Sony NW-A50 Series
Nov 27, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #2,296 of 2,411
Hello,

I have been using NW-A55 to my almost complete satisfaction for almost 1 year already.

Short time ago I purchased SONY IEM IER-Z1R. As I would not like to swap their 4,4 mm and 3,5 mm stock cables in order not to damage the MMCX sockets in the IEM, I am about to use them with the 4,4 mm stock cable only.

In order to be able listen to NW-A55 with IER-Z1R as well I am about to make an adapter cable. Unfortunately, it will be not immediately and it will take some time.

For the time being I am about to buy the DJ44C 4,4 mm female to 3,5 mm SE adapter made by ddHiFi. I am only a bit afraid if the adapter does not cause too much strain on the DAP 3,5 mm socket.

Does anybody of you have this adapter and use it with NW-A55? What is your own experience with this combo?
1669570082549.png

Nov 27, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #2,297 of 2,411
Hello,

I have been using NW-A55 to my almost complete satisfaction for almost 1 year already.

Short time ago I purchased SONY IEM IER-Z1R. As I would not like to swap their 4,4 mm and 3,5 mm stock cables in order not to damage the MMCX sockets in the IEM, I am about to use them with the 4,4 mm stock cable only.

In order to be able listen to NW-A55 with IER-Z1R as well I am about to make an adapter cable. Unfortunately, it will be not immediately and it will take some time.

For the time being I am about to buy the DJ44C 4,4 mm female to 3,5 mm SE adapter made by ddHiFi. I am only a bit afraid if the adapter does not cause too much strain on the DAP 3,5 mm socket.

Does anybody of you have this adapter and use it with NW-A55? What is your own experience with this combo?
1669570082549.png
I have it and have used it from time to time with no problem

Dec 13, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #2,299 of 2,411
I would like to buy a NW-A55 player via eBay from Japan, since I can't find it locally, and they're still selling it new and unopened. Main concern is: will I be able to use the Rockbox region tool to change the region to something sensible, like US, and the language to English?

Are there any "Japan-only" devices which don't work with the tool? The Rockbox site wasn't really helpful.

Dec 13, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #2,300 of 2,411
I would like to buy a NW-A55 player via eBay from Japan, since I can't find it locally, and they're still selling it new and unopened. Main concern is: will I be able to use the Rockbox region tool to change the region to something sensible, like US, and the language to English?

Are there any "Japan-only" devices which don't work with the tool? The Rockbox site wasn't really helpful.
You can always use the Rockbox tool or install the WalkmanOne custom fw

Dec 13, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #2,301 of 2,411

I used Rockbox for it. You’ll be fine.

Dec 19, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #2,302 of 2,411
Hey I have some questions about ZX300. How much different is it between the A55? Is it a notable upgrade?

Dec 20, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #2,303 of 2,411
Based upon my own experience I can only speak about NW-A55 and NW-ZX300 being on the stock firmware.

Unlike NW-A55, NW-ZX300 has High Gain option and 4.4 mm balanced output on which it provides approx. 4 times more juice than both DAPs on their 3.5 mm single ended outputs IIRC.

The sound quality is definitely better with NW-ZX300 at least on the balanced output. So from my point of view, yes, NW-ZX300 is definitely a notable upgrade.

However, in another thread (original NW-WM1?) someone (@nc8000 ?) who has got both NW-A55 and NW-WM1x wrote that if MrWalkman's custom firmware had been available at the time when he had bought NW-WM1x, he would not have bought it as NW-A55 on custom FW would have been sufficient.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #2,304 of 2,411
Based upon my own experience I can only speak about NW-A55 and NW-ZX300 being on the stock firmware.

Unlike NW-A55, NW-ZX300 has High Gain option and 4.4 mm balanced output on which it provides approx. 4 times more juice than both DAPs on their 3.5 mm single ended outputs IIRC.

The sound quality is definitely better with NW-ZX300 at least on the balanced output. So from my point of view, yes, NW-ZX300 is definitely a notable upgrade.

However, in another thread (original NW-WM1?) someone (@nc8000 ?) who has got both NW-A55 and NW-WM1x wrote that if MrWalkman's custom firmware had been available at the time when he bought NW-WM1x, he would not have bought it as NW-A55 on custom FW would have been sufficient.
Yes the A55 would have been good enough for me but the ZX300 is still better and the 1Z even more so, but both also cost more and a lot more. Diminishing returns.

Dec 21, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #2,305 of 2,411
So out of nowhere (kind of), my computers stopped recognising my NW-A55. It was actually gradual on my new Acer. If you tried different usb ports it would eventually work in one. Now it doesn't work in any. So I tried my old HP and it doesn't work on that either.

There's no explanation for it. It worked on both, and now it just doesn't. But the thing is, it charges on both. So the connection is fine. It just doesn't come up as a drive. The device stays on whatever screen it was on when you plugged it in, like it does when you just charge it. And the battery thing indicates charging. The charging light comes on.

I never changed any settings. And like I said it was gradual. It was still working sometimes, but now, not at all.

I looked in the settings and 'auto activate USB mass storage' is on. I've tried turning it off and on again. No good.

Don't know what else I can do? I've done all the simple things like resetting computer and trying every USB port etc.

Dec 21, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #2,306 of 2,411
So out of nowhere (kind of), my computers stopped recognising my NW-A55. It was actually gradual on my new Acer. If you tried different usb ports it would eventually work in one. Now it doesn't work in any. So I tried my old HP and it doesn't work on that either.

There's no explanation for it. It worked on both, and now it just doesn't. But the thing is, it charges on both. So the connection is fine. It just doesn't come up as a drive. The device stays on whatever screen it was on when you plugged it in, like it does when you just charge it. And the battery thing indicates charging. The charging light comes on.

I never changed any settings. And like I said it was gradual. It was still working sometimes, but now, not at all.

I looked in the settings and 'auto activate USB mass storage' is on. I've tried turning it off and on again. No good.

Don't know what else I can do? I've done all the simple things like resetting computer and trying every USB port etc.

I would try resetting the player. I have no idea what could be wrong exactly... Maybe also clean the contacts on the connector of the Walkman with a toothbrush and some alcohol?

Dec 31, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #2,308 of 2,411
Does the A55 have some sort of play history? I'd like to use it again with manual scrobbling but I'm not sure if the device keeps track of what you've listened to.
It does not

Dec 31, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #2,310 of 2,411
Does anyone have a backup of the MrWalkman firmware with ClearAudio+? I might be in the minority, but I actually prefer that over direct source. It does more to enhance the sound for me rather than practically sounding the same as the original song without EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back