SONY IER-Z1R
Nov 9, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #9,152 of 15,280
I had pain the first days, after a week o was used to it, try smaller tips if possible, I'm using stock silicone side S and I get quasi-CIEM fitting.

How the XBA-Z5 compares to IER-Z1R accorsing to you?

The XBA-Z5 have always been good IEMs except for the low sound level (due to high impedance). I took the 3.5 cable that came with Z1R and used it with the XBA. The earpiece sits better now. To answer your question, with M15 the XBA-Z5 comes next behind Z1R. The bass is very good and the clarity is awesome. It's quite good but with Z1R, I don't feel driven to use them any longer. With Shure SE 846, I had to make do with the lack of sparkle in the highs for years. I'm done with EQing to push them to what's beyond their natural capability. Westone W80, which served well with Samsung phones, sounds so pale compared to Z1R-the depth of space between instruments and soundstage are nowhere near Z1R.

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #9,153 of 15,280
Do, I got my whirlwind tips order.. I am disappointed... none of them gave a proper seal not even the so-called L

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #9,154 of 15,280
I am intrigued by the Z1R, but two things are a deal breaker for me - the look and the fit. Of course, I haven't tried them personally, but photos and testimonies here all point to the same conclusion - I will struggle with them.

Is there anyone here for whom the fit is not problematic?

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #9,156 of 15,280
I am intrigued by the Z1R, but two things are a deal breaker for me - the look and the fit. Of course, I haven't tried them personally, but photos and testimonies here all point to the same conclusion - I will struggle with them.

Yes many, myself included, I can listen for 8 hours straight with no problems, but I had to try different tips to get the best fit which for me id either Final Audio E or the Xelastec

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #9,157 of 15,280
People, no one will tell you, what kind of paste should you buy to polish the headphone cases? As the third owner, I got the headphones a little shabby.

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #9,158 of 15,280
idk about others, but Z1R takes a long time to find proper fit (tips, angle of insertion, depth, even cable) for me. After that, it's been heaven ever since.
I sometimes switch between tips to change the flavor just a bit :)

Nov 9, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #9,159 of 15,280

Fit me like a glove. Had more issues with the Solaris OG initially tbh. Tips are a huge deal with these but using Sedna light shorts or AT07 tips I can wear them all day without issue.

Nov 9, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #9,160 of 15,280
The only complaint I have with the Z1R is the recessed mid (250 hz to about 8-900 hz) making listening to male vocal somewhat unsatisfactory. If you raise the volume then everything becomes too much, and I hate eq.

Nov 10, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #9,161 of 15,280
When you guys find tips, do you search ones that do the most noise isolation, therefore traps the most bass inside and enhances the bass the most? I find that if I do that there is TOO much bass (like when using comply foam tips). Or do you guys find something that sounds balanced?

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #9,162 of 15,280
The problem is that a universal tip for earbud seems to be hard to find..
Till now, I feel:
- either it's very isolating with a rather good "full" sound, but, in this case, I can't really walk without earing my feet knocking on the ground, or worse, I can even ear my own breath or even some mouth movements (when music is at a low volume).
- or when it's not well sealed enough in my ear, sound is definitely less impressive (in both extends).

Till now, after some months trying a lot of tips (Xelastec, Spinfit, Sony, Beyerdynamic, some noname..) , I like the Spinfit cp240 for walking but I can't really lie down on my ears without feeling uncomfortable (they are touching too deep in my ears), and the Sony Silicone ML is the most comfortable and the best sound I can get, but It'a a little bit too hard to avoid the noise of my feet when I am walking....

Definitely, it's a real challenge to get universal Tips for sound and comfort.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #9,163 of 15,280
its amazing that for me only the stock cable sounds great with ier z1r. I have over 6 after market cables.

I feel with all after market cables the sound of z1r just gets a hit

I have cables from copper, silver, copper/silver, gold/silver, all sound so bad with z1r compared to stock

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #9,164 of 15,280
its amazing that for me only the stock cable sounds great with ier z1r. I have over 6 after market cables.

I feel with all after market cables the sound of z1r just gets a hit

I have cables from copper, copper/silver, gold/silver, all sound so bad with z1r compared to stock

Yes to me the stock cable is one of the best stock cables on anything I’ve tried

Nov 10, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #9,165 of 15,280
Yes to me the stock cable is one of the best stock cables on anything I’ve tried
i think sony did their homework in tuning the z1r with that stock cable specs, as I am so surprised how other cables just make the z1r not great sounding at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back