Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #452 of 517
They are 100% fake. The Sony logo on the pouch is the main detail where you can see that it's not an original. It should be white and printed instead of black and pressed. The ear pads seem to be cheaply made and the headband stitching looks bad as well. The "For Digital" sticker looks wrong, the text should be at the bottom of the sticker and not at the top.

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #453 of 517
My would guess fake, hard to say. If you are tight for cash they are a cheap ATH-M50~ ish headphone.

Buy from Amazon.

They are 100% fake. The Sony logo on the pouch is the main detail where you can see that it's not an original. It should be white and printed instead of black and pressed. The ear pads seem to be cheaply made and the headband stitching looks bad as well. The "For Digital" sticker looks wrong, the text should be at the bottom of the sticker and not at the top.

Thanks guys. You saved me 28 bucks. I'm going hunt for something similar. Any suggestions? Portable and closed with similar sound signature?

Mar 30, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #454 of 517
To me, it's really hard to tell. I am a V6 lover and I never found anything cheaper that did such a good job. Besides the V4 maybe which is an older model and is open anyway. You can definitely find some used but real V6s on Ebay for about $50. You'll be more than happy with these. If you have a doubt about any counterfeit headphones on an auction I'll be glad to help you out.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #455 of 517
Aug 6, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #456 of 517
Any of you guys tried this?

Wonder how the sound would change.  I killed my 7506 out of stupidity so I can't try it now, hoho.  I'll need to score another one later.

Nov 13, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #457 of 517
Dang. I pulled out my V6 from the closet to listen, and wow, I forgot how good they are. I added some MrSpeaker "Doggie Treat" to tame the treble a little, but I'm really impressed with the response across the whole frequency range, as well as the imaging. They aren't as resolving as better headphones, but they are still quite good.. At low/moderate volumes, the V6 fares well against the Ether C and even the Utopia.

The V6 is a great example of the diminishing returns one gets with more expensive equipment. Under $100 is very good, then you need to spend a ton more to get better.

Note, I got my V6 in 1992 :) Replaced the pads with EDT250 velour pads and added the doggie treats.

For $50-$75 I will easily recommend these cans. 

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #458 of 517
Dang. I pulled out my V6 from the closet to listen, and wow, I forgot how good they are. I added some MrSpeaker "Doggie Treat" to tame the treble a little, but I'm really impressed with the response across the whole frequency range, as well as the imaging. They aren't as resolving as better headphones, but they are still quite good.. At low/moderate volumes, the V6 fares well against the Ether C and even the Utopia.

The V6 is a great example of the diminishing returns one gets with more expensive equipment. Under $100 is very good, then you need to spend a ton more to get better.

Note, I got my V6 in 1992 :) Replaced the pads with EDT250 velour pads and added the doggie treats.

For $50-$75 I will easily recommend these cans. 

I got mine then also. I believe 1991. I just fixed them! There was a screw stuck in one of the grill holes--since 1998!! Sound was muffled and I essentially ruined the headband from using them so much as well. Removing the screw and screwing it back into the plastic around the driver fixed it immediately. Replaced some headband parts and now they are working great. Thanks to this community, for spurring me on to opening them. Got another pair in 1998 when they broke. Honestly, the older ones sound different and better to me. Much more pleasing, easy on the ears sound. A little more bass and overal smoother, but with that same mdrv6 detail. I've been comparing both pairs of them with the same exact pads. It's subtle, but I found it interesting. It feels and sounds like enough of a difference to put the older ones on another, higher level than the new ones. Has anyone else noticed this?

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #459 of 517
Are the Senal SMH-1000 part of the family? They aren't Sony but many say it sounds remarkably close.

I wonder if I should get these, just for the convenience of the detachable cable. Anyone here ever tried these?

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #460 of 517
The V6 is such a great headphone. Got mine for $80 a couple of months ago. Excellent build quality and it really shines with the right amplification. Very nice with the Chord Mojo and even a desk top tube amp. For me they beat many headphones under $500. They are that good.

Mar 18, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #461 of 517
On innerfidelity.com, the Sony MDR-V6 has a measured frequency response that is flat to lower frequencies and attenuated high frequencies less than measurements on the higher priced Sony MDR-1A and MDR-Z7.

Can anyone comment on comparing these via actual listening? Thanks!

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #463 of 517
Mar 19, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #464 of 517
The V6 is such a great headphone. Got mine for $80 a couple of months ago. Excellent build quality and it really shines with the right amplification. Very nice with the Chord Mojo and even a desk top tube amp. For me they beat many headphones under $500. They are that good.

I just got rid of $500.00 headphones and UPGRADED to these. This proves that Snake Oil is alive and well in the audio industry.

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #465 of 517

I just got rid of $500.00 headphones and UPGRADED to these. This proves that Snake Oil is alive and well in the audio industry.

Doesn't prove anything other than you like the sound of the V6 over the headphones you gave up. I don't subscribe to much of the snake oil, but I can easily tell the difference between a V6, a Z7, or most other headphones. Headphones have a moving driver, pads, and cups that shape the sound. This is easily measurable. Cables, solder, wire type, connectors, are much harder to measure or distinguish sound differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back