SONY IER-Z1R
Nov 2, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #9,136 of 15,271
I think, the Sony IER-Z1R needs far more power and peak voltage than what can offer such BT dongle ..
It is already the case with my Qudelix 5K, I finally prefer to use my Beyerdynamic Xelento than the Z1R.
The only way I found to make the Z1R really "sing" is to insert an Oriolus BA300s between the qudelix 5K and the 1ZR.
I would be relly surprised that those iBasso BT adapters can move correctly the Z1R...

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #9,137 of 15,271
But did you switch the right IER to the left ear and left IER to the right ear to test your hearing?

Yea I tried the right ear on my left ear, I couldn’t get a great fit because it’s upside down, but it sounds pretty much the same. I think it is a seal issue, I was able to get a deep insertion with the Comply 200’s on my right ear, and able to get about 90% of the same bass impact as the left ear. To compensate for that for my left ear I just insert it a bit more lose. Not the ideal way of handling things but it’ll do for now lol.

Nov 2, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #9,138 of 15,271
Does anyone know if iBasso's CF01 true wireless adapter fits into the Z1R's recessed MMCX sockets? if so, anyone know if it has enough power to sound decent?
thanks!
They fit but extremely tight. You might even need plier to get them out afterward. Also, there is an issue with weirdly high output impedance (like ~20) that causes some change in the sound. I didn't like it with Z1R but it works well with Blon.

I sold them though. Currently using either Apple dongle or Fiio BTR3 while waiting for Fiio UTWS 3 to come out.

To be fair, the CF01 drives them well enough for volume-wise.

Nov 2, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #9,139 of 15,271
The photo of the connector would indicate that it will not fit since Z1R sockets are recessed and the CF01 connector has a rectangular shaped base. In fact, when I got a custom cable made with Eidolic connectors, I had to peel back the clear heat shrink on the barrel of the connector to make it fit so the tolerance is less than 1mm.

ibaaso.jpg
Thanks. Yup, that big rectangle will totally block it from going in enough.

Nov 2, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #9,140 of 15,271
Anyone tried ALO Reference 8 with the Z1R? What’s the usual recommended 3.5mm cables, do people generally prefer brighter cables or warmer ones with the Z1R?

Nov 2, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #9,141 of 15,271
Anyone tried ALO Reference 8 with the Z1R? What’s the usual recommended 3.5mm cables, do people generally prefer brighter cables or warmer ones with the Z1R?

Start by trying the stock cable, it is actually rather good

Nov 2, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #9,142 of 15,271
Nov 2, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #9,143 of 15,271
The IER-Z1R's are supposed to be very impressive sonically but it is hard to get over the bling factor. Is there a set of IEMs that have similar qualities that look more lowkey?

Nov 2, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #9,144 of 15,271
The IER-Z1R's are supposed to be very impressive sonically but it is hard to get over the bling factor. Is there a set of IEMs that have similar qualities that look more lowkey?
It's indeed a jewellery look IEM. I did sold my Z1r for the LX, different sound signatures, but it has a but "thump" on the low end.

Nov 9, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #9,149 of 15,271
Z1R is endgame for me, for the time being. I got it a few days ago. I'm using the 4.4 cable with fiio M15. I get a very tight seal with it using big silicon tips from my XBA - Z5 collection.
The problem with Z1R is that it rendered all my other IEMs unlistenable - SE 846 / Westone W80 / Mackie 460/ XBA - Z5. NOTHING compares to the incredible fullness of its sound on every front. Analytical but not distracting. The space it puts you in is vast. The sparkle of treble with the roundedness of low register is something complete. The problem is it cause pain to the ear with prolonged listening. Physical not sound fatiguing. I wonder if there's going to be another level to look for.

Nov 9, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #9,150 of 15,271
Z1R is endgame for me, for the time being. I got it a few days ago. I'm using the 4.4 cable with fiio M15. I get a very tight seal with it using big silicon tips from my XBA - Z5 collection.
The problem with Z1R is that it rendered all my other IEMs unlistenable - SE 846 / Westone W80 / Mackie 460/ XBA - Z5. NOTHING compares to the incredible fullness of its sound on every front. Analytical but not distracting. The space it puts you in is vast. The sparkle of treble with the roundedness of low register is something complete. The problem is it cause pain to the ear with prolonged listening. Physical not sound fatiguing. I wonder if there's going to be another level to look for.
I had pain the first days, after a week o was used to it, try smaller tips if possible, I'm using stock silicone side S and I get quasi-CIEM fitting.

How the XBA-Z5 compares to IER-Z1R accorsing to you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back