanner (pc) which gives you options to resize and/or recompress art which has corrected all the ones I previously had issues with the click of a button. I could recommend it as a solution instead of doing the Photoshop way.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #6,892 of 12,862
I too know nothing of the requirements of tag art etc. I used MP3tag for pc for years with all my previous 5 Sony daps with no issues then suddenly a few months ago none of the recent art would show - perhaps there was an update that changed a setting? I switched to Tagscanner (pc) which gives you options to resize and/or recompress art which has corrected all the ones I previously had issues with. I could recommend it as a solution instead of doing the Photoshop way, and it is a great tagging software with plenty of options for tag sources.
#$%@?!! Trying to edit my last post, something went wrong

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #6,895 of 12,862
Quick answer is yes, using Photoshop to save as baseline (non-progressive) is fine. Also Windows 10 basic photo viewer also saves as baseline as standard. I don't have a Mac so I can't comment on anything that's baked into the OS, but again, Photoshop is the same on any platform.
I wrote a script on my Linux server that corrects any artwork it's pointed at in FLAC files - examines any embedded art, resizes it to 500x500 if bigger, saves as baseline and re-embeds. Big time saver now it's done and recommended if you've got a big FLAC collection that's not displaying properly on the ZX300...!

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #6,896 of 12,862
Yep, just use photo viewer on any version of windows and open the photo's, then save and it's converted.

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #6,897 of 12,862
IrfanView also does batch conversion from progressive jpeg to baseline (non-progressive). LINK

upload_2018-6-27_7-15-18.png

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #6,898 of 12,862
I am joining the club!!
I have been reading and reading and reading and reading...

I was considering the Fiio X7ii hard but I have no interest in bugs and waiting for firmware updates.

When I explained my very simple requirements to one dealer he recommended the Opus 1s. I do not/will not stream and have no interest in using my player as a DAC. Seems like a great machine, but I really want a finished, complete product

I just want to recline in my lazy boy and enjoy my ideal headphones. My three+ year journey is over.

I can't wait to get my new toy next week.:smile_phones::smile_phones::smile_phones::smile_phones::smile_phones:

Shane D

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #6,899 of 12,862
I've been thru quite a few amps/dacs while owning some Form of a t50rp. I finally got around to plugging in my inefficient set the other day to my zx300. Now, I haven't finished my 4.4mm balanced cable for my full sized cans ( all modded to smc jacks) so just went to SE. I really have never heard the t50 driver sound so musical and engaging. It's gone thru, emotiva mini x, jds c5, fiio x3i/e17, audio gd nfb10se (balanced), project ember, pioneer sx727 and sx1010, ifi micro bl, and probably more. Now, most of these amps were before I went full on rebuild with nothing left tbut the drivers themselves, but still. I have to crank the volume to 100 on SE, but, I was absolutely hooked again once plugged in, this dap is just engaging as all hell. I can't wait to go balanced on it to the t50s, denon d2k, and see if it will at all drive my hifiman he4. I did make a balanced to rca out so I can test all hps off my sx1010 as well. That'll be double amping though, sounded good on some vintage speakers but not sure what I'll get off the headphones themselves. I cannot vouch for this DAP enough, I'm so glad I chose this over the X7ii and the dx200, this thing is just musical and I love it.
20180628_215323.jpg

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #6,900 of 12,862
I have not read this whole thread yet, but I will. In the meantime, I have one ordered. Can anyone recommend a balanced cable for using this with the Sony MDR Z7's?

Thank you.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back