SONY IER-Z1R
Nov 28, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #5,976 of 15,364
Oh boy - I'm just itching to buy a pair of these today/over the weekend. I know I should wait...

Nov 28, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #5,977 of 15,364
Funny someone posted in the MDR-Z1R listening impressions thread that the new full-size MDR-Z1R serial numbers actually have an extra digit and offer a more sculpted back bass and toned down and refined treble personality?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #5,978 of 15,364

Don't feel the sound of IER-Z1R is less "coherent"; yes, its music is always more touching. It has that magic to draw you into the music, so much that you'll soon forget all the technical analysis... The Trio on the other hand is bit more relaxing, having a little thicker mid (and perhaps bass as well). It also almost always guarantees you a perfect comfortable fit for the ears...

While the Trio is my favourite on the go, the Z1R is always my first choice at home.:)

Cheers

Which one would you keep if you had to chose only 1 :)
For home and outside

Nov 29, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #5,979 of 15,364
Funny someone posted in the MDR-Z1R listening impressions thread that the new full-size MDR-Z1R serial numbers actually have an extra digit and offer a more sculpted back bass and toned down and refined treble personality?

Isnt it still the same headphones???
How can it change that much unless its a mdr-z1r 2 ?

Nov 29, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #5,980 of 15,364
Isnt it still the same headphones???
How can it change that much unless its a mdr-z1r 2 ?

These are just reports from other audiophiles. Of course it’s only speculation. We perceive what we think we perceive. Just had a report about being a slightly different tone in the IER-Z1R post 8000 serial numbers. It’s happened before in our world. There is no law that says Sony can’t decide to retune their products.

It will only be fact when someone with known respect shows a graph or simply provides listening verification of a true variation. Remember the R-10 had true tune changes with a bass-lite edition and bass heavy edition. Not sure if those were ever models with verification by Sony of a time the tune was actually changed, or a change noted by the community? I only heard the bass-lite edition and it was not noted anywhere on the box or paper work. I’m pretty sure it was just stated to me. But....this was 9 years ago? Eventually it’s a change that seems to be noted with serial numbers where early serial numbers have one tone and later numbers offer another different tone.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #5,982 of 15,364
Hey folks, so its a little sad but I took quiet some extensive time to really make this decision. I have decided to sell my z1r. Due to fit and being a bit to bright with my edm music.
It was a great journey with ier-z1r, one of the greatest iem I have listened to I really respect it a lot, but it had to be done I will continue my journey and hope next owner enjoys them to hes fullest emotions :)

So they are on sell on head-fi if interested.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ier-z1r-very-good-condition.920200/#post-15334551

Nov 29, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #5,983 of 15,364
Hey folks, so its a little sad but I took quiet some extensive time to really make this decision. I have decided to sell my z1r. Due to fit and being a bit to bright with my edm music.
It was a great journey with ier-z1r, one of the greatest iem I have listened to I really respect it a lot, but it had to be done I will continue my journey and hope next owner enjoys them to hes fullest emotions :)

So they are on sell on head-fi if interested.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ier-z1r-very-good-condition.920200/#post-15334551
You should mention in the classified that you modded them, then restored them to the best of your abilities. I'm sure the next owner would be interested to know that. Anything less than that would be false advertising.

I'm gonna miss your enthusiastic posts, but apparently they weren't worth more than their entertainment value, since you backtrack on almost everything you say. :wink:

Good luck with the Trio or whatever your new end game ends up being, but I'm not going to be too surprised if I see you back here in a little while. :)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #5,984 of 15,364
You should mention in the classified that you modded them, then restored them to the best of your abilities. I'm sure the next owner would be interested to know that. Anything less than that would be false advertising.

I'm gonna miss your enthusiastic posts, but apparently they weren't worth more than their entertainment value, since you backtrak on almost everything you say. :wink:

Good luck with the Trio or whatever your new end game ends up being, but I'm not going to be too surprised if I see you back here in a little while. :)

Well all this hobby is all about entertainment and fun.
But all my statements they still stand true and the feedback and what I heard is still all legitimate.

Its not cause my preferences arent met that this whole circus fun you seem to have enjoyed was a false pleasantry.

I also didn't alter the ier-z1r foam. It is the genuine original one that was there. And its all back as it was when it left sonys factory. Not been pierced not been cut , it is in its original estate!
Applied a minimalist amount of glue so it dont slide out or in.

Its like if you changed your headphones earpads ohh no it has been damaged lol. Heck no...

Nov 29, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #5,985 of 15,364
Agreed with @candlejack if I were spending $1,300 on used IEM’s I’d want to know that the foam has been removed and reinstated, especially if glue has been used to keep them in place, even if it’s minimal.

Can’t be compared to ear pads. They are removable by design.

Sorry, I don’t mean to jump down your throat but if I were a potential buyer, I’d be upset if I weren’t told about the foam being removed. Especially if I bought them on Headfi and then found out about it in the thread instead of the sale post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back