Sony NW-A50 Series
Jan 8, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #2,401 of 2,409
It is stated in the instructions manual that the DAP should be able to work with 20.000 files guaranteed.

Jan 8, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #2,402 of 2,409
Mine works fine with ~30k tracks.

Jan 8, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #2,403 of 2,409
The A45 on stock fw could only handle about 30.000 tracks. What the A55 on stock fw can handle I don’t know as I’ve only ever used it on MrWalkman WalkmanOne fw and that handles over 50.000 tracks. I’m charging my A55 at the moment and will then put one of my 1,5TB cards in it with nearly 60.000 tracks and see what happens

Jan 8, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #2,404 of 2,409
This is what my A55 with WalkmanOne modded fw makes of my 1,5TB exFAT formatted card so exactly the same as on my ZX300 and 1Z

IMG_0991.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #2,405 of 2,409
Hi, I hope it's not inappropriate to jump in here with a noob question, but there are too many pages to search here.
I just wonder if anyone can say if the a55 is much better than the a45 in audio quality. I would just get the a55 but they are rare and the only two in germany is a full 100+ euros more than the relatively plentiful a45s.
I am coming from a sansa sport which I never minded at all, with beyerdynamic a51i phones, but thought I'd try something nicer.
The player is just for tunes for biking, gardening and riding trains. Not looking for audio orgasms. My home stereo is there for the that. :wink:

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #2,406 of 2,409
Hi, I hope it's not inappropriate to jump in here with a noob question, but there are too many pages to search here.
I just wonder if anyone can say if the a55 is much better than the a45 in audio quality. I would just get the a55 but they are rare and the only two in germany is a full 100+ euros more than the relatively plentiful a45s.
I am coming from a sansa sport which I never minded at all, with beyerdynamic a51i phones, but thought I'd try something nicer.
The player is just for tunes for biking, gardening and riding trains. Not looking for audio orgasms. My home stereo is there for the that. :wink:

ICYMI FYI you can do an actual thread search here using the search bar above the page number selector at the top of the page (at least on desktop website), or selecting "this thread" in the navigation menu search box.

FWIW, I can't say much about audio quality as I have only used a demo unit of A45, but I believe they are similar (and have more or less identical hardware?). Although A55 does have a few additional features (most notably, bluetooth receiver mode), and, presumably, a newer battery.

NB- if buying a EU-region device you may find the NWDestTool from Rockbox useful as it allows switching to a non-volume-capped region (and the player is not very powerful to begin with).

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #2,407 of 2,409
ICYMI FYI you can do an actual thread search here using the search bar above the page number selector at the top of the page (at least on desktop website), or selecting "this thread" in the navigation menu search box.

FWIW, I can't say much about audio quality as I have only used a demo unit of A45, but I believe they are similar (and have more or less identical hardware?). Although A55 does have a few additional features (most notably, bluetooth receiver mode), and, presumably, a newer battery.

NB- if buying a EU-region device you may find the NWDestTool from Rockbox useful as it allows switching to a non-volume-capped region (and the player is not very powerful to begin with).

A45 also gets BT Receiver with the Walkman One update, but loses FM Radio.

Mar 31, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #2,408 of 2,409
My faithful A55 started failing, the hold slider turns on intermittently nonstop and has been a issue that sincerely makes the device annoying to use, I don't know how could have happen, i treated my Walkman like my most precious treasure, tried putting it in rice, cleaning the slider, discharging it, reinstalling the firmware, even sliding HOLD on and off quickly several times, but even leaving the device alone will turn HOLD on and off no matter what.

I know this may come as a hard request, but is there anyway in current firmware or future update to disable the hold feature permanently so it doesn't turn on?
I wanted to attempt opening it but there's no service manual available anywhere on the net =(

Apr 1, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #2,409 of 2,409
My faithful A55 started failing, the hold slider turns on intermittently nonstop and has been a issue that sincerely makes the device annoying to use, I don't know how could have happen, i treated my Walkman like my most precious treasure, tried putting it in rice, cleaning the slider, discharging it, reinstalling the firmware, even sliding HOLD on and off quickly several times, but even leaving the device alone will turn HOLD on and off no matter what.

I know this may come as a hard request, but is there anyway in current firmware or future update to disable the hold feature permanently so it doesn't turn on?
I wanted to attempt opening it but there's no service manual available anywhere on the net =(

On my A45 I’m sure there’s a setting where the Hold button only affects the physical buttons but allows the screen to be used regardless

Users who are viewing this thread

Back