Sony MDR-V6
Dec 1, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #61 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by -Spanky- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, Sweet Spot, I will hold your offer for a little bit. I believe I will start a new thread here to draw new attention and that thread will have a new purpose. Thanks for everyones help.

If you mean hold off, not a problem. I, nor the velor pads are going anywhere.
wink.gif
As for why I'd buy them from you, rather than you sending them back to where you bought them ? I dunno. Sometimes I just speak hastily I guess. No biggie I guess though. Perhaps I'll still get some V6's while I'm young(ish).

I bought them from B&H Photo by the way, and I think they should still have them in stock. If you need a pair and wind up paying for them, they're easy enough to track down.

Doug

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #62 of 109
You can't go wrong with MDR-V6. I use it as my personal everyday headphones. I love it and use it in every genre of music. I own MDR-R10 and I still think MDR-V6 is good. I use MDR-7506 for studio as the industry standard because it's neutral and accurate. If you are looking for a fun headphones with colored tones then this is not for you. With this headphones you will hear 100% of whatever producer intended to mix with. I also have MDR-7509HD and I use it to record instruments with. Yes, it's better than MDR-7506/MDR-V6 but the retail price is a little steep. If you can find one for average $200 for it then it's definately worth it.

Dec 1, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #63 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't go wrong with MDR-V6. I use it as my personal everyday headphones. I love it and use it in every genre of music. I own MDR-R10 and I still think MDR-V6 is good. I use MDR-7506 for studio as the industry standard because it's neutral and accurate. If you are looking for a fun headphones with colored tones then this is not for you. With this headphones you will hear 100% of whatever producer intended to mix with. I also have MDR-7509HD and I use it to record instruments with. Yes, it's better than MDR-7506/MDR-V6 but the retail price is a little steep. If you can find one for average $200 for it then it's definately worth it.

Hi!
I liked very much your appreciation of the 7509HD.
I really like what I listen through them. Someone told me they were for studio purpose and not for listening purpose!!
confused.gif

I kept that comment in the back of my mind while I was listening to them and now I can say , after good listening to the 7509, that it's not true for me! They are more than ok for listening purpose!
tongue.gif

I feel lucky having bought them used but in a pristine condition and at a very good price .

regards,

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #65 of 109
i juz got the sony v6 today [2nd hand], it sounds good so far, but seems i need to play at a louder volume than my k518dj to get the same volume as that....anyway the v6 sounds alittle 'bright' on my cowon d2, but it sounds good on my pc though, maybe i have to eq it alittle bit on the player, havent played it on my 1st gen shuffle yet though, but i think it should sound better on that too than the cowon d2......ahh finally got my 1st circum-aural headphone after my supra-aural k518dj!! so much more comfortable to wear
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #67 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by imp0ssibled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i juz got the sony v6 today [2nd hand], it sounds good so far, but seems i need to play at a louder volume than my k518dj to get the same volume as that....anyway the v6 sounds alittle 'bright' on my cowon d2, but it sounds good on my pc though, maybe i have to eq it alittle bit on the player, havent played it on my 1st gen shuffle yet though, but i think it should sound better on that too than the cowon d2......ahh finally got my 1st circum-aural headphone after my supra-aural k518dj!! so much more comfortable to wear
smily_headphones1.gif

ha, i'm looking at either the Sony V6/7506 or AKG K518DJ for my Cowon D2, which do you prefer??

Dec 27, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #68 of 109
Been using the same pair of Sony V6 headphones for the past 8 years.

sony.jpg

Anyone ever do any mods to smooth the highs a bit?

Versatile headphones .. one of my favorites.

Feb 2, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #69 of 109
I have read all these posts considering the MDR 7509 and need some help in clarifying the issue with the bright side. I gave up on the AKG K701s because I found them too bright/sibilant. I went over to the "dark" side and got Senn HD650 balanced. As balanced I don't find them all that lacking up top. I'm considering the 7509s as an alternative to my Shure 530 iems because I realize I just don't like the iem "feel" in my ears. I might Pico my iPod classic or from what I'm hearing I may not need the amplification with these closed cans. But my question: How bright is bright? Can you compare the highs on the 7509 to the k701s?

