SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 28, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #9,811 of 15,279
I just made a deal to borrow a fellow Head Fier's Z1R (and M9) for a week...really looking forward to hearing it again and powering it up with my Shanling M8.
Reading about the M8, I'd have thought the Z1R would not be a good match, so a good test to do!

Feb 28, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #9,812 of 15,279
Reading about the M8, I'd have thought the Z1R would not be a good match, so a good test to do!

Yup the thought of M8 applying its characteristic polish to the Z1R's already deliciously textured low end is quite enticing.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #9,813 of 15,279
Feb 28, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #9,814 of 15,279
So I finally got me an IER Z1R. A bit of interesting Z1R history. There was a long pause before releasing the IER Z1R and there was speculation Sony might have retuned the IER-Z1R. I am very certain this was the case. The production IER Z1R most definitely got a revision from the preproduction/ demo model I heard before launch. My IER-Z1R has more mids and a retune for treble. Believe it or not the preproduction model had even more of a WOW effect and it wasn't necessarily due to how great they sounded. It was due to their overblown stage, they still have excellent stage but it isn't quite what I heard at Can Jam. Basically the preproduction unit had way more of a deep U shaped frequency. Making the stage much wider than the production units we are enjoying now.

In hind sight I am glad they retuned these before launch. These are much better balanced from preproduction. I remember distinctly just how wide the prototype stage was. It was a room with speaker like stage. For folks finding the lower mids a bit laid back. Try more narrow bored tips vs wider bored tips. I am currently using a longer rounded tip from a set of DUNU DK2001s.. Sony definitely tuned these with a narrow bored tip for greater balance. Also I find that higher end silver cables matches up extremely well with the Z1R. Currently using the Leo Plus here with excellent results out of my Fiio M15.

It turns out the Z1R is a bit finicky of sources tips and cables. Oh and for folks looking for an excellent case to carry the Z1R with. Fiio Came out with a brilliant case which works extremely well with the Z1R or any ear phone with a high metallic finish. This case was included with the FD5 but are excellent for any earphone that you don't want the ear pieces clanging on each other. Brilliant idea with the divider which uses Velcro to attach the separators.
1614530989755.png Case cost $20 but well worth it to carry yours around. Just type in Fiio case on aliexpress and you will find these. I leave my cable connected to the ear pieces and they fit excellently in this box.
DSC07898.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #9,815 of 15,279
Sad day for me, I ended up returning my IER-Z1R. I realized the headaches I've been getting were from wearing them for 6+ hours a day during work. I went a few days with a pair of over ears and the headaches went away. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #9,816 of 15,279
Heard very hit and miss the returned ones, I'd probably just go for new. Accessory Jack around £300 cheaper, so not insubstantial, but your point is certainly valid.

I've been in the head-fi game since 2003 or so and have bought almost all my gear used, aside from cases where it was impractical (ie. custom IEMs)... only two occasions did it go sideways - I got a hifiman DAP that was significantly more beat up than photos/description indicated, and a pair of Ultrasone Ed 8 that smelled like smoke that was impossible to get out.

Everything else, including a handful of Amazon Warehouse purchases, has been stellar. We're talking in excess of $50k of purchases over the years. I just don't get the idea of buying new when you will likely take a good 30-50% hit on resale. If you can purchase open box items from a place that is reputable and allows returns it seems like an obvious no-brainer. Suffice to say I purchased my 2 month old, like new Z1Rs for $450 less than new from a fellow head-fier... which I like quite a bit, but if I didn't would only be out the cost of shipping or slightly more. This is not like buying a car that accrues miles and has parts that mechanically wear out.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #9,817 of 15,279
I've been in the head-fi game since 2003 or so and have bought almost all my gear used, aside from cases where it was impractical (ie. custom IEMs)... only two occasions did it go sideways - I got a hifiman DAP that was significantly more beat up than photos/description indicated, and a pair of Ultrasone Ed 8 that smelled like smoke that was impossible to get out.

Everything else, including a handful of Amazon Warehouse purchases, has been stellar. We're talking in excess of $50k of purchases over the years. I just don't get the idea of buying new when you will likely take a good 30-50% hit on resale. If you can purchase open box items from a place that is reputable and allows returns it seems like an obvious no-brainer. Suffice to say I purchased my 2 month old, like new Z1Rs for $450 less than new from a fellow head-fier... which I like quite a bit, but if I didn't would only be out the cost of shipping or slightly more. This is not like buying a car that accrues miles and has parts that mechanically wear out.
Good to hear - in general QA/QC is pretty darn good with these companies so you have consistency and longevity. One reason why buying from abroad doesn't concern me as much, especially if it saves you a good whack.

Mar 2, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #9,818 of 15,279

Both my Z1R, the 1Z, the TA and my Sony usb record player are Amazon Warehouse open box items and I’ve bought loads of second hand gear here on head-fi and only once did it go wrong

Mar 3, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #9,819 of 15,279
Received some guests today.

