Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Jan 16, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #497 of 1,999
Spoke to a BH rep:

I sold Sony products for many years and they were notoriously late getting products to retailers.
I've been following this as well. I believe it to be the latter since they normally list out of stock items as backordered.

Spoke to a BH rep:
What is up with the nw-a45 stocks? In my country, even the official Sony stores don't have them.[/QUOTE]

I am not surprised at all, Sony is notorious for bogus eta's for their products to vendors, I know as I sold Sony products for many years. I remember the A20 series was listed on the sony.ca site as "Coming Soon" for over a year before you could buy one. I tried to order an A35 from gentec Sony's Canadian online dealer well after it was suppose to be released. The site said in stock but when I called to find out how long it would take to get delivery I found they had not received any stock and had no eta for it. When I asked the customer service person why they listed it in stock when they had not eta he said "Sony told us to do it". I think they pull this crap to try and gauge potential interest in the product before release in certain markets.

I couldn't find any mention of the A45 on any of the sites that covered the CES 2018 show for product announcements either.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #498 of 1,999
I live in the Philippines and I have been to a total of 3 Sony official stores near my area, have messaged 4 Sony products distributors, and none of them have the A35 and A45. I understand that the A35 is older, but I didn't expect that they'll run out of the A45 too. :triportsad:

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #499 of 1,999
I sold Sony products for many years and they were notoriously late getting products to retailers.

What is up with the nw-a45 stocks? In my country, even the official Sony stores don't have them.

I am not surprised at all, Sony is notorious for bogus eta's for their products to vendors, I know as I sold Sony products for many years. I remember the A20 series was listed on the sony.ca site as "Coming Soon" for over a year before you could buy one. I tried to order an A35 from gentec Sony's Canadian online dealer well after it was suppose to be released. The site said in stock but when I called to find out how long it would take to get delivery I found they had not received any stock and had no eta for it. When I asked the customer service person why they listed it in stock when they had not eta he said "Sony told us to do it". I think they pull this crap to try and gauge potential interest in the product before release in certain markets.

I couldn't find any mention of the A45 on any of the sites that covered the CES 2018 show for product announcements either.[/QUOTE]
There is a simple reason for that.
The A45/6/7 was announced at Ces 2017 and released in 2017 for Asian regions. But Sony delays (why I don't know) the release for it for other regions about 6 months. The same was with the A30 series. The problem about that is, because they tell the retailers so early it just seems like ages when a a consumer waits for it.

If Sony would release them at the same time internationaly the problem would be solved.

Jan 17, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #501 of 1,999

I couldn't find any mention of the A45 on any of the sites that covered the CES 2018 show for product announcements either.
The A45/6/7 was announced at Ces 2017 and released in 2017 for Asian regions. But Sony delays (why I don't know) the release for it for other regions about 6 months. The same was with the A30 series. The problem about that is, because they tell the retailers so early it just seems like ages when a a consumer waits for it.

If Sony would release them at the same time internationaly the problem would be solved.[/QUOTE]

That won't happen as Sony can't or won't produce enough stock to supply every market at the same time. That is a major reason for the staggered rollout with Asia first, then maybe Europe and finally North and South America. It could be Sony ran into production run problems causing delays. Basically there could be several reasons for the delay. The problem is if they delay to long will it push potential customers to other DAP's.

Jan 17, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #502 of 1,999

If Sony would release them at the same time internationaly the problem would be solved.

That won't happen as Sony can't or won't produce enough stock to supply every market at the same time. That is a major reason for the staggered rollout with Asia first, then maybe Europe and finally North and South America. It could be Sony ran into production run problems causing delays. Basically there could be several reasons for the delay. The problem is if they delay to long will it push potential customers to other DAP's.[/QUOTE]
Sony is easily capable of producing enough for every region, but since they rolled out the A30 series later it wouldnt make much sense if they would instantly release there new one.

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #503 of 1,999
That won't happen as Sony can't or won't produce enough stock to supply every market at the same time. That is a major reason for the staggered rollout with Asia first, then maybe Europe and finally North and South America. It could be Sony ran into production run problems causing delays. Basically there could be several reasons for the delay. The problem is if they delay to long will it push potential customers to other DAP's.
Sony is easily capable of producing enough for every region, but since they rolled out the A30 series later it wouldnt make much sense if they would instantly release there new one.[/QUOTE]

Having spoken to the Sony sales rep for Canada they did announce the A40 series early because the A30 series wasn't selling as well as hoped. The decision to leave out AptX support hurt sales of the A30 series. Even though they announced the A40 series early in terms of actually product available for sale it is about on schedule for the normal product release cycle. I suspect we will see the A40 series available for sale in North America for example very close to when the A30 series was released.

The DAP market is extremely small so it would be risky financially for Sony to produce to many units to start. If they produce units for the entire world market at the same time and they don't sell as well as predicted then they end up with unsold stock. Outside of Asia the DAP market is a crap shoot by comparison to the smartphone market which is what most people in North America for example use to listen to their music. I sold these products for many years and niche market products like DAP's are hard to manage in terms of production vs demand. First you see the demand and then you produce quantities to meet the demand to avoid over production. That is why you see pre-production offers for electronics products to help gauge demand and how much to produce to meet the demand.

Jan 17, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #505 of 1,999
announced or not, bhphoto withdrew $218 from my account on the listed release date on their site and no product is even expected. so when it ships they can bill me. they shouldn't hold everyone's money for a completely unknown amount of time.
If you have that transaction in your card already it probably means they are preparing to ship yours, I think. I have nothing on my card except the initial authorization which was then cancelled.

Jan 18, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #506 of 1,999
I just bought a green one on amazon...

I actually had NO idea it was so new! I was looking for a bluetooth player for the gym, and ended up looking at the A35, as I figured I could also integrate it into my home hifi setup and daily listening (as my iPod Mini is getting a bit tired. I can only change the screen after a trip through the washer so many times!)

I ended up at the Sony site looking at specs, and I saw the A45, and it said it was better, so I got that.
I then stumbled across this thread looking at general info (after I had bought it)

It says "Garunteed delivery by Friday Jan 19th", so we'll see! I can't imagine they don't have any.

Now I need to get a "high-resolution" ADC to digitize my record collection again...

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #509 of 1,999
Yea you probably good. I just want the US ver. just in case firmware updates ect. I'm not sure how sony does it, but my phone for instance rolled out Android Nougat 7.1.1, but since my phone is from EU I cannot get the update unless I go through some Russian websites and download the update ect. Its just a hassle.

Let us know what you think of the player when you get it.

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #510 of 1,999
I live in the Philippines and I have been to a total of 3 Sony official stores near my area, have messaged 4 Sony products distributors, and none of them have the A35 and A45. I understand that the A35 is older, but I didn't expect that they'll run out of the A45 too. :triportsad:

They have A45 in Cebu and some online shops on FB groups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back