Sony NW-A50 Series
Apr 10, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #1,456 of 2,411
thank you, ll do
On classic mode with all effects disabled you should be able to get over 20 hours. Plus mode will consume an extra 20-25% as will various effects and hires/dsd will further consume

Apr 10, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #1,457 of 2,411
On classic mode with all effects disabled you should be able to get over 20 hours. Plus mode will consume an extra 20-25% as will various effects and hires/dsd will further consume
I’ve hit 28 when using the MDR-1AM2. That battery is a beast

Apr 10, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #1,459 of 2,411
hmm, was hoping to get like 30+ like what the ads says.
That was with FLAC 24 bit. If I did only MP3, very certain it can do that. I’m trying to be positive

Apr 10, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #1,460 of 2,411
hmm, was hoping to get like 30+ like what the ads says.
The best I’ve managed with classic mode, source direct and 16/44 flac is 27 hours play time and 6 days stand by from a 100% charge to complete discharge. Normally I use direct source, plus mode and 90% charge (battery care enabled) and recharge before the battery icon starts flashing and that gives me just under 15 hours

Apr 10, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #1,461 of 2,411
How is the sound of one f these walkman compared to an ipod classic from back in the day? not sure if it will be worth it to change to sony walkman at some point in the future. I do not want an android DAP though.

Apr 10, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #1,462 of 2,411
Or recalibrate the battery by completely discharging until it will no longer turn on and then charge it to 100% (battery care/saver disabled)

That's a good advice - there were some reports here, that after installing the new firmware, the battery's charge calibration gets messed up.

The bars are not linear - even with the flashing one bar I got several hours of playtime.

Apr 10, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #1,463 of 2,411
A few days in with my new A55 running the DMP-A50 FEV2 and I am very impressed.

I went with the CA region as I feared being stuck with a different language and have been playing with the various sound options and other than really not liking clear audio+ at all I am on the fence with the others.

Curious, is there a consensus on the best combo of options?

Apr 10, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #1,464 of 2,411
That's a good advice - there were some reports here, that after installing the new firmware, the battery's charge calibration gets messed up.

The bars are not linear - even with the flashing one bar I got several hours of playtime.
Yes I was one of the ones who experienced and reported this. And yes the 1st and the 4th bar each roughly last twice as long as each of the 2nd and 3rd bars, like 8 hours each for the 1st and 4th bar and 4 hours each for the 2nd and 3rd bar

Apr 10, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #1,465 of 2,411
I have changed to 'SBC - Connection Preferred' in the setting in A55, but my A55 is still constantly breaking up when connected to Bose Q35 via Bluetooth, especially when riding bike to the point it is not usable.

I have never had any connection issue with this headphone when connected to various android phones.

It is really frustrating because I thought a dedicated DAP would perform better than a phone in delivering audio.

Apr 13, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #1,466 of 2,411
Hello Guys,

I also had a covert art issue: covert arts in iTunes that are saved as progressive JPG are not visible on NW55.

Here is python3 script (based on this project: https://pypi.org/project/music-tag/) that should do the trick.

If you run the code below inside the MUSIC folder of NW55 it will loop over all your music files and:
  1. open the file metadata,
  2. extract the cover art,
  3. convert it as non progressive JPG
  4. put the convert image back in the file metadata.
Enjoy the cover's!

Best,

BenGast

Python:
import sys

import os
from PIL import Image, ImageFile
import io
import music_tag

ImageFile.MAXBLOCK = 2**20

music_formats = ['.aac','.aiff','.dsf','.flac',
                '.m4a','.mp3','.ogg','.opus','.wav','.wv']

for d in [x[0] for x in os.walk('.')]:

____files = os.listdir(d)

____print(d.split('/')[-1])
____for file_name in files:

________if  True in [ file_name.endswith(form) for form in music_formats]:
____________print(file_name)
____________f = music_tag.load_file(d+'/'+file_name)

____________title_item = f['title']

____________art = f['artwork']
____________if art is None:
________________print("Artwork missing for: ", d, file_name, title_item )
____________else:
________________art_data =  art.first

________________if art_data is None:
____________________print("Artwork missing for: ", d, file_name, title_item )
________________else:
____________________art_data =  art_data.data
____________________image = Image.open(io.BytesIO(art_data))
________________try:
____________________image.save(d+'/'+'non_prog.jpg',"JPEG",quality=80, optimize=True, progressive=False)
________________except:
____________________image = image.convert('RGB')
____________________image.save(d+'/'+'non_prog.jpg',"JPEG",quality=80, optimize=True, progressive=False)
________________with open(d+'/'+'non_prog.jpg', 'rb') as img_in:
____________________f['artwork'] = img_in.read()

________________os.remove(d+'/'+'non_prog.jpg')

____________f.save()

Warning : This script is modifying all the cover art the music files contained in the folder wher you run it. Please don't blame me if all cover arts are messed up afterwards... I suggest to try to run it first inside a folder containing a sample of test files.

Thanks for making this! Took me a little bit to get Python 3.9 up and running on my Mac -- had to install Python 3.9 (2.7 came preloaded), pip, and the modules Pillow (a fork of PIL), and music_tag.

Is it possible to modify the script so that if the files don't already have album art embedded in the metadata, they can grab the .jpg located in the same folder?

Apr 13, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #1,467 of 2,411
Thanks for making this! Took me a little bit to get Python 3.9 up and running on my Mac -- had to install Python 3.9 (2.7 came preloaded), pip, and the modules Pillow (a fork of PIL), and music_tag.

Is it possible to modify the script so that if the files don't already have album art embedded in the metadata, they can grab the .jpg located in the same folder?
For external jpg to show on the A55 it must have the same name as the folder it sits inside, not cover.jpg or the like

Apr 14, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #1,468 of 2,411
For external jpg to show on the A55 it must have the same name as the folder it sits inside, not cover.jpg or the like
Got that. I was just wondering if I could automate embedding the cover.jpg/etc album art into my existing audio files, then run BenGast's script to make sure they all work with the A55, independent of the presence of a properly-named .jpg. Manually adding the album art to each file in an album with something like Mp3Tag is pretty tedious :)

Apr 14, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #1,469 of 2,411
Got that. I was just wondering if I could automate embedding the cover.jpg/etc album art into my existing audio files, then run BenGast's script to make sure they all work with the A55, independent of the presence of a properly-named .jpg. Manually adding the album art to each file in an album with something like Mp3Tag is pretty tedious :)

I am not fluent with Python but this seems to be a simple if exist / else decision tree.

Apr 14, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #1,470 of 2,411

Hello,

Indeed it is! I am now working on publishing this code on Git and add a few functionalities. Hopefully I will have time to release something today.

Best,

BenGast

Users who are viewing this thread

Back