Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #466 of 517
On innerfidelity.com, the Sony MDR-V6 has a measured frequency response that is flat to lower frequencies and attenuated high frequencies less than measurements on the higher priced Sony MDR-1A and MDR-Z7.

Can anyone comment on comparing these via actual listening? Thanks!

The V6 came out when the diffuse field equalization curve was hip and new, and tries to follow it as reasonably well as a fairly cheap, closed headphone can. It actually tracks closer to the "ideal" than a lot of stuff from Beyerdynamic which is also diffuse field target.

Most headphones measure warmer than the V6, and most headphones are quite a bit warmer than the V6, because since the 80's, research has shown that more people think warmer equalization is more natural. I can't comment on the MDR-1A or Z7, but it's hard to imagine a modern consumer oriented headphone NOT being warmer than the V6 simply because the current trend is warmer.

Concert halls and acoustic mechanical stress test chambers aren't the same for a reason.

Mar 23, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #469 of 517
I wonder what toilet paper or a paper towel might do to tune them. I am sure I could find some info about that in this thread, but I'm too tired right now. Anyone try something like this, other than buying stuff like doggie treats?

Mar 23, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #470 of 517
I wonder what toilet paper or a paper towel might do to tune them. I am sure I could find some info about that in this thread, but I'm too tired right now. Anyone try something like this, other than buying stuff like doggie treats?

I recommend unused TP

Actually, that's a good idea and has worked on many other headphones. Problem is you need both good ears and even better, a measuring rig. I will give it a try this weekend, but give it a try

Mar 23, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #471 of 517
I recommend unused TP

Actually, that's a good idea and has worked on many other headphones. Problem is you need both good ears and even better, a measuring rig. I will give it a try this weekend, but give it a try

Unused. Check. But what about when I'm listening to funk? Seriously, can't wait to hear about your findings. I have two pairs. One from the early 90's and one from the late 90's. They sound pretty different. The earlier one sounds warmer and easier on the ears. The newer one is brighter, and a little shrill for my taste. Compared both with the same pads. Now I have brainwavz pleather pads on the newer ones. A little better.

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #472 of 517
I recommend unused TP

Unused. Check. But what about when I'm listening to funk? Seriously, can't wait to hear about your findings. I have two pairs. One from the early 90's and one from the late 90's. They sound pretty different. The earlier one sounds warmer and easier on the ears. The newer one is brighter, and a little shrill for my taste. Compared both with the same pads. Now I have brainwavz pleather pads on the newer ones. A little better.

My V6 is from 1992. I use velour EDT pads. I took out the doozie treats. I took off the pads and put some two ply under the round foam and reinstalled the pads. Highs seem to be attenuated a little. Very rad to tell without a measuring rig.

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #473 of 517
My MDR-V6s are well over 25 years old. I cant even remember when i bought them. I think i got them at Newmark and Lewis or Crazy Eddie on Long Island.
I also have a pair of MDR-V900 from the original line. I love them both! I can wear them for hours - although the V900s get a bit warm on the ears.
Luckily, its cheap and easy to get replacement pads for either headphone.

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #476 of 517
  I suspect they did not sound so harsh on older equipment from the 80s. They may also benefit from higher output impedance sources. 

It might also be that the Samarium Cobalt magnets weaken as they age and Neodymium does not. 

It would be cool to see if there are any new vs old comparisons when they just made the switch, rather than 20 years later. 

Was there outrage in early 90's about harsher 7506/V6? Considering how popular they were with audio professionals, someone must have noticed, but I have no idea where to even start looking. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #477 of 517
I remember them being kind of bright with with my d-25 discman. The earlier ones, that is. But that was 20-25 years ago. In fact I may be remembering the later, possibly revised ones. Not sure actually. I used that discman to death. Lasted 12 years, at least. Now they (my earlier pair of mdrv6's) are really great. Much better than they should be. Whatever it is, I'll take it. I still have both pairs. They were broken for years. I thought the old ones were dead. Turns out one of the screws had come loose and was stuck in a driver. They sat unused since '97 until now. Then the ones I got then had a headband death in 2006 or so, and sat unused until now. Bought a replacement headband and found that screw and now I have too many pairs of headphones again.

Jun 12, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #478 of 517
I just now received my MDRV6's, which I ordered from Amazon a few days ago.

First impressions are VERY positive. I love their light weight and compact size (for over-ear headphones). They are comfortable and the sound seems really nice. But I've learned from experience that I need to A/B with other headphones to really hear how good (or not-good) they sound.

I will be comparing with Shure SRH440, AKG Y50, Sennheiser HD555, Ghostek Sodrop 2 and others....

[edit}
Ok, so I just did some A/B comparisons. The Sonys clearly sound better than the Shure SRH440 and the AKG Y50. Richer sound and more clarity. No comparison.

When compared to the Ghostek, its a bit more complicated. The first thing I notice is that the Ghostek Sodrops are significantly louder. Like almost twice the volume. They also have much more bass. So they are clearly the ones for a bass-head. The Sodrops are also more comfortable, with more plush ear pads and more padding on the headband.

The one area where the Sony MDRV6s win is clarity. They just sound more pristine. They are not as "fun", but they would definitey be preferable in a working environment (music production, video production, broadcast, etc).

So....right now I have to say that although I like the MDRV6s, since I am looking for a fun headphone for commuting, the Ghostek Sodrop 2 is way out ahead.

P.S. Forgot to mention that the Sodrop 2 also has Bluetooth capability.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #480 of 517
Aren't they amazing for something that came out in 1986 originally? Makes me wonder how much things progress.

Yes, they definitely amaze. Thirty year old design, still at the top of its class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back