Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Jan 24, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #526 of 1,999
It is of course possible but I think those two players need burn in for the caps which I do not think are used in the entry level players.

Actually I believe the A40 series is using some of the same capacitors found in the ZX300 just not as many. So it might be worth giving the A45 some time to burn in. If you have 14 days to return it for example then why not give a 10 or 11 day trial just to be sure. I have been fortunate enough to have access to salesman samples when auditioning DAP's. Being able to audition well used DAP's gives you a good idea how the DAP can sound given the time to burn in.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #527 of 1,999
Hello everyone, I was very excited to receive my UK volume capped NW-A45 and listened to it for a few days and wanted to share my impressions.
This is my opinion only and another data point for everyone to consider when deciding how to spend their money.

tldr : I did not like it and I have sent it back for a refund.

What the Sony does right:

- Light and portable;
- Easy to use;
- Snappy UI and a nice menu system;
- Incredible battery life which seriously puts other DAPs to shame;
- A clean and clear sound;
- Good details, separation and lots of sparkle.

What I did not like:

- It sounded a little unnatural to me;
- High hats and symbols were clear and articulate but they sounded fake;
- Lacking a solid foundation to the music with no real driving power so I found myself having to turn it up louder than I would have liked to get some weight to the notes;
- Vocals were distant, unengaging and a little thin so I again had to crank the volume.
- Does not like progressive jpeg artwork which was actually more annoying than I thought it would be.

Before this I had the WM1A for a few weeks which I loved and was hands down the best I had ever heard my music. In the end I returned it because I did not feel comfortable spending so much on a DAP. I am not super rich and every time I listened to it, as much as I loved it, all I could think about was that I could have taken my wife on a much deserved break with the money.

My previous DAP which I just sold was the Cayin N3. It is not as easy to use as the Sony and the battery is nowhere near as good but it sounded more realistic, vocals were up front and there was a nice weight to the notes.

Thank you.
Looks like that volume cap is holding the the Sony dap back ...that’s why I will not buy a uk sourced Sony player .. my Hong Kong A45 sounds very dynamic and the music is loud and has a lot of weight to it ...the thinness in the sound is because of the volume cap they never do it right..
Send it back and get an uncapped one you will hear the difference trust me ..I had a cayin n3 the difference was the soundstage but it was a bit smooth and laid back for my liking ....

Jan 24, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #529 of 1,999
Looks like that volume cap is holding the the Sony dap back ...that’s why I will not buy a uk sourced Sony player .. my Hong Kong A45 sounds very dynamic and the music is loud and has a lot of weight to it ...the thinness in the sound is because of the volume cap they never do it right..
Send it back and get an uncapped one you will hear the difference trust me ..I had a cayin n3 the difference was the soundstage but it was a bit smooth and laid back for my liking ....
Every user can remove the Volume cap on his/her own. No problems with warranty or anything. Its just there to follow eu regulations. Can be removed in 1 min.

Jan 26, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #531 of 1,999
Does the A45 need burn in like the ZX300 and WM1A?
The A40 series does not use capacitors for its audio output, so no. Then again if it did it wouldn't be so thin (although it would sound better and have higher power output), at some point depending on design and the bill of materials, compromises have to be made.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #532 of 1,999
The A40 series does not use capacitors for its audio output, so no. Then again if it did it wouldn't be so thin (although it would sound better and have higher power output), at some point depending on design and the bill of materials, compromises have to be made.

Also, the point most people here are missing is that both A30/A40 use a direct to digital amplifier. It is unlike any other amplifier in existence. There is no digital -> analog -> digital + low pass filter(AKA Class D). So, there isn't a traditional DAC inside. The advantage is supposed to be low distortion irrespective of the signal level (0dBFS or -60dBFS).

So, it will sound different than other players that you have used. Sony also uses a similar amplifier in some of its bluetooth speakers.

Jan 27, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #533 of 1,999
Also, the point most people here are missing is that both A30/A40 use a direct to digital amplifier. It is unlike any other amplifier in existence. There is no digital -> analog -> digital + low pass filter(AKA Class D). So, there isn't a traditional DAC inside. The advantage is supposed to be low distortion irrespective of the signal level (0dBFS or -60dBFS).

So, it will sound different than other players that you have used. Sony also uses a similar amplifier in some of its bluetooth speakers.
Will there be less noise too because of this? Noise is the big problem I have since my Dita Answers are so sensitive

Jan 28, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #535 of 1,999
Anyone notice, B&H has a date now. Expected in on Feb 12th.

Jan 28, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #537 of 1,999

To me this is great news! Clean, all digital audio path. Slap a DAC/Amp on the digital output and you have a nice little rig.

Jan 29, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #538 of 1,999

Actually Sony has been using this amp design since the A10 series. I got to read a sales brief on the A10 series when it came out which detailed the amp design and highlighted the absence of an actual DAC chip.

If you are interested here is a link to a review of the A17 that mentions the internal design. https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/survey-digital-audio-players-part-1-sony-nwz-a17

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #539 of 1,999

I find that interesting because back when the A30 series was announced I sat in on sales briefing by a Sony sales rep. They specifically mentioned the use of more and higher quality capacitors on the output stage to increase the power handling over the A10/A20 series. To help boost output from 10 mW per channel on the A10/A20 series to the 35 mW per channel on the A30 series. I assumed the A40 would be using the same amplifier setup as the A30 since it has the same 35 mW per channel output. I have never seen the inside of an A35 so I can't confirm this but perhaps I was misinformed or misunderstood what was said.

Jan 29, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #540 of 1,999
bhphotovideo eta update

So they now show an eta for the A45 of February 12th for the Moonlit Blue and February 21st for the Greyish Black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back