SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 15, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #6,827 of 15,277
Yes I have had the same problem with Comply tips, weirdly it was only my left ear at first, and then the right did it too. Once they have pulled off once that is it they will no longer grip onto the IEM and will pull off every time so are rendered useless and the foam usually gets damaged on trying to get it out of my ear. I'd put it down to how deeply into my ear canals I was able to get them, but annoying all the same especially when it happens when not at home! The solution to this problem for me was to put a small layer of Kapton tape around the IEM stem before putting the Comply tip on and I've had no issues since, other tapes might work. Maybe I have weird ears too?!

I have 200 400 and 500 bore size comply to match with z1r / m9 / xelento, and 400 should be tight enough for z1r, if it still falls off, go for 200.

Mar 16, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #6,828 of 15,277
Unfortunately I'm already using the 200 size which is the smallest of the three. It seems to me that the core stretches over time and will then pull off when removing the IEMs from your ear. I'll be trying a different brand of tips once the Complys are done but for now the thin layer of tape trick is working very well.

Mar 16, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #6,829 of 15,277
Unfortunately I'm already using the 200 size which is the smallest of the three. It seems to me that the core stretches over time and will then pull off when removing the IEMs from your ear. I'll be trying a different brand of tips once the Complys are done but for now the thin layer of tape trick is working very well.
Yeah comply foamies don't last that long for me before they are totally destroyed. I went custom tops with CustomArt

Mar 17, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #6,831 of 15,277
Final E LL for me

Mar 18, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #6,832 of 15,277
Comes faster and stays present shorter , sounds like less.
I just rec’d the Final Audio A8000 in the mail today. It has the best bass I’ve ever heard. The quantity is on par with the Z1R but the A8000 easily pulls ahead in almost every other aspect of the bass. It’s extremely tight, textured, omnipresent, fast. I’ve never heard anything like it from an IEM.

Mar 18, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #6,833 of 15,277
I just rec’d the Final Audio A8000 in the mail today. It has the best bass I’ve ever heard. The quantity is on par with the Z1R but the A8000 easily pulls ahead in almost every other aspect of the bass. It’s extremely tight, textured, omnipresent, fast. I’ve never heard anything like it from an IEM.
Looking at your Signature, you have all the gears I like (headphone/IEM wise). How is other aspect of the sound? What I learned to love about IER-Z1R is that it is forgiving.

Mar 18, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #6,834 of 15,277
Looking at your Signature, you have all the gears I like (headphone/IEM wise). How is other aspect of the sound? What I learned to love about IER-Z1R is that it is forgiving.
I’m not the best at describing what I hear but I’ll use the Dream and Z1R as reference to help out. Firstly, the A8000 is more detailed than anything I’ve heard. It‘s extremely well extended in the highs and lows. The mids are present and very detailed. I just wish they were a tad warmer and more forward, though. By comparison, the Dream and Z1R sound much softer than they actually are. Neither have the same top end sparkle, mid freq clarity, and tight visceral texture in the bass. Some people say the A8000 if bright, I say it’s detailed and revealing. If you music the mixed hot in the treble, overly compressed, etc. then the A8000 will make it apparent to you. It can sound both analytical and musical at the same time but the quality of your music will determine how much you enjoy them. The A8000’s imaging and staging is mostly superior to both the Dream and the Z1R but the Z1R does sound a bit more “out of head.” Instruments are well separated in the mix but the sound is very cohesive. If you’re looking for detail retrieval, I can’t imagine anything being (much) better than the A8000.

Mar 18, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #6,835 of 15,277
I appreciate the report, but I'm a bit skeptical when someone has such definitive opinions about a new headphone after only a few hours of listening time. Please give us an update after about a week or so.

Mar 18, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #6,836 of 15,277
I appreciate the report, but I'm a bit skeptical when someone has such definitive opinions about a new headphone after only a few hours of listening time. Please give us an update after about a week or so.
Understandable. I do expect the honeymoon to end at some point but I’ve owned the Dream and Z1R for a very long time. When A/B’ing them against the A8000, the differences are very clear. I honestly don’t expect them to change much over time. Nevertheless, I’ll report back once I stop grinning!

BTW, I didn’t mean to make the Dream or Z1R look inferior. It’s all about preference at this level. The Dream and Z1R are both excellent TOTLs and will likely stay in my collection for the foreseeable future. Maybe...

Mar 19, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #6,837 of 15,277
But not as much as this
20191107_173059.jpg

Mar 19, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #6,839 of 15,277
So after spending more time with Solaris and ier, they are both fantastic. I've read some criticism about the ier's mids lacking compared to the Solaris. Yes I agree the mids are not as forward, but that doesn't means the ierz1r's are lacking. To me it means they are just not as prominent, the bass slam and sub bass is just phenomonal on the Sony iem. Of course the mids are not featured. I mainly listen to hard rock, doom. And they are perfect. Fantastic bass with such a sense of impending doom and space. I'm so happy with these IEMs. They are more musical but in this genre it works perfectly. Oh and paired with the zx507. Dabbling in the idea of the dx220. I'm new to high end stuff, but the feeling you get when you find something that works is euphoric. I used to be a Metallica fan, so I used wasting my hate as a comparison song and it just sounds unbelievably better on the ierz1r's. Next stop, electric wizard

Mar 19, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #6,840 of 15,277
So after spending more time with Solaris and ier, they are both fantastic. I've read some criticism about the ier's mids lacking compared to the Solaris. Yes I agree the mids are not as forward, but that doesn't means the ierz1r's are lacking. To me it means they are just not as prominent, the bass slam and sub bass is just phenomonal on the Sony iem. Of course the mids are not featured. I mainly listen to hard rock, doom. And they are perfect. Fantastic bass with such a sense of impending doom and space. I'm so happy with these IEMs. They are more musical but in this genre it works perfectly. Oh and paired with the zx507. Dabbling in the idea of the dx220. I'm new to high end stuff, but the feeling you get when you find something that works is euphoric. I used to be a Metallica fan, so I used wasting my hate as a comparison song and it just sounds unbelievably better on the ierz1r's. Next stop, electric wizard
I personally prefer the Z1R’s midrange to that of the Solaris. While it’s less in quantity I’d say it outperforms the Solaris significantly in terms of timbre and on a similar, if not higher level of detail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back