SONY IER-Z1R
Nov 10, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #9,166 of 15,290
i think sony did their homework in tuning the z1r with that stock cable specs, as I am so surprised how other cables just make the z1r not great sounding at all

I tried the Sony Kimber that worked well with the Z5 but did not like it with the Z1R

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #9,168 of 15,290
I am planning on getting the XBA-Z5 again how they sounded with the kimber? You still have yours?

No I sold them after I got the Z1R, hated the fit of the Z5, the only iem I never was able to get a good fit with

Nov 10, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #9,169 of 15,290
i think sony did their homework in tuning the z1r with that stock cable specs, as I am so surprised how other cables just make the z1r not great sounding at all

While the stock Z1R cable is really good, I find the PWAudio 1950s cable is even better - especially with the bass control/impact. Since the PW cable is crazy expensive, I tried my hand at making my own version of an ultimate Z1R cable with the thought that maybe I get lucky and succeed with a great sounding cable (how hard could it be?). The thought was that I would be stunned with my result and thus resell my 1950s, enabling the purchase of more audio equipment lol.

Sadly, there *is* something to cable creation and I did not succeed. The cable I built from scratch is in the middle below, and I built it with these desired parameters in mind:
  • Similar slim cable diameter to stock Z1R cable
  • 8 cores (weaved as four pairs)
  • Lots of silver-plated copper strands (66 per core, totaling 528 strands!)
  • Teflon outer sleeve
  • 4 feet long
Well the short of it is what I created does not sound anywhere near as good as the 1950s. :slight_frown: It makes the Z1Rs sound like reference monitors and while there is great clarity, the bass is anemic (which is not necessarily bad, but does not match my preferences).

There are lots of folks who don't think cables can have different sound, and at this point I am for sure not in that crowd. If anyone is in SoCal and want to audition the difference between my home-made cable and the PWAudio 1950s just PM me. In the mean time, it's back to the drawing board to try and match the 1950s!

cables.jpg

66 strands per core!
66strands.png

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #9,170 of 15,290
While the stock Z1R cable is really good, I find the PWAudio 1950s cable is even better - especially with the bass control/impact. Since the PW cable is crazy expensive, I tried my hand at making my own version of an ultimate Z1R cable with the thought that maybe I get lucky and succeed with a great sounding cable (how hard could it be?). The thought was that I would be stunned with my result and thus resell my 1950s, enabling the purchase of more audio equipment lol.

Sadly, there *is* something to cable creation and I did not succeed. The cable I built from scratch is in the middle below, and I built it with these desired parameters in mind:
  • Similar slim cable diameter to stock Z1R cable
  • 8 cores (weaved as four pairs)
  • Lots of silver-plated copper strands (66 per core, totaling 528 strands!)
  • Teflon outer sleeve
  • 4 feet long
Well the short of it is what I created does not sound anywhere near as good as the 1950s. :slight_frown: It makes the Z1Rs sound like reference monitors and while there is great clarity, the bass is anemic (which is not necessarily bad, but does not match my preferences).

There are lots of folks who don't think cables can have different sound, and at this point I am for sure not in that crowd. If anyone is in SoCal and want to audition the difference between my home-made cable and the PWAudio 1950s just PM me. In the mean time, it's back to the drawing board to try and match the 1950s!

cables.jpg

66 strands per core!
66strands.png
Nice post! Really interesting to read your thought process behind it!
Cables make a huge diffrence to the sound!
From what i've seen, those who don't believe in cables changing the sound are in general people who stick with $20 cables. ( Not trying to start a discussion )

Once you venture to proper ( and more expensive ) cables, you know it matters! I'm currently also looking for the "ultimate cable".

These are the two i have so far!
Screenshot_20201111-001037~2.jpg
IMG_20200730_154337~3.jpg

Looking forward to your progress/updates!

Nov 10, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #9,173 of 15,290
I've never had any major experience with changing cable unless it's for comfort or look. But I gotta say, those cables look so pretty

Not complaining about stock cable though as I find it sounds best, but different people have different taste :)

Yeah the stock cable is an exceptional all-a-rounder.

It's as you say - personal preferences... and musical tastes. The cable I made actually sounds really good with jazz, but not so much with pop / classic rock.

EDIT: I may have spoken too soon. I feel a little ridiculous even thinking about the concept of cable burn-in, but after about 30 hours on my home-brew cable it seems to have changed sound (for the better!). :scream:

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #9,174 of 15,290
Yeah the stock cable is an exceptional all-a-rounder.

It's as you say - personal preferences... and musical tastes. The cable I made actually sounds really good with jazz, but not so much with pop / classic rock.

EDIT: I may have spoken too soon. I feel a little ridiculous even thinking about the concept of cable burn-in, but after about 30 hours on my home-brew cable it seems to have changed sound (for the better!). :scream:

Beautiful cable build! But it hurts imagining you cutting up the standard cable... :confounded:
PS: I've had good experiences with this pure silver DIY cable from Aliexpress:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jvc-ha-fd01-class-s-solidege.868414/post-15651435
This cable seems to combine the purity of silver with the smoothness of copper.

Nov 11, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #9,179 of 15,290
I got the Z1R today. Fits perfectly, tried stock silicon M size and the stock hybrid M size. Both work like a charm. I like the hybrid more. I've never really liked silicon tips on any IEMs, have always used foam as they feel comfortable to me.

Was pretty worried about the fit issues people have shared. Luckily I didn't face any, I can do a deep fit without any issues. Been listening for about 2-3 hours non stop. These are everything that people have said. The bass, stage and the sparkle in treble is what I have noticed so far and it is just remarkable. My reference is the Hidition Viento B, which for the longest time I didn't think could be beat. I sold everything after that. Well well well, the Z1R has me worried, if I will ever go back to the Vientos. There is just something going on with these I haven't been able to keep them down for 3 hours since I got them on.

I'm using WM1A to drive these, balanced and high gain. Just a curious question as people say they need a lot of power. Am I missing something in power requirements with WM1A + Z1R combo? To me this sounds pretty awesome as of now. But a lot of you have better expertise hence checking.

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #9,180 of 15,290
I got the Z1R today. Fits perfectly, tried stock silicon M size and the stock hybrid M size. Both work like a charm. I like the hybrid more. I've never really liked silicon tips on any IEMs, have always used foam as they feel comfortable to me.

Was pretty worried about the fit issues people have shared. Luckily I didn't face any, I can do a deep fit without any issues. Been listening for about 2-3 hours non stop. These are everything that people have said. The bass, stage and the sparkle in treble is what I have noticed so far and it is just remarkable. My reference is the Hidition Viento B, which for the longest time I didn't think could be beat. I sold everything after that. Well well well, the Z1R has me worried, if I will ever go back to the Vientos. There is just something going on with these I haven't been able to keep them down for 3 hours since I got them on.

I'm using WM1A to drive these, balanced and high gain. Just a curious question as people say they need a lot of power. Am I missing something in power requirements with WM1A + Z1R combo? To me this sounds pretty awesome as of now. But a lot of you have better expertise hence checking.
Glad to hear you're enjoying your Z1R and they fit you well!

The Z1R's certainly do scale with more power, but they still sound great with the WM1 walkmans. The main improvement I've noticed with feeding them more power is bass speed and soundstage expansion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back