SONY IER-Z1R
Dec 9, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #9,376 of 15,290
Did you purchase on amazon.co.uk on Sunday? I bought mine by then and there where initially 2 available, delivery date Tue 8. Then it switched to one, delivery Wed 9. I then hit the purchase button quickly and got mine today. Great price! 500 Euros less than in Germany.

No - mine came all the way from singapore from @xanlamin via this website - £200 cheaper than amazon.co.uk! and superfast courier - thanks xanlamin :thumbsup: - can't recommend him enough!

Dec 9, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #9,378 of 15,290
No - mine came all the way from singapore from @xanlamin via this website - £200 cheaper than amazon.co.uk! and superfast courier - thanks xanlamin :thumbsup: - can't recommend him enough!

Nice, congrats!

How do you like them so far? Do you still hear spikes in the treble? I love the treble but my ears are nearly 50 years old so maybe not the best for comparison. For me, it‘s too early for a final verdict (honeymoon phase....) but so far, I‘m impressed. A/B‘d today with my Fostex TH900. Love both but the bass with the Sony‘s is even punchier. Didn‘t think an IEM could go that far.

I‘m also a treble and soundstage fan (love the HD800S) and the Z1R does a really great job for an IEM! Like mentioned often for the mids, there is a dip at around 2.7khz. I eq that, along with minimal bass and treble gain = sooo nice!

After a little tip rolling they are now perfectly comfortable for me. Started as always with size L silicon tips and it was a real pain. Thought I‘ll have to send them back. Then I switched between ML and M. M didn‘t give me the optimal seal but ML is perfect for comfort & seal. You really need to switch a couple of times to find the perfect match.

Dec 9, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #9,379 of 15,290
Nice, congrats!

How do you like them so far? Do you still hear spikes in the treble? I love the treble but my ears are nearly 50 years old so maybe not the best for comparison. For me, it‘s too early for a final verdict (honeymoon phase....) but so far, I‘m impressed. A/B‘d today with my Fostex TH900. Love both but the bass with the Sony‘s is even punchier. Didn‘t think an IEM could go that far.

I‘m also a treble and soundstage fan (love the HD800S) and the Z1R does a really great job for an IEM! Like mentioned often for the mids, there is a dip at around 2.7khz. I eq that, along with minimal bass and treble gain = sooo nice!

After a little tip rolling they are now perfectly comfortable for me. Started as always with size L silicon tips and it was a real pain. Thought I‘ll have to send them back. Then I switched between ML and M. M didn‘t give me the optimal seal but ML is perfect for comfort & seal. You really need to switch a couple of times to find the perfect match.

My ears seem to be contrary to the popular consensus and my initial reaction was my Nios + mx had the edge over the Z1Rs - and after having spent alot more time with them I'm still of this opinion (including the Nio with the m15 apex (which is my preference)).

The Nios seem brighter with better mids to my ears - I like to hear words when they're meant to be heard - eg the ansaphone message in the chromatics "there's a light out on the horizon". Or "aound for the aesthetic" by VANT.... Nio just does it better imo.

I completely agree with the consensus re the bass - Z1R is better/more controlled but not by much.

I don't like to eq - prefer bit perfect. No spikes in the treble for my 54 year ears. Comfort and seal is fine now I've done some tip rolling - smaller is better.

Honestly - if I'd got the Z1Rs first I would have stopped looking but I was put off by the fit issues reported by people and the Nios just looked like they'd be really comfortable (which they are) and up my street re the bass- I wasn't expecting to get everything else too - mids and highs (both IEMs)! Shocker!

Unfortunately for my pocket I got the Nios first; but I just had to audition the Z1Rs because of all the positive reviews everywhere.

They're sufficiently different and both excellent to justify me keeping both.

But if I could only keep one pair it would be the Nios.

Finally, anyone reading these posts and holding off on pressing the trigger on a kilobuck iem like either of these because you can't imagine they will be much better than say the fearless s8pro (circa £400 retail) or acscustom emotions (circa £800 retail), which I bought, don't worry. They are! :smile:

If you can get hold of something like this do it - you won't be disappointed!

