Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Aug 28, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #1,186 of 1,999
Am I the only stupid enought to (accidentally) interrupt the 'Creating Database' by squeezing the power button?
My NW45 was reset during update of the database and now it just keeps rebooting... :frowning2:

(I synced, unplugged and walked out the door with player in hand. I grabbed my bike and noticed I was squeezing the player and also holding down the power button. Now it is stuck in bootloop.)
I might be totally wrong, but isn't that a pin hole reset button next to the SD card?

Aug 28, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #1,187 of 1,999
I might be totally wrong, but isn't that a pin hole reset button next to the SD card?

That's a very good find!!!

Another shot in the dark is to remove the micro SD card and try holding the power button for 8 seconds.

Aug 28, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #1,188 of 1,999
4EB335CE-AD5D-4839-BDFF-E8D50DA36B86.jpeg 612D5AE6-BBA3-4D35-BF64-385D0804F934.jpeg

Thanks again David for the case. The fit is great and I added a print to the back for fun.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #1,190 of 1,999
Aug 28, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #1,191 of 1,999
Am I the only stupid enought to (accidentally) interrupt the 'Creating Database' by squeezing the power button?
My NW45 was reset during update of the database and now it just keeps rebooting... :frowning2:

(I synced, unplugged and walked out the door with player in hand. I grabbed my bike and noticed I was squeezing the player and also holding down the power button. Now it is stuck in bootloop.)

Have you tried plugging it back into Music Center and than click update player?

Aug 29, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #1,193 of 1,999
I know this isn’t an ideal solution but how about leaving the player to do it’s own thing until the battery dies and then maybe it will get out of the boot loop then?

The boot loop issue must be a firmware problem considering there are now reports of it happening on A45, ZX300 and WM1A/Z

Aug 29, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #1,194 of 1,999
the only option brought up by Sony is the 8second press on "power". if that doesn't work, the obvious move is to contact Sony and send the device for repair/replacement. there has been other occurrences of the reboot loop and sadly, waiting for the battery to run out didn't seem very effective.

Aug 29, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #1,195 of 1,999
Anybody here interested in the A55?

Sony will be holding their IFA Berlin press conference at 7AM EST on Thursday. It looks like the A series will be the only current DAP line getting an update as Sony either released or will be releasing a new firmware for the ZX and WM series this month.

The biggest potential news from Sony is they will be releasing some products next year with USB-C leaving alot of speculation that the A50 series could be a candidate for USB-C. We already know the A50 will be slimmer and longer like the ZX300, have the same internal memory configurations and reportedly the same battery meaning close to A40 series battery life. I just got my Shanling M0 a few weeks ago but by the time the A50 gets released in North America it may be worth considering. Especially if USB-C is implemented. If Sony stays true to form we should also see somewhat of a bump in power. They went from 10 mW per channel on A10/A20 to 35 mW on the A30/A40 so hopefully we will see like 50 to 55 mW per channel on the A50. Wow I just got it!! A10 series 10 mW per channel A35 35 mW per channel so hopefully that means A55 will be 55 mW per channel.

It is my great hope that since it will be a new design Sony will grace us Canadians with a chance to see it in the great white north this time around. Looking forward to hearing the Sony press conference as they seem to have several interesting new products in the offing.

Aug 29, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #1,196 of 1,999
Have you tried plugging it back into Music Center and than click update player?

I'm on a Mac, so no Music Center. But can try at work

Would there be any use in running the firmware update procedure with current firmware ?

Tried doing this, but no luck. Will try again to be sure

I know this isn’t an ideal solution but how about leaving the player to do it’s own thing until the battery dies and then maybe it will get out of the boot loop then?

The boot loop issue must be a firmware problem considering there are now reports of it happening on A45, ZX300 and WM1A/Z

Left in running until battery runs out. When I plug it in, it just goes back to looping

the only option brought up by Sony is the 8second press on "power". if that doesn't work, the obvious move is to contact Sony and send the device for repair/replacement. there has been other occurrences of the reboot loop and sadly, waiting for the battery to run out didn't seem very effective.

I contacted Sony through their website form. Hope to hear something from them. Otherwise I will return it to the store.

Aug 30, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #1,198 of 1,999
Anybody here interested in the A55?

Sony will be holding their IFA Berlin press conference at 7AM EST on Thursday. It looks like the A series will be the only current DAP line getting an update as Sony either released or will be releasing a new firmware for the ZX and WM series this month.

The biggest potential news from Sony is they will be releasing some products next year with USB-C leaving alot of speculation that the A50 series could be a candidate for USB-C. We already know the A50 will be slimmer and longer like the ZX300, have the same internal memory configurations and reportedly the same battery meaning close to A40 series battery life. I just got my Shanling M0 a few weeks ago but by the time the A50 gets released in North America it may be worth considering. Especially if USB-C is implemented. If Sony stays true to form we should also see somewhat of a bump in power. They went from 10 mW per channel on A10/A20 to 35 mW on the A30/A40 so hopefully we will see like 50 to 55 mW per channel on the A50. Wow I just got it!! A10 series 10 mW per channel A35 35 mW per channel so hopefully that means A55 will be 55 mW per channel.

It is my great hope that since it will be a new design Sony will grace us Canadians with a chance to see it in the great white north this time around. Looking forward to hearing the Sony press conference as they seem to have several interesting new products in the offing.
I think based on your previous comments on the A45 i think you shouldnt have too high hopes for A50, M0 suits you better

Aug 30, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #1,199 of 1,999
Appearances can be deceiving but it looks like they have retained the proprietary cable and just put the A45 in a metal case? Metal case would be nice but nothing to prompt an upgrade from A45, just enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth having only just purchased previous model. Much like their 6-monthly release cycle on their phones, sony need to calm the farm. Maybe release some firmware upgrades and extended features for their existing models before going to market with a replacement.

In other news, I just received the WMC-NWR1 walkman recording cable. Pleased to say the quality of the recordings over line-in are spectactular but limited to 320kbps MP3. My hope was that the recording function would work with my sony condenser mic as I like to record live performances from time to time but it was not to be.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #1,200 of 1,999

Thanks again David for the case. The fit is great and I added a print to the back for fun.
Your very welcome!!!! That is such a cool graphic!! I Iike it alot!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back