SONY IER-Z1R
Dec 10, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #9,391 of 15,290
If they stop working you just drop him? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Easy solution. If my girlfriend had done that she would be getting booted straight out the door. Haha Z1R > relationships
I bend his iPad in half until the display cracks lol

Dec 10, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #9,392 of 15,290
Went to demo the z1r and other iems at my local store. Really love the z1r sound but I could use a little more treble. the only real downside of the z1r in my opinion is the size/weight of the iem, the fit was fine but the weight urggh.
Anyone here tried the UM MEST vs z1r ? Could you please give me a comparison between the two (I have already asked this once in the UM MEST thread but would love to get more opinions from z1r users). Unfortunately there are no demo units for the Mest in my country.

8968560D-4348-4A15-8C62-B1BB8B7A6AE8.jpeg

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #9,393 of 15,290
Went to demo the z1r and other iems at my local store. Really love the z1r sound but I could use a little more treble. the only real downside of the z1r in my opinion is the size/weight of the iem, the fit was fine but the weight urggh.
Anyone here tried the UM MEST vs z1r ? Could you please give me a comparison between the two (I have already asked this once in the UM MEST thread but would love to get more opinions from z1r users). Unfortunately there are no demo units for the Mest in my country.

More treble?? What source were you using?

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #9,394 of 15,290
fiio m11 pro + stock 4.4mm cable, I do not hear any sibilance. The treble is extended but I want more "weight" in the treble tone.

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #9,395 of 15,290
fiio m11 pro + stock 4.4mm cable, I do not hear any sibilance. The treble is extended but I want more "weight" in the treble tone.
Wow, more treble weight? The Z1R probably has the most textured treble I’ve heard in an IEM. Granted it doesn’t quite have the air and sparkle like some of the Campfire stuff, but for treble “weight” I think the Z1R is unmatched out of the IEM’s I’ve heard.

Are you using high gain on your M11 Pro?

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #9,396 of 15,290
Wow, more treble weight? The Z1R probably has the most textured treble I’ve heard in an IEM. Granted it doesn’t quite have the air and sparkle like some of the Campfire stuff, but for treble “weight” I think the Z1R is unmatched out of the IEM’s I’ve heard.

Are you using high gain on your M11 Pro?
yes I am using high gain. And sorry for wrong wording, the air and sparkle is what Im talking about not the quantity. sorry for my english and the confusion

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #9,397 of 15,290
They sound fine, the case was closed when I picked it up. I dropped a lamp by accident and he threw my headphones in revenge
what the heck???

that's completely unacceptable...you did something by accident and he needed "revenge?"

glad your z1r is ok.

Dec 11, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #9,398 of 15,290
what the heck???

that's completely unacceptable...you did something by accident and he needed "revenge?"

glad your z1r is ok.
Tested them in secret right now withdsd tracks and some audiophile cd recordings from the AEOLUS froberger edition, I can confirm they work fine, all details exposed the mechanical sounds of a Harpsichord, e.g. sliding keyboard couplers, plectra, squeaky keys and even breathing of some one (prob. The musician) so @grooveriders I dont think you need more treble.

Dec 11, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #9,399 of 15,290
A tip for other Z1R newbies - test them thoroughly with literally all available eartips that came with the Sony box.

I started with size L as this fits for me with most of IEMs. The sound was ok but it was really uncomfortable after a couple of minutes of listening time.

Then I started to try out _all_ sizes down to „SS“ with the triple comfort as well as silicone rubber. I found that for me personally, MS Silicone Rubber is the way to go with the Z1Rs. I‘d never expeced this. But like people say about them - it all comes down to the fit!

Now with MS I can put them a little further into my ear canal, it is now comfortable and at least equally important, the sound is now top notch. Before I found the right fit the bass was not that punchy and the treble was not as extended and nice. Like I said I found the u12t Bass nearly as impactful as the Z1Rs. Now the Z1Rs lead by some mileage :)

Still, I love them both. I think they deliver both a very enjoyable sound signature in different ways to justify to take the plunch and owning them both. Like I said, the treble is second to none with the u12t. The bass is second to none with the Z1R. I think these two IEMs show what “audiophile“ quality means.

Dec 12, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #9,402 of 15,290
My Sony's came only with 2 types of ear-tips and none of them was overly fantastic or comfortable ? How many different types of ear-tips were in your box ?
sony-ier-z1r.jpg

Exactly like yours. I meant you should try many (if not all) different sizes, both silicon and triple comfort.

I went further in my testing and now find MS Triple (right ear) and S Triple (left) to be even more comfortable then both silicon MS for me :)

Which tips are you using, I see they are different from those in the package?

Dec 12, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #9,403 of 15,290
My Sony's came only with 2 types of ear-tips and none of them was overly fantastic or comfortable ? How many different types of ear-tips were in your box ?
sony-ier-z1r.jpg

There are loads and loads of 3rd party tips out there as well. I’ve tried many but keep coming back to Final Audio E tips. I’ve got EarTunes Oval tips on the way to try next

Dec 12, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #9,404 of 15,290
Acoustune AET07's are the best for me with the Z1R, keep coming back to them but they are the most comfortable and offer the most balanced sound to my ears....plus they stay on the bore of the IEMs when you take them out.... always a bonus hahaha

Dec 12, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #9,405 of 15,290
yes I am using high gain. And sorry for wrong wording, the air and sparkle is what Im talking about not the quantity. sorry for my english and the confusion

I totally understand your ideas of the IER-Z1R treble. The personality of the IER-Z1R treble is very almost compact in comparison to BA treble. I also notice this as the other IEM I use is the Noble Encore 10 BA per side IEM. And while the Encore is not rated to do those dog whistle high frequencies like the IER-Z1R, it’s kind of thought of as (the Encore) adding that missing air and sparkle that is missing.

My suggestion is simply getting acclimated with the IER treble. In whole it’s maybe more accurate than many BA IEMs, but offers a more precise and directed approach. Most of this IEM listening is simply adjusting your mind from what your used to hearing. There is something to be said about doing a hearing reset where you take a break and then come back to a product to try and get a more objective idea of what’s going on. BA treble is more buzzy and full at times but the best way to explain it is typically BA treble. Also as mentioned in this thread for years; much of the ideas on treble come from placement of the IER. It only fits me one way. But.....others have found using a slightly smaller tip allows for a deeper depth which can increase the treble slightly. Often in the early days many different takes on the treble took place, even with some changing the foam inserts to gain treble energy. Then also you will have the opposite camp saying the IER has too much treble. As such we can always witness how fully subjective this IEM game truly is.

Cheers.

Oh.....the other thing is the 7K peak the Encore does, which will be a thing sometimes done with BA IEMs.....to do just that and add “air”. It’s maybe not more but a kind of fanning out of treble across the upper soundstage which gives the feeling of quantity though not always quality. :)

I like the IER best!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back