Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #437 of 517
I got a Question for you guys , is there any iem's with the same or similar sound to the V6? I got a pair of the V6 for about a year now and I love the sound, but for my work it's better for me to use iem.
Ps. is it possible to bye the "for DIGITAL" stickers from anywhere? I bought my V6 second hand and they where missing.

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #439 of 517
I picked up a pair of these on the Amazon Deal of the Day today.  Anxious to give them a shot.  I have experience with B&W P7's (my primary), Beats Studio Wireless, B&W C5's, Senn HD650's.

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #440 of 517
Bit of a delay, I am currently using the Extra-Deep earpads, also from Auray. I got them because the Sheepskins were apparently a bit shallow and that wasn't something I was looking forward to. These ones are a little bit smaller in diameter than the stock ones I was using (Though I may have been used to them being completely shot to hell) but my ears still fit in them fine and after being worn in a bit, they're quite comfortable. They're definitely deep enough for me. They seem far more durable than the stock ones, and the jump in sound isolation from broken stock ones to high quality extra-deep ones is pretty substantial. These are honestly better than the stock ones when they're still fresh, good quality product. I had good luck with the cheapest shipping too, got em in only a few days and they were shipped from friggin New York.

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #441 of 517
Bigger, more precise sound stage with clearer bass and treble, all the clarity and control it sorely lacked before.  The headphone becomes more analytical as a result.  The bass is very balanced.  Beware that the upper midrange peaks will become a little stronger.  The current thicker pads are too much for me, the headphone becomes very shrill and nasal.  I'm using the thinner HM5s that came out first that lack memory foam, these don't exacerbate the upper mids very much.  If you get a set of HM5s, squish them under a pile of books for a couple of days.
I wouldn't exactly call them balanced, personally. I hear shelved off low mids, a big 6db upper and mid bass hump that doesn't extend extraordinary well into the sub bass, and an upward tilted response that rises around 8db or so from 200hz to 10khz.
I also hear slight ringing in the treble. Extension and detail could be better, and they're rather harsh sounding.
Tonality is good, albeit a tad thin. Soundstage with the HM5 pads is excellent. Not bad for 70$ however.
Also, there's a TON of modding potential with these. Pretty much all of my issues with the V6 and 7506 go away after doing a few mods.

Note: I didn't try them stock for very long. Partly due to the stock pads being kinda gross and the HM5 pads sounding better on the V6.

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #442 of 517
I didn't call them overall balanced.  I didn't notice so much mid/upper bass boost, it might be because I'm using the thinner v1 HM5 pads as I said there.

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #443 of 517
How do the pads come off and what do I need to look for in replacements? I just got these and for what I paid for them they are very enjoyable. I find my P7 to be more musical and more pleasing overall. I would hope so at 8 times the price! But the V6 is a great value and holds its own incredibly well against many headphones I've tried.

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #444 of 517
I am really looking forward to the arrival of my Sony MDR-V6 today! I ordered it at Black Friday price of $49.99 from Amazon, a price still in effect at this moment. Only once, for one day (Nov. 8) has it been lower ($39.99).

I have never heard it, but I appreciate the reputation it has earned and have always wanted a pair. I have the Sony MDR V400, which I've had forever and which has worn out its pads, and I anticipate that the V6 will become its replacement.

Anyway, the V6 strikes me as one of just a handful of headphones, including the Sennheiser HD 800 and the vintage Sennheiser HD 414, that any serious headphone collector should consider.

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #445 of 517
Well, they arrived.

I LOVE them! I am going on a trip and need some noise-suppressing closed headphones for the trip on the plane. I was originally going to take my Ultrasone Ed. 8 Rutheniums, but side-by-side comparison shows the Sony MDR-V6 to sound quite comparable to the Ultrasones -- not quite the noise isolation, but lots of good tight bass and they FOLD, helpful for my cramped packing! (Ultrasone Ed. 8 list at $1,600; Sony MDR-V6 lists at $70 and was available for $50).

Spectral response is similar up to high frequency... blue is the Sony MDR-V6 and red is the Ultrasone Edition 8

Isolation of the two gives the edge to the Sony MDR-V6 up to 1,500 Hz, and a > 10 dB advantage to the Ultrasone Ed. 8 above 1,500 Hz (which is where I think the "whoosh" sound of the airplane sits).

EDIT 3 Hours Later: I take it back... over a range of songs, the Ultrasone Edition 8 Ruthenium headphones are noticeably better than the MDR-V6, as you would expect from the price difference. There is more treble clarity and transparency, and better sound stage and imaging with the Ultrasones. But the Sonys are GREAT... so glad I got them!

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #447 of 517
  Mine just arrived from the recent Amazon Black Friday sale. Crystal clear, rich and bold sound. Love it. :)

I sold mine a year ago, then for $49 I just HAD to buy it again, one of the best bargains for me ever. And such a great headphone.

Unfortunately it says : delivery in 3-5 weeks. Duh...

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #450 of 517
Hi, so I've been looking for some over-the-ear headphones for cheap and have heard good things about the MDR-V6. I found this Taiwanese seller selling it for TWD899/ USD28. The seller tells me it's from China and claims that it's an original. He has photos on the page and I've looked around for comparisms between real and fake versions and it looks real to me. But for the price, I'm hesitant.
Link to the website is here. The website is basically a Taiwanese version of eBay. So is it a fake?
(And a side question: would this be an upgrade from my Superlux HD668b?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back