SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 13, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #7,141 of 15,280
Who doesn't like to hear the extra noises the music instruments produce? Like this early piano when hitting keys you heard the mechanism hitting a wool damp THUP THUP or buzzing of the string

I like these, without this, music would be bland and boring

Apr 13, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #7,142 of 15,280
Yes, but.. I was listening to a classical piece the other day and I clearly heard a person sneeze violently. I thought it was someone in my home... rewound a bit.. nope, it was in the recording.

Apr 13, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #7,143 of 15,280
Yes, but.. I was listening to a classical piece the other day and I clearly heard a person sneeze violently. I thought it was someone in my home... rewound a bit.. nope, it was in the recording.
I've heard a Nokia phone immortalized in a recording haha

Apr 13, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #7,144 of 15,280
I've heard a Nokia phone immortalized in a recording haha

I’ve got a classical recital recording from Cadogan Hall in London where you can hear the rumble each time a subway train passes underneath the hall (can’t remember which one it is)

Apr 14, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #7,145 of 15,280
new.jpg

Well would you look at that.. 2 screws added and all is right with the world :) Also added the Sony MDR-CD900ST which I forgot I had.
PS: I know it looks like the shelves are tilting to one side.. they`re not :p

Apr 14, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #7,146 of 15,280
new.jpg

Well would you look at that.. 2 screws added and all is right with the world :) Also added the Sony MDR-CD900ST which I forgot I had.
PS: I know it looks like the shelves are tilting to one side.. they`re not :p
Yeah, I was about to say that all that needs fixing now is that camera tilt. :)

Apr 17, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #7,149 of 15,280
I’m curious if Sony is already working on a new flagship. They seem to push one out every 3 years or so
Secondary flagship, maybe, but big flagship like Qualias And Signature series is, probably gonna take a while.
Perhaps between 10 to 15 years...
Before quails lineup the R10 and CD300 in the early 90s
Quali came early 2000s
Signature series 2014...
Exactly
So curious what they will come up with after a dual DD. Electrostatic perhaps. Has anyone else done a dual DD?
Dual DD is actually quite old, there's many use case for it, all quite different, the one in IER Z1R is one of the unique one.

If they plan to use Estat, Sony will have to make the driver itself first, and it's probably gonna begin in a new series first before coming into top flagship on IER level, in example they make and uses their own BA on XBA (4-40-300) models first, then add in Hybrids next, (H3-Z5), only then it culminate in the IER Z1R.

Same with the 70mm in the MDR Z1R (XB1000, MA900, Z7, Z1R, Z7M2).
If it's going with that formula, I'm anticipating more for a Z5M2 than a Z1R successor.
1587110567562.jpg

IER-Z1R Engineer that handled the Z1R, M9, N3, and A3 actually have no hand on the Z5, so maybe this time Sony will let him handle the mid tier price point?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #7,150 of 15,280
I can already see myself having a heart attack when you post a pic of your brand new SA-Z1 sitting on ... you guessed it. :)
No comparison to genelec 8331 or 8341 + genelec sub with bacch4mac.... this is Holodeck music... and will blow your mind. Bacch is simply the greatest revolution in music ever... period. If you want to hear and are in nor cal let me know.

Apr 18, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #7,151 of 15,280
I realize this is off-topic here, but I think the previous time I mentioned my conundrum was here as well.

I wanted to try the big brother MDR-Z1R, but didn't find it for a price I was happy with. Amazon of course allows you return stuff, but I didn't want to buy knowing 100% that I would return it, regardless of whether I liked it or not.
Well, today I saw a pair on the Amazon Warehouse website for around $1,300 so I jumped on it. Being a warehouse deal, even if I return it, my actions will not depreciate it too much (if at all, as I'm always very careful with stuff that has been made carefully). But for this price, if I like the sound and the condition is "very good" like they say, then I might keep it. And if I do, I think I'll become eligible for the Sony Signature Fanboy badge: zx300 + ier-z1r + ta-zh1es + mdr-z1r. :) Let's see..

Off-topic #2: Alan Silvestri's Predator OST is pretty amazing. That's the first non-domestic film I saw in my life (when I was about 8 years old I think), as video cassette-tapes started to be pirated into the country. Needless to say, seeing this movie at that age left a mark. I have since watched it more than 100 times. I used to have this ritual when I was studying at university and visited my parents every 1.5 months: I would always watch the movie (had it on a different cassette-tape at that point). Listening to the soundtrack I can practically see the movie if I close my eyes. Great use of brass and timpani, sounds great on the HD600!

Here's a YouTube playlist:

Apr 18, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #7,152 of 15,280
I realize this is off-topic here, but I think the previous time I mentioned my conundrum was here as well.

I wanted to try the big brother MDR-Z1R, but didn't find it for a price I was happy with. Amazon of course allows you return stuff, but I didn't want to buy knowing 100% that I would return it, regardless of whether I liked it or not.
Well, today I saw a pair on the Amazon Warehouse website for around $1,300 so I jumped on it. Being a warehouse deal, even if I return it, my actions will not depreciate it too much (if at all, as I'm always very careful with stuff that has been made carefully). But for this price, if I like the sound and the condition is "very good" like they say, then I might keep it. And if I do, I think I'll become eligible for the Sony Signature Fanboy badge: zx300 + ier-z1r + ta-zh1es + mdr-z1r. :) Let's see..

Off-topic #2: Alan Silvestri's Predator OST is pretty amazing. That's the first non-domestic film I saw in my life (when I was about 8 years old I think), as video cassette-tapes started to be pirated into the country. Needless to say, seeing this movie at that age left a mark. I have since watched it more than 100 times. I used to have this ritual when I was studying at university and visited my parents every 1.5 months: I would always watch the movie (had it on a different cassette-tape at that point). Listening to the soundtrack I can practically see the movie if I close my eyes. Great use of brass and timpani, sounds great on the HD600!

Here's a YouTube playlist:

You've reminded me, I was looking forward to your impressions of the ta-zh1es but may have missed them. How do your IER-Z1R sound on it compared to the ZX300? I've never really believed that the Z1Rs need more power as they sound significantly better on my WM1Z than Magni 3+, but interested to here your thoughts.

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #7,153 of 15,280
And if I do, I think I'll become eligible for the Sony Signature Fanboy badge: zx300 + ier-z1r + ta-zh1es + mdr-z1r. :)

I hate to be "that guy" but strictly speaking you'd have to upgrade to the WM1A or 1Z as the ZX300 isn't a signature series item.

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #7,154 of 15,280
You've reminded me, I was looking forward to your impressions of the ta-zh1es but may have missed them. How do your IER-Z1R sound on it compared to the ZX300? I've never really believed that the Z1Rs need more power as they sound significantly better on my WM1Z than Magni 3+, but interested to here your thoughts.
You didn't miss them, I didn't post any impressions here. I did post some fast and furious impressions on the TA thread. So far I'm happy with the device, but for the IER-Z1R I'm not convinced it adds anything extra, compared to the ZX300. I still plan to do a proper blind test next week. I'll be able to tell you more after that, at least as far as my ears go.

But it was quite funny, I hooked up the TA, started playing some music and thought: wow, this sounds awesome, surely it must be quite noticeably better than the ZX300. Then I changed to the ZX300 and realized: wow, this sounds pretty awesome too, and the differences, if present, are not all that noticeable. Anyway, what I'm trying to highlight here is that the IER-Z1R + ZX300 is already quite excellent.

Apr 18, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #7,155 of 15,280
I hate to be "that guy" but strictly speaking you'd have to upgrade to the WM1A or 1Z as the ZX300 isn't a signature series item.
Booooo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back