Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Jun 19, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #197 of 1,311
^ I'm actually quite sceptical about cables making a difference in SQ. I've used 3 different cables with my custom ES3X and have noticed no difference whatsoever. Never tried the very expensive TWag cables, BTW, nor intend to, not even at half the asking price.

No idea if the cables are interchangeable between all models but they definitely are between the EX600 & EX1000 models.

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #198 of 1,311

Quote:
The Japanese & European EX1000 & EX600 models come with two cables (1.6m & 0.6m). The American versions only come with one cable (1.2m).

Also, both American versions of the EX1000 & EX600 come with the same EX600 cable (model RK-EX600LP) - yes, the much more expensive EX1000 comes with the thinner EX600 cable! - The European & Japanese EX1000 have the real EX1000 cables (models RK-EX1000LP & RK-EX1000SP), which are thicker but more supple than the EX600 cables (models RK-EX600LP & RK-EX600SP). 

Not good.
If I am to get the EX1000 I'll be grabbing the Chinese version (which is the imported Jap version with Chinese printed on where the Kana should be). This would include two EX1000 cables. Although, apparently, the strain relief on the L-jack of the EX1000 seems to be worse than that of the EX600. So when it comes to long-term it might actually be better to have an EX600 cable (although, granted, you can always chop off the plug and re-terminate it with a Neutrik, Oyaide or SwitchCraft, or a straight one).
Replacement (sold as "upgrade") cable of the EX1000 is out, being made by one single Chinese entity (I'm not saying "firm" because I doubt that it is actually registered as one). See here. Price in CNY, which is about half the price of the EX1000 over there.
Disregarding the epicly poor translation, here's the correct translation of that propaganda paragraph, by me:

The central conductor strands have been polished using an ultrasound technology. It is then wrapped with 60µm of pure silver using a FEP jet-extrusion machine and then polished again with an ultrasound. The "micro-space" electrical insulation technology is another unique technology [developed by Beat Audio China] with an electron speed of 0.96c. This cable not only allows for a greatly increased quality of the bass but also considerably expands the sound-stage, both horizontally and vertically, rendering it much fuller and with more realism. The increased resolution allows for a higher fidelity in its music output. The [Nordost] Baldur (Bard?) Mark II allows for a more refined sound-stage and a clearer [instrument] placement, along with much stronger vocal rendering.

They claim to be using an upgraded version of the Nordost Baldur or is it Bard. If you don't know what that "micro-space" technology is, they claim that it is a "hyperspace hovering technology" (as described on their other cable pages) that allows for the conductor strands to be smack-middle inside the insulator wrapping for the entire length of the cable without ever touching the actual insulators. They claim that air is the best insulator since kilovolt-level transmission cables "are all naked". They claim that a conductor material coming in contact with a non-conductor would "introduce hyperspace distortion" due to the "contaminated electron stream".

Wow.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #199 of 1,311
^ It is when I read things like This cable not only allows for a greatly increased quality of the bass but also considerably expands the sound-stage, both horizontally and vertically, rendering it much fuller and with more realism. The increased resolution allows for a higher fidelity in its music output. The [Nordost] Baldur (Bard?) Mark II allows for a more refined sound-stage and a clearer [instrument] placement, along with much stronger vocal rendering that I become much, MUCH more sceptical.

They charge $213 USD for that cable, which is more expensive that the seemingly very good EX600 IEM! If I wanted an 'upgrade' from the EX600 cable, I'd rather get the real EX1000 cable for $57 USD.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #200 of 1,311
Yeah Beat Audio is very good at piling up seemingly majestic words for propaganda. They "invented" the "Triple Transmission - Extreme" "technology", which is a custom IEM with three contact points on the cable jack instead of the common two.
They claim that this technology will automatically tune the IEM by intelligently shifting the electron flow between the three channels, hence perfectly adapting the IEM to absolutely every genre of music in existence.
I'm pretty sure that two of those channels are either hot or ground. Or not.
I should go lop some of my fingers off.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #202 of 1,311

Quote:
If you look at the impedance for 800, it only states 16ohm(@what frequency?),  who knows, it may be 32ohm at 1khz like 1000, and 600.  And, 600 and 1000 maybe 16ohms at the same frequency that 800 is at 16ohms.  In that case, specs would be identical except the power handling.  To be entirely sure that they have identical impedance characteristics, you have to look at the whole spectrum.  

