Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Nov 1, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #1,488 of 1,999
I’m thinking of buying this Dap but am using MusicBee. What are you gonna change to?

At the moment I'm still trying to get MusicBee to make playlists but l download the Sony Music Centre software, I've tried it, don't like it but it works.

Btw,
If you reset the player to the Japanese settings, to get rid of the sound limitations, you can make playlists on the actual player.

Nov 2, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #1,489 of 1,999
Sorry if this has been answered back through the pages - I bought my NW-A45 walkman during the Amazon sales back in July, while in London. My volume limit goes up to 120. I find I'm close to maxing that out, even on low imedence headphones, like the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro.

How can I remove that limit?

Doing a quick comparison, my Cowan Plenue D seems much stronger.

Nov 2, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #1,490 of 1,999
Sorry if this has been answered back through the pages - I bought my NW-A45 walkman during the Amazon sales back in July, while in London. My volume limit goes up to 120. I find I'm close to maxing that out, even on low imedence headphones, like the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro.

How can I remove that limit?

Doing a quick comparison, my Cowan Plenue D seems much stronger.
1. Download tool https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1j3sj99v679af0/scsitool-nwz-v23.exe?dl=0

2. Connect the player to the computer.

3. Check the letter of your nw a45 in "My Computer" / "This PC". For example: WALKMAN (H: or D: or E: or J: or whatever)

4. Download the file https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/pub/Main/SonyNWDestTool/open_cmd_here.bat and put it in the same folder as the tool (point 1), and double-click on it

5. Enter the following command, replacing X with the version number of the tool (v23) and H: with the letter of your WALKMAN drive in "My Computer" / "This PC". <dest> is the localization code
scsitool-nwz-vX.exe H: dest_tool set <dest> <sps>

so if you double-click the file in step 3, copy and paste this and just replace H with what your PC shows

scsitool-nwz-v23.exe H: dest_tool set E off

you press Enter and after that you go to the settings of your walkman and Reset it

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #1,491 of 1,999
I am in The U.S. My NW-A45 goes to 120 also. I was to believe that 120 was the max. Also I did not think there was a volume governor on U.S. versions. Can someone set me straight? (impossible)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #1,492 of 1,999
So i got the NW-A45 finally, and first impressions are very good.
Could someone please let me know what is the best way to get the artwork to show up? The majority of my folder albums have artwork files in them, but only very few are showing on the device. I am using drag and drop on windows and mac, but am willing to use a software to transfer if it means the art will show without much hassle (like downloading the art manually for each album).
Thanks!

Nov 2, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #1,493 of 1,999
So i got the NW-A45 finally, and first impressions are very good.
Could someone please let me know what is the best way to get the artwork to show up? The majority of my folder albums have artwork files in them, but only very few are showing on the device. I am using drag and drop on windows and mac, but am willing to use a software to transfer if it means the art will show without much hassle (like downloading the art manually for each album).
Thanks!

The Sony OS players only support baseline jpg for artwork not progressive jpg as Android players support. This is the most likely reason why your art is not showing up

Nov 2, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #1,494 of 1,999
I am in The U.S. My NW-A45 goes to 120 also. I was to believe that 120 was the max. Also I did not think there was a volume governor on U.S. versions. Can someone set me straight? (impossible)

All players go to 120 but on EU units that is less volume. Only EU units have the volume cap and it can easily be removed with the RockBox tool

Nov 2, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #1,495 of 1,999
The Sony OS players only support baseline jpg for artwork not progressive jpg as Android players support. This is the most likely reason why your art is not showing up
Thank you! I was kinda aware of this, just wondered what would be the easiest solution, in case you know of one :)

Nov 2, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #1,496 of 1,999
Thank you! I was kinda aware of this, just wondered what would be the easiest solution, in case you know of one :)

If you are on Windows you can use mp3tag to extract all the album art and reinsert it after you fix the art. There are probably tools that can batch convert all the art but I don’t know any

Nov 2, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #1,497 of 1,999
Yeah, if you bought it in the US there should be no volume limiter. They all go to 120 with or without volume limiter, but 120 on the capped EU version corresponds to circa 100 uncapped.

Nov 2, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #1,498 of 1,999

I fix the art using the Free software GIMP https://www.gimp.org/

I edit the image, right click on it in GIMP and click File> "overwrite for filename.jpg" and uncheck progressive tickbox

And then use MP3tag as nc8000 says

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #1,499 of 1,999
1. Download tool https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1j3sj99v679af0/scsitool-nwz-v23.exe?dl=0

2. Connect the player to the computer.

3. Check the letter of your nw a45 in "My Computer" / "This PC". For example: WALKMAN (H: or D: or E: or J: or whatever)

4. Download the file https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/pub/Main/SonyNWDestTool/open_cmd_here.bat and put it in the same folder as the tool (point 1), and double-click on it

5. Enter the following command, replacing X with the version number of the tool (v23) and H: with the letter of your WALKMAN drive in "My Computer" / "This PC". <dest> is the localization code
scsitool-nwz-vX.exe H: dest_tool set <dest> <sps>

so if you double-click the file in step 3, copy and paste this and just replace H with what your PC shows

scsitool-nwz-v23.exe H: dest_tool set E off

you press Enter and after that you go to the settings of your walkman and Reset it
Followed these instructions, still has a limit of 120?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back