Sony MDR-V6
Nov 30, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #16 of 109
I have had a pair of V-6s for some time, with the Beyer pads. Before that a V-7 (no longer made). The sound is great, you absolutely cannot go wrong. And the pads make for a very comfortable listen.

Nov 30, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #17 of 109
I think I have decided on the V6 or the V7509HD. It is now just a matter of money. If I can sell my old laptop then I will spring for the HD. I really hope I don't regret putting my good money into buying one of these. Now, does anyone have insight into replacement pads? I wouldn't have a problem buying the Beyer pads but the only place I found them at they were out of stock. BTW, I really appreciate everyones help on here
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #18 of 109
I'll give the V6s one thing: if you like them, they're consistent, durable, and easy to drive. And as long as you don't go any farther into the rabbit hole, you're safe. Definitely don't follow anyone's advice as to "small upgrades" over the v6 tho. You'll end up with $20k in gear and wonder What happened.

Nov 30, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #19 of 109
Spanky, I very strongly advise you to avoid the Sony MDR-V6. I also like a strong low-end, but I found the highs on this headphone to be extremely harsh, and the bass was very weak in comparison.

I tested another pair of V6s and confirmed that it's not just my pair.

While they have terrific detail, the bass is very poor compared to other headphones I've demo-ed.

It was an extremely disappointing experience after reading so many favorable reviews.

Nov 30, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #20 of 109
I feel honored that your first post is towards me
biggrin.gif
And as they say around here, sorry for your wallet. I owned a pair of Koss headphones that were like $20 and they had pretty good bass but they got stolen from me in high-school. Other than that I am currently using MDR-G57G which I like quite a bit. I am sure that if the bass isn't what I expect I can mod the equalizer a bit and go a bit deeper on the tones if I have to.

Nov 30, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #23 of 109
Ok, you've been warned, you didn't listen. So the real deal is this:

The V6s are great for throwing in a road case as a live sound mixer, because they're bulletproof, and bright, and efficient, and you can hear what's going on as you're mixing a live show.

They're good for monitoring for cds for sale, because they're crappy in the ways most consumer gear is crappy.

They're bright, sibilant, and have sloppy muddy bass.

Don't buy them if you want quality reproduction. Once you decide you're looking for somethign other than cheap and durable and decent, they dont' qualify. $15 koss ksc75s sound better. $70 grado SR60s sound better. A lot better. Etc. If you want good headphones, what you're looking for out of them matters. Cheap and durable and compact and closed, V6s. Anything else, go elsewhere.

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #25 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by -Spanky- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel honored that your first post is towards me
biggrin.gif

I posted a few times a year ago but have since gotten a new laptop and forgotten my username, pw, and email used to register. But I feel so strongly about this subject that I had to register again
smily_headphones1.gif

Like I said, I think the detail is fantastic, but the bass sucks. Imo.

Quote:

And as they say around here, sorry for your wallet. I owned a pair of Koss headphones that were like $20 and they had pretty good bass but they got stolen from me in high-school. Other than that I am currently using MDR-G57G which I like quite a bit. I am sure that if the bass isn't what I expect I can mod the equalizer a bit and go a bit deeper on the tones if I have to.

Fiddling with the equalizer can be annoying, though. Oh well, let us know how it turns out.

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #27 of 109
I'm not a big fan of the sony cans I've heard. They have their uses. But they mostly don't' sound good to me. I'm not really who you should ask about $100 cans. I've already gone down that rabbit hole too far.

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #28 of 109
If you are used to $500 headphones and equipment that is more expensive than what I can count up to then isn't your expectations higher than what mine are? Remember, I am now using open air over the ear headphones with a 20mm drive.

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #29 of 109
THere are open air over the ear headphones that sound better than the V6s. The v6s have their strengths. Good sound isn't one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back