SONY IER-Z1R
Dec 5, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #9,361 of 15,271
Hey ... not sure.. I believe someone just had it left at max volume ... yeah as I said I bet this stuff happens all the time. it was just a 2-3 second blast...I'd imagine something this well designed and engineered factors human error in for short periods .. maybe playing at max from hugo would have effect if you left it for 5-10min ... not sure ...
Pretty sure they test these IEM's with Pink noise and at high volume before sending them out for mass manufacturer. I remember reading something in the 64 audio thread about it recently so I'd Imagine Sony uses the same, if not a more robust process. They should be fine.

Dec 5, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #9,362 of 15,271
Also, shameless plug. I have 2 new pairs of ADV oval eartips for sale on the classifieds on here and also Ebay. Unfortunately they don't fit me and costed an arm and a leg to get them sent over to the UK. Those of you from the UK go check them out! Meant to be a solid pairing with the Z1R.

Dec 5, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #9,363 of 15,271
Thanks for the reassurance guys! Appreciate it!

I tested the Kann Alpha yesterday too and it isn't for me tbh..bass appears less tight than mojo and the highs didnt pop as much ... via 4.4 it did pop with nice impact overall a little bit more but the frequency profile was still the same

Mojo vs Hugo2 was much harder to get my head around. Like on a technical level the hugo2 trounces the mojo but unfortunately I just found the overal presentation too studio like and at times , almost digital sounding it is so high-res .... I tried the IFI which is 600e and wasn;t really feeling the vibe either

The mojo just nails the hifi sound overall with the Z1R that despite the added distortion, narrower staging and less impact, I still prefer the mojo to the Hugo2 ...

I really wish this weren't the case. I kinda want something inbetween the Mojo and the Hugo2 .... would the Hugo1 be a good idea? As I like the mojo dac filter but just want something with more oomph and less distortion in the amp circuit ... when the music gets really busy the mojo does lose clarity compared to the hugo2

Dan

Dec 5, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #9,364 of 15,271

I tested the Kann Alpha yesterday too and it isn't for me tbh..bass appears less tight than mojo and the highs didnt pop as much ... via 4.4 it did pop with nice impact overall a little bit more but the frequency profile was still the same

Mojo vs Hugo2 was much harder to get my head around. Like on a technical level the hugo2 trounces the mojo but unfortunately I just found the overal presentation too studio like and at times , almost digital sounding it is so high-res .... I tried the IFI which is 600e and wasn;t really feeling the vibe either

The mojo just nails the hifi sound overall with the Z1R that despite the added distortion, narrower staging and less impact, I still prefer the mojo to the Hugo2 ...

I really wish this weren't the case. I kinda want something inbetween the Mojo and the Hugo2 .... would the Hugo1 be a good idea? As I like the mojo dac filter but just want something with more oomph and less distortion in the amp circuit ... when the music gets really busy the mojo does lose clarity compared to the hugo2

Dan

Hmm Ive not heard the Alpha but I thought the Cube was a great pairing with the Z1R via the 2.5mm output on high gain? Do you have the ability to test that?

Dec 5, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #9,366 of 15,271
I don't have a Z1R, but I did go from a Mojo to a used Hugo last year and found it was an upgrade in every way. Most apparent, were that colors seemed more vivid, backgrounds more stark, sounds more lifelike. The Mojo just sounded fuzzy and gray in comparison.

But that said, I still don't think the Hugo has enough power to properly drive full sized headphones. Perhaps it is enough for IEMs, but even then I use a Topping A90 for amp duties.

I wish I could tell you how it sounds on a Z1R... 😉

Dan

Dec 5, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #9,367 of 15,271
i have the ak sp2000, and i do not know if this is the best portable solution to dirve the ier z1r, dam I should have tried the hugo2 before I sold it

so my question, which is the best portable solution for the ier z1r, if its chord hugo2 then I will buy it again, as it was amazing with all my iems when I had it, but I sold it before testing it with my ier z1r

I will not use any iem with a desktop amp/dac that is not for portable or transportable use, as then i will get used to that sound, and all else will not be ideal anymore

Dec 6, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #9,368 of 15,271
Finally got my hands on the Final Audio E tips, so far the best tips I've tried. There's less sound isolation than the Comply 200's, but there's less bass bloat and a more natural sound signature. My ears require different sizes per side, so the 5 sizes are absolutely perfect for me. I can't believe I haven't tried this before!

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #9,369 of 15,271
Been blown away at improvement of macbook with audirvana feeding my mojo so ahead of thinking about Hugo1 I will try this cool portable super low noise player with the mojo and see if the same cleaning up of the bass happens like with audirvana https://www.headfonia.com/xduoo-x10tii-review/2/

Really loving the Z1R .. I will hopefully write a review in the next few weeks

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #9,370 of 15,271
Been blown away at improvement of macbook with audirvana feeding my mojo so ahead of thinking about Hugo1 I will try this cool portable super low noise player with the mojo and see if the same cleaning up of the bass happens like with audirvana https://www.headfonia.com/xduoo-x10tii-review/2/

Really loving the Z1R .. I will hopefully write a review in the next few weeks

Another great program is Colibri for the Mac. I hear it can be an issue trying to use it with a network, but as stand alone and playing anything from 24bit FLAC to DSD on the Mac, it’s amazing.
https://colibri-lossless.com/

Dec 8, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #9,371 of 15,271
My Z1Rs arrived today!

What a treat. My Nios came back from repair yesterday and my brand new Z1Rs arrived today. Christmas came early!

A/Bing them on the mojo is a breeze with the two outputs but honestly my first impressions are that there is very little in it between the Nio (with mx) and the Z1R - in fact i'm leaning more to the Nio (slightly brighter).

The fit seems fine on the Z1R but I can see how the sharp edge could annoy as the iem naturally gets pulled up.

The Z1Rs may end up for UK sale on here shortly....

Dec 8, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #9,372 of 15,271
Thanks for the rec. will check it out!

I listened to my AP60 into mojo last night and definitely feeling the added noise from this nice but budget dap compared to audirvana. Really looking forward to tested the Xduoo x10T !

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #9,374 of 15,271
I'm keeping these.

They're very nice
liking the z1r, huh?

just picked up a pair myself.

listened for a few hours, then left the next day for a road trip...and i'm not traveling with my gear.

:sob:

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #9,375 of 15,271
My Z1Rs arrived today!

What a treat. My Nios came back from repair yesterday and my brand new Z1Rs arrived today. Christmas came early!

A/Bing them on the mojo is a breeze with the two outputs but honestly my first impressions are that there is very little in it between the Nio (with mx) and the Z1R - in fact i'm leaning more to the Nio (slightly brighter).

The fit seems fine on the Z1R but I can see how the sharp edge could annoy as the iem naturally gets pulled up.

The Z1Rs may end up for UK sale on here shortly....

Did you purchase on amazon.co.uk on Sunday? I bought mine by then and there where initially 2 available, delivery date Tue 8. Then it switched to one, delivery Wed 9. I then hit the purchase button quickly and got mine today. Great price! 500 Euros less than in Germany.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back