F0497852-1521-42AD-8EAB-C58DF1F3D96C.JPEG

Of the 3, based on my immediate first impressions, the Nio and Z1R are the clear favorites. The Z1R is really impressing me on this second round. Holy Mary Mother of Balls does Z1R's bass sound good through the M8. Shanling's stated intent to provide a signature as smooth, powerful and alluring as carved jade is really coming to fruition here...Z1R + M8 is possibly the nicest standalone bass I've heard in a portable setup. Any fears that the M8 and Z1R wouldn't compliment each other well are entirely unfounded to my ears. Could the Z1R be the more v-shaped compliment to Ely I'm seeking...time will tell. The treble on the Z1R is also really nice though since getting used to Ely's treble it's not quite as impressive. The treble on Z1R (stll) is a touch metallic at times...but the same was true of my Solaris SE and I was able to a) get used to it and b) fix that rather well with some EQ. In any case I've got a newfound love and respect for the Z1R right now. It also helps that the longer stemmed sedna tips (that I didn't have before) seem to be entirely mitigating any fit issues I was having. Further, my source at the time of owning Z1R was the n6ii + A01-- that board tended to bump the mid-bass slghtly and that may have exaggerated the slightly veiled mids on Z1R as while I still notice it to some extend it's not bothering me as much now. Really liking the bass on the Nio...it's a bit more technical/detailed than I was expecting on the whole...it's a fun and engaging listen though if I were to own one I'd probably EQ down 2 and 4K by a couple DB each. The M9 has failed to connect with me so far, but I will try again. Initial impressions are that the M9 is like a u12t with thicker bass and more personality-- neither of those two IEMs seem like they will take down Andro and VE8 as my favorite BA IEMs. More impressions to come.

Edit: Any of you Z1R owners out there who have access to a Shanling M8 or are contemplating one...do what you can to check it out. It's an absolutely masterful pairing.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #9,820 of 15,279

Of the 3, based on my immediate first impressions, the Nio and Z1R are the clear favorites. The Z1R is really impressing me on this second round. Holy Mary Mother of Balls does Z1R's bass sound good through the M8. Shanling's stated intent to provide a signature as smooth, powerful and alluring as carved jade is really coming to fruition here...Z1R + M8 is possibly the nicest standalone bass I've heard in a portable setup. Any fears that the M8 and Z1R wouldn't compliment each other well are entirely unfounded to my ears. Could the Z1R be the more v-shaped compliment to Ely I'm seeking...time will tell. The treble on the Z1R is also really nice though since getting used to Ely's treble it's not quite as impressive. The treble on Z1R (stll) is a touch metallic at times...but the same was true of my Solaris SE and I was able to a) get used to it and b) fix that rather well with some EQ. In any case I've got a newfound love and respect for the Z1R right now. It also helps that the longer stemmed sedna tips (that I didn't have before) seem to be entirely mitigating any fit issues I was having. Further, my source at the time of owning Z1R was the n6ii + A01-- that board tended to bump the mid-bass slghtly and that may have exaggerated the slightly veiled mids on Z1R as while I still notice it to some extend it's not bothering me as much now. Really liking the bass on the Nio...it's a bit more technical/detailed than I was expecting on the whole...it's a fun and engaging listen though if I were to own one I'd probably EQ down 2 and 4K by a couple DB each. The M9 has failed to connect with me so far, but I will try again. Initial impressions are that the M9 is like a u12t with thicker bass and more personality-- neither of those two IEMs seem like they will take down Andro and VE8 as my favorite BA IEMs. More impressions to come.

Edit: Any of you Z1R owners out there who have access to a Shanling M8 or are contemplating one...do what you can to check it out. It's an absolutely masterful pairing.
I always did think that your N6ii combo wasn't doing the Z1R any favours. The Z1R to me is quite special, a very 'real' tangible sound that comes from it... also, its still the most satisfying bass I've heard.

EDIT: As you now have both on hand, would you be able to give your impressions on the Z1R vs Nio for users here who were asking a while back? Although that Leo II cable is going to push the performance of the Nio up a few notches so that will need to be considered....

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #9,821 of 15,279

This makes me look at the M8 in a new light and the signature it provides. Clearly words ‘dark’ and ‘coloured’ simply don’t convey what the m8 does to IEMs

Mar 3, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #9,822 of 15,279
I always did think that your N6ii combo wasn't doing the Z1R any favours. The Z1R to me is quite special, a very 'real' tangible sound that comes from it... also, its still the most satisfying bass I've heard.

Yes in retrospect even the two sabre boards would have been a better match than the A01. I see what you mean by that, though in all honesty no IEM I've yet heard can touch Elysium for realism and natural timbre to my ears. The Z1R is a great IEM though. My main preference is for a more open and forward mid-range which is why in a pinch I'll still lean in the direction of something like Solaris or ultimately Ely if I could pick only one IEM...but in terms of providing a more v-shaped sound with slightly elevated bass and highs...I'm not sure it gets any better than the IER Z1R. You should track down an M8 if you have the means...would be curious to hear your thoughts.

Mar 3, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #9,823 of 15,279
This makes me look at the M8 in a new light and the signature it provides. Clearly words ‘dark’ and ‘coloured’ simply don’t convey what the m8 does to IEMs

Yeah we were talking about this the other day in the M8 thread. I made the following comment:

"After a couple months with this player trying to get a sense of how it works its magic on the low end I've realized a couple things. First is that the inky black background the M8 provides is of immeasurable value when it comes to perception of detail and nuance-- less becomes so much more. The second is regarding the low end specifically. The M8 often gets touted for its emphasized low end and it has been suggested that it might not work for more bass heavy IEMs due to an increase in bass quantity. I think what the M8 does is not so much an increase in quantity bit in solidity and weight. The FR of your IEM/Headphone is presented as it should be but the bass just manages to grab your attention with its texture, authority and grip while not really getting in the way of anything else."

I stand by this even more so now that I've heard the Z1R through the M8. The bass is positively addicting.

Mar 3, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #9,824 of 15,279

and here I am listening to my Z1R on wireless adapters after half a year of ownership.... Still sound great though.

how's the Nio in comparison? if you don't mind me asking.

Mar 3, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #9,825 of 15,279
and here I am listening to my Z1R on wireless adapters after half a year of ownership.... Still sound great though.

how's the Nio in comparison? if you don't mind me asking.

Here's a brief "first few hours" comparison I posted in the 64 Audio thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back