Not maybe worth twice as much but a significant jump up in quality - like moving from a standard definition tv to HDTV, except for your :ear: 's

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #9,380 of 15,290
My ears seem to be contrary to the popular consensus and my initial reaction was my Nios + mx had the edge over the Z1Rs - and after having spent alot more time with them I'm still of this opinion (including the Nio with the m15 apex (which is my preference)).

The Nios seem brighter with better mids to my ears - I like to hear words when they're meant to be heard - eg the ansaphone message in the chromatics "there's a light out on the horizon". Or "aound for the aesthetic" by VANT.... Nio just does it better imo.

I checked the two songs you mentioned. In the phone message of the Chromatics Song I can hear a clear improvement if I eq the mids at around 2.7khz for about +4-5db. In the VANT song, there is no big difference, though.

I was thinking like you in the past - strictly o eq‘ing. But I changed my mind completely with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Now I love eq‘ing and can‘t live without it.

I also ordered the 64 u12t, probably coming in today. I am curious how they keep up with the Z1R. I really _hope_ I will like only one because this hobby costs me a fortune :)

Covid-19 and Home Office brought headphones back to the table for me and I think I exaggerated a little bit with 3 Over ears and potentially 3 IEMs. All in the 1k+ region in terms of cost.

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #9,381 of 15,290
I am using the IER-Z1R for a while now with a WM1A or a Qudelix 5K..
I really get much better usability of the Z1R with some EQ like these (coming from AutoEQ project).
I truly don't like any more the Z1R without some EQ.
With fixed bands on WM1A
1607607806262.png

And Parametric bands on Qudelix 5K
1607607886375.png

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #9,382 of 15,290
I was thinking like you in the past - strictly o eq‘ing. But I changed my mind completely with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Now I love eq‘ing and can‘t live without it.

I also ordered the 64 u12t, probably coming in today. I am curious how they keep up with the Z1R. I really _hope_ I will like only one because this hobby costs me a fortune :)

Oh man!! now I'm going to have to check out "RME ADI-2 DAC FS"

The u12t ..... will be interesting to get your feedback! This hobby!!

Dec 10, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #9,383 of 15,290
Oh man!! now I'm going to have to check out "RME ADI-2 DAC FS"

The u12t ..... will be interesting to get your feedback! This hobby!!

You really should. In comparison to the pricing of those expensive IEMs, the RME is a real bargain. And it‘s a beast of what it can do and fun to play with. Excellent with demanding over ear headphones, as well as sensitive IEMS - it has a special IEM 3.5mm output for the later. Really cool. Check the measurements of the DAC and AMP on audiosciencereview.

I think I can give my first feedback tomorrow. Honestly, I tried to dislike the u12t so I can send them back. I had a hard time at first to get a good fit with it and that really annoyed me. For me the Z1R was easier in this department. Thus, they lacked bass in the beginning and it was not fun listening to them.

But I know now how to get a good seal. And they start to grow on me. In some tracks they reach pretty much the same bass quantity/quality as the Z1R in others not. But they excel in treble. Treble is oh so sweet with these things.

Might be I‘ll have to keep both. U12t, more comfortable, definitely, easy recognizable in A/B testing sessions.

Dec 10, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #9,384 of 15,290
How durable are the IER-Z1R? My husband too the case with the IEMs inside (they were wrapped around the cable organizer) and he tossed it and it flew probably 3m . I tested them and they seem to work fine

Dec 10, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #9,385 of 15,290
How durable are the IER-Z1R? My husband too the case with the IEMs inside (they were wrapped around the cable organizer) and he tossed it and it flew probably 3m . I tested them and they seem to work fine

No why would he want to do that ?

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #9,388 of 15,290
They sound fine, the case was closed when I picked it up. I dropped a lamp by accident and he threw my headphones in revenge

Oh well .... :)

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #9,389 of 15,290
Oh well .... :)
They were under the bed as if they landed in the bed first before falling down oder in the nearby office chair.

I trust sony they're durable, how many times I banged and dropped my XBA-Z5 and still worked

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #9,390 of 15,290
They were under the bed as if they landed in the bed first before falling down oder in the nearby office chair.

I trust sony they're durable, how many times I banged and dropped my XBA-Z5 and still worked
If they stop working you just drop him? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Easy solution. If my girlfriend had done that she would be getting booted straight out the door. Haha Z1R > relationships

Users who are viewing this thread

Back