Sony NW-ZX300
Sep 14, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #496 of 12,862
All in all, the new ZX300 is a very impressive little device. It can be summed up in one sentence: It's only SLIGHTLY inferior to the WM1 series in terms of sound quality, but A LOT more portable!

Have you compared the ZX300 to the WM1A balanced? I'm currently deciding between these two.

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #497 of 12,862
All in all, the new ZX300 is a very impressive little device. It can be summed up in one sentence: It's only SLIGHTLY inferior to the WM1 series in terms of sound quality, but A LOT more portable!
yeah. but since it's not superior in sound at this point, I'll wait for the update of the WM1 series in a couple of years if and when it gets the USB DAC mode.

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #499 of 12,862
Yes, of course balanced.

If money is not an issue, I'd get the WM-NW1A. Out of these two, it's definitely the superior device.

Hmm it's tempting, but how close would you say the ZX300 is to the 1A in performance? It's just that I like the idea of a USB dac.

Sep 15, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #502 of 12,862
So is the black model specifically for the Asian market? I like silver but if i'm paying top dollar id rather have it in a colour I love.

Sep 15, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #503 of 12,862
Hmm it's tempting, but how close would you say the ZX300 is to the 1A in performance? It's just that I like the idea of a USB dac.

Fairly close, but the difference is there. I noticed it right away.

It's your call. If the USB DAC is something you absolutely need to have, get the ZX300 or wait until next year, when the next generation WM will be released.

If you can do without the USB DAC, get NW-WM1A (or even the NW-WM1Z)!

Sep 15, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #504 of 12,862

It's your call. If the USB DAC is something you absolutely need to have, get the ZX300 or wait until next year, when the next generation WM will be released.

The next generation WMs will be out next year? WOW. Although I need something portable with a nice SQ, and the price is just good for the ZX300.
Did you notice any of the improved power more close to the WMs than the previous portables?

Sep 15, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #506 of 12,862
Although I need something portable with a nice SQ, and the price is just good for the ZX300.
Did you notice any of the improved power more close to the WMs than the previous portables?

Did you read my original review? If not, here it is again! The ZX300 is an amazing little device with an outstanding sound quality....

So today I went to the Ginza Sony Store in Tokyo and tested the new NW-ZX300, using the balanced output. They had two demo models, black and silver (both 64 GB). Here are a few thoughts.

1. Design. NW-ZX300 is an incredibly well-crafted little device, feels very good in the palm of your hand, very light without appearing cheap or plasticky (like the old Apple nano). You really feel it's a quality product, sleek, gorgeous, and sexy--a miniature version of the NW-ZX2! It almost feels like an oversized luxury lighter, and at first glance might even be mistaken for one! The matte display is new, and that also is something to be impressed with. For one, you don't need to worry about fingerprint smudges anymore, and for another, it really feels nice too!

2. Sound quality. I own both the ZX100 and WM-NW1A. The new NW-ZX300 sounds a LOT better than the former, while it is still slightly inferior to the WM-NW1A in terms of sound quality. But that's of course to be expected. The difference, mind you, is very minor, but noticeable for all that, if you're an audiophile like myself. The natural clarity and impact is slightly lacking, but again, it's a minor issue. It still sounds better than 98% of audio players out there!

3. Overall impression. This is another wonderful quality product from Sony, and I personally will definitely get it (I prefer the black one). The number one advantage is its portability, no question, combined with its top-notch sound quality, even if it doesn't quite reach the heights of the WM series. And while on the go, honestly, I bet many of us don't need a WM-NW1A or WM-NW1Z like sound quality anyway! :o2smile:

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #508 of 12,862

Thanks, yeah a USB dac is a nice option since I use my laptop frequently, and the zx300 is nicely portable, just wish I could listen to them both myself. Guess I'll think about it over the weekend.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #509 of 12,862
So is the black model specifically for the Asian market? I like silver but if i'm paying top dollar id rather have it in a colour I love.

There's a black option on Australian Sony site, maybe because we're Australasian?

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #510 of 12,862
2. Sound quality. I own both the ZX100 and WM-NW1A. The new NW-ZX300 sounds a LOT better than the former, while it is still slightly inferior to the WM-NW1A in terms of sound quality. But that's of course to be expected. The difference, mind you, is very minor, but noticeable for all that, if you're an audiophile like myself. The natural clarity and impact is slightly lacking, but again, it's a minor issue. It still sounds better than 98% of audio players out there!

So, what is the other 2%, bro :)
Btw, may i know your music taste?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back