Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Feb 26, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #676 of 1,999
Hi regarding the line out issue, i face same issues here but sony does sell usb conversion to amps like SONY PHA/ IFI etc i know some amps do not have a USB which is really a bummer but im pretty sure there are converters for the amps that allows you to use USB to connect to an amp.

Dear Mr ***
Thank you for your email to Sony Singapore.
With regards to your email, I would like to suggest you to walk in to our service center below to place an order for WMC-NWH10 USB conversion cable.
Sony Care
313 Orchard Road #02-28 to 37, 313@somerset
Singapore 238895
Operating Hours: 10.00am to 10.00pm (Daily)
Please be informed that the price is $69 before GST and the lead time is two weeks upon the order confirmed.
I hope the information provided is useful and should you require further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us at 6544 8600 from (Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm) or email atsg.cicenquiry@ap.sony.com for further assistance. 
We look forward to your continuous support for Sony Product and services.
Yours Sincerely,
Mathivaanan
Sony South East Asia
(A division company of Sony Electronics (Singapore) Pte. Ltd.)
Sony Support Community: _www.sony.com.sg/microsite/support-community
Sony Facebook: _www.facebook.com/SonySingapore

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #677 of 1,999
Hi regarding the line out issue, i face same issues here but sony does sell usb conversion to amps like SONY PHA/ IFI etc i know some amps do not have a USB which is really a bummer but im pretty sure there are converters for the amps that allows you to use USB to connect to an amp.

Dear Mr ***
Thank you for your email to Sony Singapore.
With regards to your email, I would like to suggest you to walk in to our service center below to place an order for WMC-NWH10 USB conversion cable.
Sony Care
313 Orchard Road #02-28 to 37, 313@somerset
Singapore 238895
Operating Hours: 10.00am to 10.00pm (Daily)
Please be informed that the price is $69 before GST and the lead time is two weeks upon the order confirmed.
I hope the information provided is useful and should you require further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us at 6544 8600 from (Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm) or email atsg.cicenquiry@ap.sony.com for further assistance. 
We look forward to your continuous support for Sony Product and services.
Yours Sincerely,
Mathivaanan
Sony South East Asia
(A division company of Sony Electronics (Singapore) Pte. Ltd.)
Sony Support Community: _www.sony.com.sg/microsite/support-community
Sony Facebook: _www.facebook.com/SonySingapore
The problem with using the usb interface is that in effect the Sony is no longer processing the audio, your using it just as a transport. Which is fine, but the line out let's you have the Sony doing the processing, which is why I'm buying it after all, to use usb would be a waste of money for me, I could buy just a cheap dap that allows usb out. It seems it's the only option other than double amping though

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #678 of 1,999
The problem with using the usb interface is that in effect the Sony is no longer processing the audio, your using it just as a transport. Which is fine, but the line out let's you have the Sony doing the processing, which is why I'm buying it after all, to use usb would be a waste of money for me, I could buy just a cheap dap that allows usb out. It seems it's the only option other than double amping though
then the only solution is getting a 3rd party wm port line out other than L5 from FiiO

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #679 of 1,999
then the only solution is getting a 3rd party wm port line out other than L5 from FiiO
There's no guarantee that those would work with the A40 series, some are saying there is no physical line out at all, Sony won't answer either way. Alas it might be maybe the Sony just isn't for me, it seems a nice device, but omitting something as simple as easy access to line out may just be an omission too far. Shame :frowning2:

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #680 of 1,999
The L5 is unfortunately now discontinued, and according to Sony themselves there are no options or planned options to provide line out. There are third party chinese cables which do it, but it's unsupported and the output is questionable. The conversation with Sony themselves was surreal, they kept just saying "use the headphone out". When I gave them basic information that a line out is not the same as headphone out they seemed really confused and stopped replying. Fiio too don't plan to reintroduce the L5 cable, again no explanation was given
I’ve got an unused L5 for sale if you need it

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #682 of 1,999
Thanks for the info. It seems odd that such a basic feature, which even budget players manage to implement just fine is beyond Sony. Others seem to be using the HO at max just fine, so I guess that's my only option if I decide to go down the Sony route. Thanks!

I have used my A17 with both the Fiio L5 cable with the Fiio A3 and Q1. I compared sound quality using the Fiio L16 cable and HO out from my A17 vs L5 LO. I did not hear any noticeable decline in sound quality going HO vs LO. I also found the HO provides more potential power and a slightly more holographic sound. I don't know about the A45 but going HO with max volume on my A17 added a noticeable increase in noise and a definite decline in battery life per charge. So you essentially would maximize noise levels on the A45 and then amplify noise even more when you connect the external amp via HO

With my A17 at Max volume I could barely get my Q1 above 2 or 3/10 and thus not really taking advantage of the Q1's power. I sold alot of Sony products over the years both portable and home and never found any of their power products designed to sound good at Max volume for any setup.

Personally it makes no sense to me to sacrifice battery life on the A45, one of its greatest benefits by maxing the volume on the A45 when you are also adding an external amp to to do the same thing. It has been found that many external amps don't start to open up sound wise until the volume gets above 60%. So when experimenting to find the best volume match between DAP and external amp via HO I set the volume on my Q1 at 60% and then adjusted the volume on my A17 to give me sufficient volume on my loudest tracks with the combo. Then I left my A17 at that volume and used the Q1 for all volume adjustments.

Unless specified by the manufacturer I would not go max volume on the DAP. For example, I remember when Fiio first mentioned the imminent release of the M3 people were asking if it would have LO. Fiio said it would not have LO but recommended setting the volume to Max and going HO with an external amp for more power. So in that instance I would do it with the M3 but only because Fiio recommended it.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #683 of 1,999
Hello everyone! I'm thinking of acquiring an A45 for its great battery since the iBasso dx50 and the Shanling M2s rarely exceed 6 hours (flac and dsd). My question is if I would have any problem to matching the A45 with the Cayin C5 DAC/Amp. Thank you very much!

Feb 28, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #684 of 1,999
Hello everyone! I'm thinking of acquiring an A45 for its great battery since the iBasso dx50 and the Shanling M2s rarely exceed 6 hours (flac and dsd). My question is if I would have any problem to matching the A45 with the Cayin C5 DAC/Amp. Thank you very much!
Connectivity with the sony is more difficult as they use a proprietary cable, there is no line out it seems. You can get a wmport to usb I believe, but I'd make sure you can source one before buying as Sony seem to not want to provide them very easily

Feb 28, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #685 of 1,999

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 0
Feb 28, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #689 of 1,999
I have the original L5 cable from FiiO and I'll try in a couple of days with my upcoming A45.
I hope they improved the line out, I read a lot of criticism with line out of A15 series, I don't know if A35 was better.

Feb 28, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #690 of 1,999
I have the original L5 cable from FiiO and I'll try in a couple of days with my upcoming A45.
I hope they improved the line out, I read a lot of criticism with line out of A15 series, I don't know if A35 was better.
It's a strange approach that Sony have with regard to line out, having to rely on third parties is crazy .when I sent them messages they really seemed confused as to why I'd want line out, and just would commit to any answer about cabling for it, really unusual

Users who are viewing this thread

Back