SONY IER-Z1R
Dec 12, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #9,406 of 15,376
IMG_0694.JPG

Well... These finally came in today!
Shipping to quite a while but they're here now!!!

I'm actually glad I got 3 sizes since the fit and seal were quite different from the IEMs that I have.

For example S for the IER-Z1R, M for the Zeus XR-A and The FitEar Monet17, while L for the Layla and FitEar TG334.

These pretty much replaced what I thought was the best seal and fit for the Z1R which was the new Final Audio Type E for TWS. I liked the shorter form factor and larger bore but man these Eartunes are something else in terms of comfort and seal.

Dec 13, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #9,408 of 15,376
Yeah.. too bad some members got these after my recommendation and ended up not getting a good seal.

Eartunes are permanently glued to my IER-Z1R.

I actually didn't get a good seal at the beginning with my other IEMs, First I went through the sizes, and then after that, I played around with rotation and then it just clicked. lol

After playing around with that I went back through the sizing to find the right seal without any breakage when I lean my head backwards.

Dec 13, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #9,409 of 15,376
Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #9,412 of 15,376
Went to demo the z1r and other iems at my local store. Really love the z1r sound but I could use a little more treble. the only real downside of the z1r in my opinion is the size/weight of the iem, the fit was fine but the weight urggh.
Anyone here tried the UM MEST vs z1r ? Could you please give me a comparison between the two (I have already asked this once in the UM MEST thread but would love to get more opinions from z1r users). Unfortunately there are no demo units for the Mest in my country.
I have both, and have actually recently had the VE Elysium on trial from the tour. God do those have amazing treble! Almost KSE12500 level.

MEST has a very similar treble to the Ely tbh, but it's not quite as effortless and natural. MEST shimmers and crunches a bit more, but it's still so clean and effortless - more so than Z1R.

Where Z1R outshines MEST though is the sense of realism, texture and tone. It's a more coherent and mature sounding IEM, with really exemplary bass. Midrange on both of these are kind of their weaknesses, Z1R particularly sounds stuffy in midbass and lower mids (too much), and MEST sounds too wimpy in the midbass to lower mids (not enough weight). Upper mids both tend to be energetic, but MEST sometimes is a bit too much. In fact, I don't find the frequency response to be too elevated in the upper mids for MEST, but rather I think I hear a lack of coherency in that region, and the est's trying to mix in, makes for a bit of a digitized effect with some music.

With really good recordings however, MEST outshines Z1R imho, Z1R always imposes its character, but seems to plateau compared to the likes of KSE1500, Ely or MEST with really detailed music; I'm guessing the effortless nature of the est's, when perfectly matched can allow for a real immersion where you feel there with the artist. KSE1500 is truly the best at that, but sometimes that IEM simply doesn't work :frowning2:

My 2 cents, they're my complimentary iem's now.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 14, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #9,413 of 15,376
... Midrange on both of these are kind of their weaknesses, Z1R particularly sounds stuffy in midbass and lower mids (too much)...

Hmm strange, I don't hear that in the Z1R at all, I'd even go as far as saying it could do with more mid bass. But I have the Dorado 2020 now to scratch that itch. The Z1R is still the king of Sub bass.

Dec 14, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #9,415 of 15,376
It was the XBA-Z5 that served as their previous flagship.

Came out around 2014 at a price of US$700 I believe.

Dec 14, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #9,416 of 15,376
It was the XBA-Z5 that served as their previous flagship.

Came out around 2014 at a price of US$700 I believe.
Thank you. So should be expecting something around 2022 and the mid 2k mark 😐🥲 best get saving, I ain’t waiting as long to pick this one up if the reviews are as good as the Z1R.

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #9,417 of 15,376
I have both, and have actually recently had the VE Elysium on trial from the tour. God do those have amazing treble! Almost KSE12500 level.

MEST has a very similar treble to the Ely tbh, but it's not quite as effortless and natural. MEST shimmers and crunches a bit more, but it's still so clean and effortless - more so than Z1R.

Where Z1R outshines MEST though is the sense of realism, texture and tone. It's a more coherent and mature sounding IEM, with really exemplary bass. Midrange on both of these are kind of their weaknesses, Z1R particularly sounds stuffy in midbass and lower mids (too much), and MEST sounds too wimpy in the midbass to lower mids (not enough weight). Upper mids both tend to be energetic, but MEST sometimes is a bit too much. In fact, I don't find the frequency response to be too elevated in the upper mids for MEST, but rather I think I hear a lack of coherency in that region, and the est's trying to mix in, makes for a bit of a digitized effect with some music.

With really good recordings however, MEST outshines Z1R imho, Z1R always imposes its character, but seems to plateau compared to the likes of KSE1500, Ely or MEST with really detailed music; I'm guessing the effortless nature of the est's, when perfectly matched can allow for a real immersion where you feel there with the artist. KSE1500 is truly the best at that, but sometimes that IEM simply doesn't work :frowning2:

My 2 cents, they're my complimentary iem's now.
I dont think the IER-Z1R midrange is recessed. Treble is not harsh but extends to infinity, you must try classical music instead of badly mastered modern music (if possible try Hi-res recordings/SACD)

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #9,418 of 15,376
Thank you. So should be expecting something around 2022 and the mid 2k mark 😐🥲 best get saving, I ain’t waiting as long to pick this one up if the reviews are as good as the Z1R.
I dont think so that sony is making any update soon. They're not know for bringing updates too soon. F e their walkmans are 5 years old now as do the MDR-Z1R

Dec 15, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #9,419 of 15,376
Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #9,420 of 15,376

What you think the tech would be? Hybrids appear to be going to triple setup - DD, BA and ES for highs. Like the Fir Audio and TOTL Noble offerings. If Sony were to go down that route they'd likely make the ES driver in house ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back