Sony NW-A50 Series
Apr 23, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #1,486 of 2,423
My current set up is:
iPhone -> iFi Hip Dac -> HD6XX & HE4XX

I listen mostly at lower volumes and the Hip Dac’s bass boost does a great job of giving me sufficient bottom-end even at these lower volumes.

Problem is, I’m sick of stacking! And the idea of having a DAP that is not connected to Wi-Fi and is strictly off-line is very appealing.

I’m just wondering if I can tweak the EQ on the NW-A55 to somewhat match the bass boost I’m getting from the Hip Dac?
I totally understand that :joy:

Personally, I like my Hip-Hop songs to have a lot of bass. Without my amp directly with the NW-A55, I manage to have a great amount of bass with EQ and Sony different sound enhancements. The "Clear Audio +" switch gives a lot of bass. It is good for some genres, but I usually leave it off.

I suggest you, if you buy one, that you give a try to the firmware mods of @MrWalkman . There are two for the A55. Both add sound quality to the player.

Apr 23, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #1,487 of 2,423
I totally understand that :joy:

Personally, I like my Hip-Hop songs to have a lot of bass. Without my amp directly with the NW-A55, I manage to have a great amount of bass with EQ and Sony different sound enhancements. The "Clear Audio +" switch gives a lot of bass. It is good for some genres, but I usually leave it off.

I suggest you, if you buy one, that you give a try to the firmware mods of @MrWalkman . There are two for the A55. Both add sound quality to the player.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback. I think you’re right, I should buy one and give it a shot and listen for myself.

I actually stream all my music right now, and I have for the past number of years. I don’t remember the last time I bought a CD or a digital download!

Having said that, lately I’ve been having the itch to disconnect from the Internet and start building an off-line library.

As crazy as it sounds in this day and age, I’m considering buying CDs again. Ripping them to my computer and then keeping the CDs as a back up.

And then whenever I get around to building a decent stereo system I’ll have my CDs ready to go.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #1,488 of 2,423
Thanks a bunch for the feedback. I think you’re right, I should buy one and give it a shot and listen for myself.

I actually stream all my music right now, and I have for the past number of years. I don’t remember the last time I bought a CD or a digital download!

Having said that, lately I’ve been having to itch to disconnect from the Internet and start building an off-line library.

As crazy as it sounds in this day and age, I’m considering buying CDs again. Ripping them to my computer and then keeping the CDs as a back up.

And then whenever I get around to building a decent stereo system I’ll have my CDs ready to go.
Honestly you won't regret it a second. It sounds great and is a breeze to use. The battery life is also great.

Man I love cd's. It is so easy to use and when you buy a CD, you tend to listen to it more (at least for me).

Apr 23, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #1,489 of 2,423

Having said that, lately I’ve been having the itch to disconnect from the Internet and start building an off-line library.

I still buy a fair number of cd’s, mostly second hand, and rip while still keeping the cd’s for back up

Apr 23, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #1,490 of 2,423
I still buy a fair number of cd’s, mostly second hand, and rip while still keeping the cd’s for back up
There are many more effective means (e.g. NAS, cloud) to retain back-ups, but I like your idea. I'm planning to make room on my bookshelf to store cds the same way I store paper books against my kobo e-reader. Haha.

Apr 24, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #1,492 of 2,423
There are many more effective means (e.g. NAS, cloud) to retain back-ups, but I like your idea. I'm planning to make room on my bookshelf to store cds the same way I store paper books against my kobo e-reader. Haha.
I’ve backed my files up both on my nas and on a usb drive, I keep the cd’s as it would be illeagal to keep the ripped files without keeping the cd they were ripped from. Also my wife don’t like picking music on a display, she prefers picking a cd and putting it in the cd player

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #1,494 of 2,423
A CD player? What is that? :)
3A0DFABF-D179-4239-9B9F-A5AB11F0B619.jpeg

Apr 25, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #1,495 of 2,423
I’m just wondering if I can tweak the EQ on the NW-A55 to somewhat match the bass boost I’m getting from the Hip Dac?

Perhaps something similar could be done with a parametric EQ, but I don't think it would be the same. Our bass booster is done in the analog domain, and that's one of reasons why it works the way it works.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 28, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #1,499 of 2,423

Yeah I also still buy used CD's except after I rip them I burn the tracks to blank DVD's as a backup and I also store copies on external hard drive for easy access. Then I resell the CD's to help finance the operation. Buying them used online and then selling them locally I can often break even and sometimes make a profit.

So a friend of mine bought an A55 off of ebay.ca. When he received the retail box was filthy. Clearly it had been sitting on shelf somewhere for a very long time. The unit was completely dead and could not be charged. So he had to return it and get his money back. I am wondering if Sony is still producing the A55 or are you getting units that have been sitting around for years possibly? I have been going back and forth about buying one but this experience has me wary. When you buy a unit as old as the A55 is now do you really know how long it has been sitting around before you bought it?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #1,500 of 2,423
It's been a while since the last time I saw these. Analytical, clean and precise sound signature I presume?
Yes. Neutral, Clean, Lots of details but still very enjoyable (esp vocals and guitar). I think this is the bang for the buck under 60$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back