Sony NW-ZX300
Jun 18, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #6,811 of 12,862
It’s ok. I know many people ditching iTunes for other players with a better equalizer. I just value an easy to pay digital store since I live in a 3rd world country (payment and card issue).

Also, I dont want to go through my entire song collection and bother customizing metadata such as local language name like 7 years ago when I switched to iTunes AGAIN if I switch to the other player.

Something like that.

Jun 18, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #6,812 of 12,862
@yomiura My friend in this hobby we take pains for the musical gains.. its as simple as that. Imagine re-tagging 30k + albums and finding album art for them. as album art for a digital file wasn't a thing one took note of a decade back. There are alternatives on mac to both play music as well as tag files and albums. IMO when you spend time on a hobby you enjoy it more. As for your 3rd world country reference, I am from India and can understand what you mean.

Jun 19, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #6,814 of 12,862
^
Grats!

ZX300 or the ZX300A thru JoyBuy?

Jun 19, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #6,815 of 12,862
For USB-DAC issue with Mac and PC:
I don't have PC ATM. And for USB-DAC function with Mac, it is quite bad compare to my experience with Fiio X3-2, IMO. The USB-DAC is not compatible with iTunes, it will cause an annoying pause between each second like it cannot render music out to speaker/headphone properly when using with iTunes or something similar to that. I don't really know what kind of technical issue that cause this to happen but the solution is you have to use a specific music player made by SONY. Except I don't feel as comfortable as when using iTunes. Now compare to Fiio X3-2 USB-DAC function, X3-2 works just fine with plug-and-play to OSX. Sound output quality aside, though.

My ZX300A had the same problem with the Mac. It wouldn't work with any programs. I thought the unit was defective and I returned it.

Btw, JoyBuy customer is quite good. Very responsive and helpful. If the ZX300A is defective, they ask you to ship it back using the cheapest shipping service possible. Their policy is to pay for the return shipping if the item is defective. But they don't have the ability to provide an international shipping label. From US, the cheapest option was using USPS Priority Mail, that came to a total of $44. While they will refund the price you paid for the item back to your card, they are unable to refund the return shipping charges back to your card. Instead what they do is offer a coupon for the amount it cost you to ship it back to them, that you can then use on any future purchase.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #6,816 of 12,862
@superuser1

I understand a joy of putting efforts on your beloved hobby, but trying to figure out sorting problem on player is something unrelated to this joy. It's just a tedious chores and boring, manually sorting albums, artists, and try to find a way for iTunes to display everything correctly. Sometimes I even confuse with myself, I have a lot of fun googling for album art, new album, new hi-rez digital store, or browsing 4-5 years old thread about headphone, but dealing with tagging or metadata on music players application is just a pain in the ass for me.

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #6,817 of 12,862
@superuser1

I understand a joy of putting efforts on your beloved hobby, but trying to figure out sorting problem on player is something unrelated to this joy. It's just a tedious chores and boring, manually sorting albums, artists, and try to find a way for iTunes to display everything correctly. Sometimes I even confuse with myself, I have a lot of fun googling for album art, new album, new hi-rez digital store, or browsing 4-5 years old thread about headphone, but dealing with tagging or metadata on music players application is just a pain in the ass for me.
I understand where you are coming from, if ever you get a Windows PC try TagScanner or Mp3Tag, really great applications.

Jun 19, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #6,819 of 12,862
So I've been using my zx300 for a few days and absolutely love it.

I've been using a dx200 w/AMP3 and 64Audio U8 iems from balanced output. This combo has served me well, but recently I started looking around for an alternative DAP. I originally started looking at the R6 and even bought one, but then came across some pieces about the zx300 and was intrigued. I already have a A35 which I mainly use for listening whilst on the move paired with my MDR-1000X using LDAC, so I was already familiar with the UI.

Anyway fast forward to a few days ago when I tried my zx300 for first time and I was blown away. I've never heard my U8 sound so good. With the DX200 being a reference DAP, the low end output was always clean, but lightweight. Using the zx300 via balanced output I feel the sound is much more engaging and lively for want of a better term. Music seems to have more weight behind it, whilst still retaining good detail.

I've not done much listening wirelessly using LDAC yet, but from the brief try at the weekend it certainly at least on par with A35, although I'm not too sure whether I should be seeing any difference with regards to this feature.

Such a compact, well built and solid unit. Thoroughly enjoying this.

Jun 19, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #6,820 of 12,862
So happy to hear this. Never loved my dx90... there I said it:k701smile: Maybe correct but too polite, clean, boring

I've been using a dx200 w/AMP3 and 64Audio U8 iems from balanced output. This combo has served me well, but recently I started looking around for an alternative DAP. I originally started looking at the R6 and even bought one, but then came across some pieces about the zx300 and was intrigued. I already have a A35 which I mainly use for listening whilst on the move paired with my MDR-1000X using LDAC, so I was already familiar with the UI.

Anyway fast forward to a few days ago when I tried my zx300 for first time and I was blown away. I've never heard my U8 sound so good. With the DX200 being a reference DAP, the low end output was always clean, but lightweight. Using the zx300 via balanced output I feel the sound is much more engaging and lively for want of a better term. Music seems to have more weight behind it, whilst still retaining good detail.

I've not done much listening wirelessly using LDAC yet, but from the brief try at the weekend it certainly at least on par with A35, although I'm not too sure whether I should be seeing any difference with regards to this feature.

Jun 19, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #6,821 of 12,862
Hi
I'm sorry the R6 didn't work out for you either. I preferred the zx300 too. Not sure why I didn't take to the r6.

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #6,823 of 12,862
Hi
I'm sorry the R6 didn't work out for you either. I preferred the zx300 too. Not sure why I didn't take to the r6.

Hey. Yes was a bit of a strange one. I'd seen bits about zx300, when I grabbed the R6, but the following day I read a few more things and was convinced it would be the better option for me. I don't think the R6 is bad as I quite like the sound and the responsiveness of the UI, however I feel the zx300 is more authoratitive and I love how it's a music player first and foremost. I can see this being my 'go to' DAP at least for now.

To add I've just sent off my impressions for my first ciems and got a T2 silver cable with 4.4mm balanced connector on the way from Ted. Can't wait to try these with this!

So happy to hear this. Never loved my dx90... there I said it:k701smile: Maybe correct but too polite, clean, boring

I rate the dx200, but like you say, I've never loved it. The AMP3 module helped, but I was still always left wanting more especially low end. Also Mango player works well most of the time, but I still used to get weird, intermittent touchscreen problems. That said in recent months I started using Hiby music player on Lurker's ROM and I preferred the user experience over Mango. Maybe the DX200 will suit me when in certain mood or when wanting to hear certain music......maybe.

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #6,824 of 12,862
Hi
One guess is Android :wink:

Jun 19, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #6,825 of 12,862
@superuser1

For Tagging and Metadata on a Mac I use kID3 (free) and/or Metadatics ($9.99 on MAS). kID3 is great for single albums and Metadatics is great for bulk changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back