Sony NW-ZX300
Jun 15, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #6,781 of 12,862
I finally landed on a new ZX300 silver thru Amazon CA! Price was very reasonable, a whole dollar less than the cheapest I could find anywhere else. Should have it next week. So in prep for the addition to the family I also ordered official Sony flip case, a cheap silicon case (in the event I don't like flip case), a "USB-to-WhateverTheHellSonyZX300ConnectorIs" adapter, and FiiO BL44 balanced adapter. Also have my first IEM on order with 4.4mm balanced cable (Acoustic Research AR-E10) to try with the 300.

Anything else I should consider?

Also, is there podcast support yet? Sideload APK apps? I have no idea what to expect, I just was curious about Sony since last audio product I used from them was MiniDisc.

Form factor/size, GUI, 4.4mm, and battery life intrigued me.

I'm going to start reading this thread from post #1 now. Wish me luck.
The ZX300 is not Android base, so you cannot install apps.

Jun 15, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #6,782 of 12,862
The Sony flip case is nice, but not very functional. If mine hadn't came with it in the deal I would have bought a different case. I didn't know the caSE was 100 bucks until the other day, which is just ridiculous, unless it was a pricing error on amazon. ..

Nope not an error. However, I did find it on eBay from Japan source for roughly $60 US which was fine by me. I figure it will do until I too find something better. The Masashino (sp.?) case I've seen on here looks good but those are pricey right now. I like the one (black/red shown) with the included dust plugs recently posted but have no interest of ordering from that "taobao" site.

The ZX300 is not Android base, so you cannot install apps.

Ruh-roh!

I just found that out when doing a quick google search. Thanks for the confirmation. It's no big deal really but I did want something separate on the ZX to handle podcasts. Don't care about streamers and if the native audio app is okay for music then I won't care about 3rd party player apps either. I read somewhere in this thread about Sony possibly adding podcast-friendly functionality. Don't know how realistic that will become

Jun 17, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #6,783 of 12,862
Is The USB-DAC function compatible with most devices?
Any Good experiences using it with mac or windows? (And Linux if a user exists here :p)
I currently have a Fiio X5ii, and pretty sure this one will win easily in a comparison..
Choice of processor in the device and the 4.4 that i want to start using was what made me want it :)

Jun 17, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #6,784 of 12,862
I have the ZX300 and as it so happens had it hooked up to my Thinkpad T460 running Fedora 28 (Linux). As with lots of audio devices, it's straight forward plug and play. Just tap on the DAC icon on the player and it is good to go. The mentioned delay is obviously the same.

Jun 17, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #6,786 of 12,862
I'm not having an easy time finding a readily available right angled 4.4mm connector that I can get to the us in a decent amount of time. Any ideas? I have 2 regular pentaconn 4.4mm but after getting them, I want to change my iem cable to a right angle since the regular ones stick out so far, which on the go just doesn't work too great. Any help would be appreciated!

Jun 17, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #6,787 of 12,862
Shops that does custom cables should be able to get them, they are rather expensive, so shops dont stock them, you probably need to request for them.

Some countries like hong kong are readlly available, as there is a authorised agent here to provide stock.

On the other hand, there are a few members here who lives in Japan, you can probably ask them to help purchase them for a small fee.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #6,788 of 12,862
Less than $500 USD in Canada now ($699 CDN). On the fence to replace my ZX2...would need an iPad to replace internet convenience.

Link? I paid $798 CDN which is the cheapest a I've been able to find. Arrives this week.

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #6,789 of 12,862
Link? I paid $798 CDN which is the cheapest a I've been able to find. Arrives this week.

The distributor (Gentec), is the online retailer for Sony. They are charging $699.00, which matches the MSRP on Sony.ca.
I have emailed twice to see if they even have stock, but no reply.

Shane D

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #6,790 of 12,862
The distributor (Gentec), is the online retailer for Sony. They are charging $699.00, which matches the MSRP on Sony.ca.
I have emailed twice to see if they even have stock, but no reply.

Shane D

Interesting. When I last looked a few days ago it was at $799.99 but now it is listed as a "sale price" of $699.99. Something seems odd about Gentec.

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #6,791 of 12,862
I'm not having an easy time finding a readily available right angled 4.4mm connector that I can get to the us in a decent amount of time. Any ideas? I have 2 regular pentaconn 4.4mm but after getting them, I want to change my iem cable to a right angle since the regular ones stick out so far, which on the go just doesn't work too great. Any help would be appreciated!

4CED380D-BBE3-4678-9439-206145F7CCB4.jpeg

Jun 18, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #6,793 of 12,862
Jun 18, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #6,795 of 12,862
Try this then.

The problem is that these can only be purchased from Japan using an agent. I bought one and am hoping to have it in a few weeks. It’s. It cheap though. There are two versions, the OFC and non OFC. One is around $50 and the other around $100. These prices do not include the agent fees nor shipping. I purchased the non OFC and it ended up being close to $90 with all the fees and shipping charges. I also contacted Moon Audio and Plusssound and neither of them could get the right angle 4.4 plug. I think the problem is that they are not being sold to American re-sellers yet. Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back