Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Jan 19, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #512 of 1,999
Yea you probably good. I just want the US ver. just in case firmware updates ect. I'm not sure how sony does it, but my phone for instance rolled out Android Nougat 7.1.1, but since my phone is from EU I cannot get the update unless I go through some Russian websites and download the update ect. Its just a hassle.

Let us know what you think of the player when you get it.
The updates work flawlessly and are not region based. Also with your phone you can probably switch your update carrier (go on xda developers and look for your model) and get the OTA that way.

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #516 of 1,999
Is there something wrong with the a45 being sold on Amazon US? I read that updates aren’t regional but thought I’d check since most seem to be waiting for the B&H version.
Also, is anyone using there a45 as a transport the a Dac/Amp? I saw Fiio Q1 mkii will work but wondered about others; cayin C5 dac, Oppo HA-2se etc.

Jan 23, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #518 of 1,999
Is there something wrong with the a45 being sold on Amazon US? I read that updates aren’t regional but thought I’d check since most seem to be waiting for the B&H version.
Also, is anyone using there a45 as a transport the a Dac/Amp? I saw Fiio Q1 mkii will work but wondered about others; cayin C5 dac, Oppo HA-2se etc.

The A45 currently being offered on Amazon is through "Rainbow Corp", which as far as I can tell is not an authorized Sony reseller. Their storefront on Amazon does not list any details regarding the company either (https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding...D=&seller=A30ZHEXCE0JSN6&tab=home&vasStoreID=)- usually under the name there is a blurb about who they are, where they're located, etc. In these cases the seller is most likely a third-party reseller selling what are essentially gray market products. They may not carry any manufacturer warranty and offer no support outside of Amazon's return policies. You see this a lot with cameras and lenses, albeit they usually come with a discount from the MSRP. In this case, it looks like Rainbow Corp is charging more than the retail price ($219.99 from Sony's website).

Essentially you're paying more for less, but you can get it in 2 days. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jan 23, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #519 of 1,999
The A45 currently being offered on Amazon is through "Rainbow Corp", which as far as I can tell is not an authorized Sony reseller. Their storefront on Amazon does not list any details regarding the company either (https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding...D=&seller=A30ZHEXCE0JSN6&tab=home&vasStoreID=)- usually under the name there is a blurb about who they are, where they're located, etc. In these cases the seller is most likely a third-party reseller selling what are essentially gray market products. They may not carry any manufacturer warranty and offer no support outside of Amazon's return policies. You see this a lot with cameras and lenses, albeit they usually come with a discount from the MSRP. In this case, it looks like Rainbow Corp is charging more than the retail price ($219.99 from Sony's website).

Essentially you're paying more for less, but you can get it in 2 days. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thank you! I'll wait or maybe upgrade to the ZX300 or something else. (Amazon Prime is so tempting at times!)

Jan 24, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #520 of 1,999
Hello everyone, I was very excited to receive my UK volume capped NW-A45 and listened to it for a few days and wanted to share my impressions.
This is my opinion only and another data point for everyone to consider when deciding how to spend their money.

tldr : I did not like it and I have sent it back for a refund.

What the Sony does right:

- Light and portable;
- Easy to use;
- Snappy UI and a nice menu system;
- Incredible battery life which seriously puts other DAPs to shame;
- A clean and clear sound;
- Good details, separation and lots of sparkle.

What I did not like:

- It sounded a little unnatural to me;
- High hats and symbols were clear and articulate but they sounded fake;
- Lacking a solid foundation to the music with no real driving power so I found myself having to turn it up louder than I would have liked to get some weight to the notes;
- Vocals were distant, unengaging and a little thin so I again had to crank the volume.
- Does not like progressive jpeg artwork which was actually more annoying than I thought it would be.

Before this I had the WM1A for a few weeks which I loved and was hands down the best I had ever heard my music. In the end I returned it because I did not feel comfortable spending so much on a DAP. I am not super rich and every time I listened to it, as much as I loved it, all I could think about was that I could have taken my wife on a much deserved break with the money.

My previous DAP which I just sold was the Cayin N3. It is not as easy to use as the Sony and the battery is nowhere near as good but it sounded more realistic, vocals were up front and there was a nice weight to the notes.

Thank you.

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #522 of 1,999
Hello everyone, I was very excited to receive my UK volume capped NW-A45 and listened to it for a few days and wanted to share my impressions.
This is my opinion only and another data point for everyone to consider when deciding how to spend their money.

tldr : I did not like it and I have sent it back for a refund.

What the Sony does right:

- Light and portable;
- Easy to use;
- Snappy UI and a nice menu system;
- Incredible battery life which seriously puts other DAPs to shame;
- A clean and clear sound;
- Good details, separation and lots of sparkle.

What I did not like:

- It sounded a little unnatural to me;
- High hats and symbols were clear and articulate but they sounded fake;
- Lacking a solid foundation to the music with no real driving power so I found myself having to turn it up louder than I would have liked to get some weight to the notes;
- Vocals were distant, unengaging and a little thin so I again had to crank the volume.
- Does not like progressive jpeg artwork which was actually more annoying than I thought it would be.

Before this I had the WM1A for a few weeks which I loved and was hands down the best I had ever heard my music. In the end I returned it because I did not feel comfortable spending so much on a DAP. I am not super rich and every time I listened to it, as much as I loved it, all I could think about was that I could have taken my wife on a much deserved break with the money.

My previous DAP which I just sold was the Cayin N3. It is not as easy to use as the Sony and the battery is nowhere near as good but it sounded more realistic, vocals were up front and there was a nice weight to the notes.

Thank you.

How long did you audition the A45 before returning it? What headphones did you use?

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #525 of 1,999
I only listened to it for three days. I could instantly tell it was not for me.
I have Audiofly AF 160 IEMs. A little obscure around here.
They are a 20ohm triple BA design.

I think you should have given it more time. I know with my A17 the sound smoothed out noticeably at around 100 hours. I to was not happy with the sound initially and almost 4 years later I am very happy with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back