Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Nov 22, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #1,516 of 1,999
What would be the main hesitation? I kept wanting to wait on the NW-55 to drop over here but when I lost my FiiO X3 gen 3 I was forced to get something. My setup is a pair of Westone W40s and I'm not going to try and give an audiophile level review of this player but I think the sound quality is outstanding. I've always liked Sony's sound signature. The player has been reliable and outperforms my FiiO. The killer feature, to me, is the stellar battery life. I live on the road so having a player that I can throw in my bag and know will always be charged is nice.

Nov 29, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #1,517 of 1,999
Does anyone experience somewhat sudden battery drain when restarting their NW-A45? Sometimes i shut down the device and take out the microsd to add new albums to it, and when i start the device again suddenly one bar of the battery is gone. I am using a 200gb card and there are 923 albums on it.

Nov 29, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #1,518 of 1,999
Does anyone experience somewhat sudden battery drain when restarting their NW-A45? Sometimes i shut down the device and take out the microsd to add new albums to it, and when i start the device again suddenly one bar of the battery is gone. I am using a 200gb card and there are 923 albums on it.

No but then I never turn my players off

Nov 29, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #1,519 of 1,999
Not sure if this is from the restart or from the scanning database process that follows the power on. Is it safe to remove the microsd card without turning it off?

Nov 29, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #1,520 of 1,999
Not sure if this is from the restart or from the scanning database process that follows the power on. Is it safe to remove the microsd card without turning it off?

Yes just go into the settings and eject the card. But why remove the card, just connect the player to your computer with the included cable

Nov 30, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #1,521 of 1,999
Coming from a Cayin N3 (which i loved sound-wise but not when it comes to UI, impossible to read and that battery that dies after less than 2 years of a mild use...) i'm considering a NW-A45 as it's available at 126€ (140$) from Amazon Warehouse (damaged box but item as new).
What's your opinion on that kind of deal?
Is the N-45 still a decent DAP or could i find something way better under or around 200$? (Cowon D/D2 seem too laggy for my taste)
I haven't had a Sony product for ages, cd player from the 80's so i have no idea what to expect from this model.

Nov 30, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #1,522 of 1,999
Coming from a Cayin N3 (which i loved sound-wise but not when it comes to UI, impossible to read and that battery that dies after less than 2 years of a mild use...) i'm considering a NW-A45 as it's available at 126€ (140$) from Amazon Warehouse (damaged box but item as new).
What's your opinion on that kind of deal?
Is the N-45 still a decent DAP or could i find something way better under or around 200$? (Cowon D/D2 seem too laggy for my taste)
I haven't had a Sony product for ages, cd player from the 80's so i have no idea what to expect from this model.
The N-45 was my first Sony product, having used Cowon DAPS & still using the Plenue D. I'd say it's a great little player, haven't had any issue with it. The only downgrade from the Plenue D is the less EQ options, but I've got a pretty nice setup out of it, so it's not an issue.

It's a great sounding DAP, could be a little more powerful with my headphones (Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Westone W30)... As I find I'm going close to the volume limit.

If you can find a good deal, I'd suggest buying.

Nov 30, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #1,523 of 1,999
The N-45 was my first Sony product, having used Cowon DAPS & still using the Plenue D. I'd say it's a great little player, haven't had any issue with it. The only downgrade from the Plenue D is the less EQ options, but I've got a pretty nice setup out of it, so it's not an issue.

It's a great sounding DAP, could be a little more powerful with my headphones (Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Westone W30)... As I find I'm going close to the volume limit.

If you can find a good deal, I'd suggest buying.
Thanks for the feedback!
I think you have convinced me (it's what i was looking for :) ). The Cowon was my first choice but the price is steeper (352-380$ here in Italy) and what i saw about the very slow scrolling would probably get on my nerves after a while.
I have a Sennheiser HD600 so i know i'll have to use my Xduoo xd-05 to properly power it, but i like my funny little Koss KSC75 and will probably end up using those with the N-45 on the go.
Thanks again for the fast reply :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #1,524 of 1,999
What would be the main hesitation? I kept wanting to wait on the NW-55 to drop over here but when I lost my FiiO X3 gen 3 I was forced to get something. My setup is a pair of Westone W40s and I'm not going to try and give an audiophile level review of this player but I think the sound quality is outstanding. I've always liked Sony's sound signature. The player has been reliable and outperforms my FiiO. The killer feature, to me, is the stellar battery life. I live on the road so having a player that I can throw in my bag and know will always be charged is nice.
What do you think of the W40s?
I managed to get the W30s $200 off RRP & couldn't be happier with them, especially paired with my Cowon... Definite upgrade from my Shure425s I had previously.

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #1,525 of 1,999
Just bought an NW-A45 from B&H for what seemed like a good price ($150). Pretty stoked. Except for having to wait a whole week to get it. I was gonna buy the Fiio M6 for the same price but when I saw the price on the Sony I had to do it. I've had a couple different Walkmans over the years and always appreciated the sound quality. Still have a 2 gig NWZ-615 that will play just forever. I bet it still gets 30 hours on a charge, and I've had it since 2006.

Dec 9, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #1,526 of 1,999
Got my NW-A45 today. So far, I like it a lot. Haven't quite got the sound I want dialed in yet but it's a matter of playing with the equalizer and all the various filters/processors until I get there. Seems to mate really well with my Sennheiser PX-100s. Have not tried any IEM's with it yet but based on what I've heard with the Senns it seems like plenty of power for anything else I've got.

Beautiful little screen, makes album art looks fantastic. I'm an album art junkie and it definitely fulfills that requirement for me. Headphone jack on the bottom of the device - thank you! I don't mind the proprietary cable since I've got several of these lying around from other Walkmans of the past.

I was annoyed that my 64 GB card had to be reformatted by the Walkman itself so now I've got to transfer all that music which will take several hours. But that's the only hangup so far. I'm real happy with this thing.

Need to find a good case for this. Any suggestions?

Dec 22, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #1,527 of 1,999
Yes just go into the settings and eject the card. But why remove the card, just connect the player to your computer with the included cable

Somehow i always have a microsd adapter with me, but not the cable. But yeah, i should just throw the cable in my bag and use that instead.

Dec 22, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #1,528 of 1,999
Somehow i always have a microsd adapter with me, but not the cable. But yeah, i should just throw the cable in my bag and use that instead.
If you have card of any decent size, transferring files via the cable is slower than molasses in January. It would take days to sync my 1TB microSD, but with a good card reader (and fast card), it takes 1/10th the time to complete.

Dec 22, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #1,529 of 1,999
If you have card of any decent size, transferring files via the cable is slower than molasses in January. It would take days to sync my 1TB microSD, but with a good card reader (and fast card), it takes 1/10th the time to complete.

It took about 18 hours to copy 40.000 files (850GB) with the card in the 1Z but as I only do that once it is fine and I don’t have to take the player out of the case and the card out of the player

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #1,530 of 1,999
Seems there is a limit to how many files the A45 will handle. I have 2 identical 1TB microSD cards with about 45.000 files and 850MB on them, one in my 1Z and one in my A45. The 1Z handles them all but the A45 gives up at around 41.000 files. It shows the amount of space used correctly but will not show all the files, neither in any of the category views nor in folder view. I can get it to show the files that it initially does not show by deleting some of the files it did show but no matter what I do it will only show about 41.000 files at any one time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back