Sony MDR-V6
Nov 30, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #31 of 109
The V6 is an excellent entry-level headphone. Despite what grawk has said, I think you will be quite satisfied with bass (it is not as sloppy as grawk seems to imply, rather I find it to be satisfactorily detailed).
From a basshead's POV (I was one when I first started this hobby ), the V6 would provide a more preferable combination of quality and quantity of bass compared to the ksc75 and sr60.
It's true, the V6s are bright, but this is not necessarily a negative trait. Whether or not the brightness will annoy you will probably depend on how well the music that you listen to have been recorded since poor recordings with lots of sibilance and clipping will sound painful to those who are sensitive to treble range frequencies.

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #32 of 109
This is pretty much my first decent audio purchase. You think this is a good decision for me? I can say that I bought the JVC HADX1's and I hated them. The sound was pretty flat and really on the high end it seemed to do this / lol.

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #33 of 109
Spend 2 weeks reading here. Watch the forsale forums. Watch what sells well. Try something used. If you like it, keep it (or sell and buy new, if you want new). If you don't, sell it for what you paid. If you stick to stuff that people like generally, you'll have no trouble buying and selling. I tried a LOT of gear that way, when I was living in alaska and didn't have alternatives. And then you get longer to spend listening and deciding.

Nov 30, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #34 of 109
Maybe you should try a cheaper headphone first? In general the best-liked inexpensive (<$50) headphones are: the AKG K 26 P, iGrado, Sennheiser PX-100, and the Koss Portapro. Try those out first and see what manufacturer you like.

I bought Sennheiser PX-100s at the same time that I bought the MDR-V6 - the idea was to have one inexpensive portable model (PX-100) for walking around/traveling in, and one higher quality more expensive model (MDR-V6) for serious listening at home. I liked the inexpensive model tons more.

Nov 30, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #35 of 109
If I can afford them, would the Sony MDR-V7509HD's be any better? Has anyone here used them? I really really hate to go outside sony since I haven't really used any other brand other than Koss and that was so long ago. The headphones that some of you are talking about seem flimsy and cheaper. I like the fact that I can see the specifications of the sony cans.

Nov 30, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #37 of 109
You are asking about some popular headphones. Just go to a store and listen. Sony...guaranteed to be at any store.

Heed the advice. The Sony is bright with weak bass. I mean *weak*.

Quote:

Originally Posted by imp0ssibled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm looking for a circum-aural version of AKG's k518dj, i'm hoping the Sony V6 / 7506 would have a sound that is near that?

Nope, not even close by any measuring stick you want to choose. The V6 is a bright headphone. It's got a very sharp peak in the upper mids that is quite annoying and painful for extended listening.

If you're coming from some cheapo earbuds, yes, the V6 will sound full, etc. If you've heard other cans, then, no, it's not all that and a bag of chips.

Of all the headphones I've heard, the Sony is clearly near the bottom and is *the only* headphone that makes my ears bleed.

If you're so emphatic about Sony -- GO TO THE STORE AND LISTEN.

Nov 30, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #38 of 109
Here are my two cents.

I've listened to a few of the cans mentioned: V6's, K81DJs, and the K26P.

The K81DJ is my main portable can, as it has good isolation and okay sound. It's treble is slighty lacking, and the mid-range is sorta masked by the bass, but the overall sound is fun and works for the music I listen to (rock & alternative, mostly). Not the best headphone out there, but it's durable, portable (minus the extremely long cord), and relatively inexpensive.

The K26P were my first pair, and while I liked them at first, I disliked them after hearing other cans. Loud, undifferentiated bass overpowers the rest of the sound, but you can hear the rest of the music. Better than most cheat headphones, but not by a lot.

The Sony V6s are a lot different from those two, in that the treble and midrange are more substantial than the bass. I wouldn't say that they're are very bright, but they are in my opinion, even sounding and great for monitoring. It might be slightly clinical in presentation, but it handles most music pretty well.

Comfort is another issue. I would say that the V6s are the most comfortable of the three... but it's not saying a lot. The K81s have a lot of clamp to them, and the K26 to a lesser degree, so they can be headache-inducing for some people. The V6's rest more on your head, but it's still not a can that I would want to wear for hours on end.

EDIT: I agree, the V6 doesn't have too much bass, and you may find it slightly lacking. The best way to find out is, as others have suggested, to find a pair, try it out, and sell it/return it if you don't find it's your cup of tea.

I don't think it's THAT easy to find in-store though, as the 7506 is the newer model, but some retailers sell the V6's online, and some may be found in the F/S section.

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #40 of 109
What I don't get and what is holding me back from pursuing another brand is why are the Sony cans rated greatly (5 star) and the other ones mentioned in this thread they have mixed reviews? I am looking into the Grado ones now. Are the SR60's good or should I spend a bit more on something. I am hoping to have about $200 to spend.

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #42 of 109
I'm not happy about open ones but hell, the ones I have now let in tons of outside noise. Where would you recommend picking up used ones? eBay? I guess for the money I would prefer new ones if I can find them for a decent price. How are the SR125?

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #43 of 109
If you want closed, I'd stay away from Grados... it blocks out as much sound as some cheesecloth.

Search around for a thread that Skylab made... it's about some closed portable cans that run less than $150, I believe. He ranks the Senn HD25 and Denon D-1000 highly. Unfortunately, he didn't review the V6 so you won't get an opinion about them on there.

Honestly, you won't really know what you like until you try it out yourself. I know it's hard to make a purchase that you're not sure about, but listening to it yourself is the only way you'll REALLY know if you like it or not.

So... go my route and buy a pair of Darths and don't look back
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #45 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by -Spanky- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I can afford them, would the Sony MDR-V7509HD's be any better? Has anyone here used them? I really really hate to go outside sony since I haven't really used any other brand other than Koss and that was so long ago. The headphones that some of you are talking about seem flimsy and cheaper. I like the fact that I can see the specifications of the sony cans.

I have the v900's which, I assume, are the same thing.

They aren't bright. They aren't really great though, for different reasons than the v6. They collect dust.

Assuming the search works, look for "$100 closed headphones". Try google.
Look for headphones people have been recommending for -longer- than a few months. A few years might do it.

Hearing the headphones with music you know and if possible your source will let you know for sure if they are for you. Many music stores like guitar center et al will let you open a pair and listen to them, and sometimes you can even haggle them on the price, or once you know what you want, buy it online.

If you still want a recommendation:

If I myself had it all to do all over again in 2003, I'd get a pair of beyerdynamic dt-250's, and probably never look back, though they tend to run $150. I haven't heard anything else closed in that range (still in production) that I like - they're all flawed in one way or the other.

the dt-250 series is modular with easily replaceable parts, and quite sturdy. The 80-ohm model is easily drivable by most sources I've tried. I listen to mine for 4-5 hours a day in my office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back