Feb 3, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #70 of 109
Hey,

This is an amazing pair of headphones. Before I had them sent to me I figured I would go see them at the Sony Store. I asked a sales clerk if I could see a pair of the MDR-7506's because they are the predecessor of the MDR-V6's. So he showed me the pair and I asked him if he could then lead me to the V6's and he told me he wasn't sure what those are. So, he went to his computer and came back telling me they didn't exist. I started to wonder where this guy was educated about the Sony inventory. I looked at him and told him that the did exist and they were over 15-20 yrs old. He told me I must have been pulling his leg. So I got back home and popped out my new V6's and started breaking them in. Wow, the sound is impeccable. Before I bought these I purchased Etymotic ER-6i's because they were perfect for the certain kinds of music I listen to. I figured this time I'd want something with a little bit more bass at a reasonable cost, so i opted for the V6's. I was doing a bass test on it and it was one of the first headphones I've ever tried doing the full bass test within the human hearing range (approximately 20Hz-500Hz) and heard ever last frequency without a bit of distortion. I would reccommend anyone who wants to buy these headphones to buy them and don't buy the others. I had a pair of Sennheiser HD-280's and found they drained my iPod battery, distorted under the bass test and bothered the bone at the base of where my ears start. Anyways, enough of me talking, just try the headphones out. Amazing.

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #71 of 109
FWIW, I did love my V6's for many many years (got them in 91 maybe 92) before I found HF. The pads wore out, and afew years ago I got the 7506's at a Pawnshop for $35. They were very close to my old V6's, but they were more bright & sibilant.

After joining HF I wanted to explore the Grado series, and fell in love with SR80's w/flats. Much more bass and sub bass. Months went by and I listened to my V6's and 7506's ... WOW those Sony's were very bright and Sibilant, and the 7506's were almost shrill!

Feb 3, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #72 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by -Spanky- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to get the MDR-V6 with the BeyerDynamic 250 Pads.

Warning: the velour pads are substantially thicker than the original Sony pads. The added distanced modifies the acoustic transfer, causing a reduced lower mid balance, removing what little natural warmth exists with the Sony to being with. Oddly enough, I have never seen this complained about before. I suppose the true sound quality standards of most do not outweigh the added comfort?

-Chris

Feb 3, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #73 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by searchenabler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Warning: the velour pads are substantially thicker than the original Sony pads. The added distanced modifies the acoustic transfer, causing a reduced lower mid balance, removing what little natural warmth exists with the Sony to being with. Oddly enough, I have never seen this complained about before. I suppose the true sound quality standards of most do not outweigh the added comfort?

-Chris

They change in SQ is not too bad. The comfort with the velour pads is definitely worth it compared to the pleather, as it makes your ears feel very sweaty after a short while.

May 17, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #74 of 109
Hi,

I have the Sennheiser HD-497. I am happy enough with the clean sound. But I feel that the bass is not deep and forcefull enough.

So I want to upgrade to other headphones.

How does Sony MDR-V6 compare to Sennheiser HD-497?

May 17, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #75 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by eloidan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I have the Sennheiser HD-497. I am happy enough with the clean sound. But I feel that the bass is not deep and forcefull enough.

So I want to upgrade to other headphones.

How does Sony MDR-V6 compare to Sennheiser HD-497?

From what I remember about the HD497, you will definitely get more deep bass impact with the V6 (which were my first pair of good quality headphones, along with Koss Portapros). However you might find that the treble is harsher than what you have with the Senns, and the midrange to be kinda flat and cold. If you have a source or amp that can at least tame the rather sharp treble, you might find happiness (and at the very least, lots and lots of deep bass impact). A warmer source/amp is definitely what works best with these. I've since sold the V6 and moved on to what are in my opinion more well-rounded headphones, but sometimes I do miss the wonderful bass response I got from those Sony's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back