I am under the impression that a phone with a low impedance does not shift much with variations in frequency.
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=7&graphID[]=1003&graphID[]=1303

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #203 of 1,311
I'm just throwing this out here for fun.
"Beat Audio Oslo" Interconnect

(The top portion)
Insulation: High purity Premium-grade extruded Teflon
Material: Extruded pure silver on 8N-OFC
Electron speed: 0.98c

(The propaganda)
The Asgard-grade cable - Oslo has a controlled shielding technology that covers the entire frequency spectrum. It uses a very hard "scaly silver" [scaly as in fish scales] with a very high tensile strength wrapped on the exterior of the micro-space insulation structure (I know this part reads messy, even the original Chinese is excessively esoteric). Add to this another layer of insulation with the micro-space structure, the Oslo has the conducting capabilities fay beyond any materials that are just plainly "good". The Oslo can help us obtain a sound-stage with unsurpassed (and unsurpassable) realism and clarity with extreme airiness. The excellent tech specs, the shockingly high transmission speed (this is where the 0.98c comes in) and an extremely large bandwidth produce a very good dynamic (transient) response. Meanwhile, its refined yet natural detail retrieval is also very satisfactory. it has great musicality, great musical details and instrument placement.
The Oslo - Accurate musical representation. Heavily musical yet wholly balanced.

And then there's the
"Beat Audio Valhalla" cable. Interesting on how they did not give the so-called electron speed... ¬_¬

(The top portion)
Cable construction: FOUR strands of anisotropic electromagnetism-proof conductor cores + TWO strands of extremely fast transmission cores. Plus an aluminum box.

(The propaganda. I won't translate all of it, just the senselessly funny part)
The Asgard-grade cable - Valhalla is the best cable in existence for its natural sound. It is capable of unleashing every single bit of musical detail and transparency of your system. It truly deserves its "Asgard" title. The Valhalla provides jaw-dropping transient response and thus will not lose any musical detail. It is best suited for playing-back extremely complex musical passages.
The bass has a solid quality with strong and powerful extension. The lowest bass has an "airmass" that is surprisingly solid (I guess this is another way of saying "tight bass") that hits with strength, speed and neatness. The after-tone (harmonics?) can be clearly "seen". The sound of drums are rendered with respect to their size (as in you can "see" the size of the drums) and the placement is perfectly accurate. The force of which the drumstick hits the drum surface is represented with legendary realism.
The Valhalla has the capability of giving any system a natural accuracy.

See? This is how you market cables!

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #206 of 1,311
I take back everything I said about the Teclast, it just died on me I bet the battery blew up or something, I was looking forward to using it on the plane I'm going overseas now like literally it dies on me as I'm packing my bags to go to the airpot I can't believe I have to bring a DISCMAN with me damn chinese products.

Jun 19, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #207 of 1,311
The battery... blew? Wow...
Discman is good. Well, good, depending on the model. When they started to have ESP they got bad.
Not all Chinese electronics are bad. Some are worse than the others. OK, they're all bad.

Jun 19, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #208 of 1,311
So anyone finding the EX1000 an easier fit than the EX600?  There seems to be a few differences in the housing and nozzle really irking me on the EX600.  I swear to god these Discuss IEMs piss me off.  Just when I got the EX1000 down, now the 600.....

I gotta say, the leather case is over the top but very nice.  I guess I'm supposed to put my Sony Discman in there.  
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #209 of 1,311
Hey guys, I was thinking of purchasing the EX600 as my next IEM to succeed my S4. How does the S4 compare to the EX600, or the Shure SE315 vs EX600? Is there a noticeable difference?

My only concern is that from reading through this thread and a few other threads that the main problem with this IEM is proper fit and wind nose. 

Anyone knows any good place to audition these before purchasing in Toronto? I went to Sony store in Eaton's and they don't have a demo unit available. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #210 of 1,311

Quote:
So anyone finding the EX1000 an easier fit than the EX600?  There seems to be a few differences in the housing and nozzle really irking me on the EX600.  I swear to god these Discuss IEMs piss me off.  Just when I got the EX1000 down, now the 600.....

I gotta say, the leather case is over the top but very nice.  I guess I'm supposed to put my Sony Discman in there.  
biggrin.gif

That's odd, I feel like the differences are minor when comparing housing of the 600s and the 1000s. It seems to me that the 800s have the most drastic differences in housing and even then it's still pretty similar. By the way, how long have you had them for and how do they compare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back