SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 1, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #4,081 of 15,277
[...]the IER-Z1R is simply cheap for the price[...]
Let's not go overboard.

At the same time I have to admit that the Z1r has been the only IEM where I felt like there were no shortcuts taken in design, materials and manufacturing. Every aspect of this IEM seems to have been carefully considered before it finally took shape. Add accessories, presentation and packaging and then look around the IEM landscape, and yeah, they start to look like quite the bargain.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #4,082 of 15,277
I would go so far as to argue that the Z1R is one of the few kilobucks worth its asking price and the fact that other companies charge more with comparatively dismal results and lacking R&D shows that the prices in this market have inflated far beyond sanity.

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #4,084 of 15,277
Aug 1, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #4,085 of 15,277
Selling everything. Keeping only Andromeda.

Trust me. Really really hard decision.
You are not well. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Just not here.

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #4,086 of 15,277
So it took you only 3 days with the Z1r to produce a review? Did you have a muse to inspire you?

I'm on holidays right now with not much going on this week, but yeah, the Z1R is pretty inspiring :p

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #4,088 of 15,277
Let's not go overboard.

At the same time I have to admit that the Z1r has been the only IEM where I felt like there were no shortcuts taken in design, materials and manufacturing. Every aspect of this IEM seems to have been carefully considered before it finally took shape. Add accessories, presentation and packaging and then look around the IEM landscape, and yeah, they start to look like quite the bargain.

I am honestly not going overboard, have you seen other $2-3K in ears that uses Ceramic caps and off the shelves drivers, components ? It isn’t easy to make any BA drivers, let alone dynamic drivers and so on within the Z1R.

If you are into DIY in ears buds, right here on head-fi, there is a thread that guide people in how to make their own custom one from molding to crossover....etc..

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #4,089 of 15,277
I am honestly not going overboard, have you seen other $2-3K in ears that uses Ceramic caps and off the shelves drivers, components ? It isn’t easy to make any BA drivers, let alone dynamic drivers and so on within the Z1R.

If you are into DIY in ears buds, right here on head-fi, there is a thread that guide people in how to make their own custom one from molding to crossover....etc..
My audio dealer also sells 6 bit Audio, so I have seen my share of unimpressive $2-3k IEMs (talking about design and build - sound hasn't impressed me either, but that's a more subjective opinion).

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #4,090 of 15,277
What are some other similar tier IEM's selling for in your area?

3,000 CAD is about equal to 2,200 USD, so no different than the world wide MRSP.

I removed the negative about cost-- in retrospect it was more a personal indictment of the totl IEM market as a whole than anything with the Z1R in particular.

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #4,091 of 15,277
I removed the negative about cost-- in retrospect it was more a personal indictment of the totl IEM market as a whole than anything with the Z1R in particular.
I wasn't suggesting you should change your review. I was simply commenting independently of the review. I think cost is a reasonable con for the Z1r, but perhaps not as much when you consider the rest of the market.

And btw, looks like I was wrong, it's $2,000 in the US, not $2,200. In Europe however it is EUR 2,200.

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #4,092 of 15,277
My audio dealer also sells 6 bit Audio, so I have seen my share of unimpressive $2-3k IEMs (talking about design and build - sound hasn't impressed me either, but that's a more subjective opinion).

The main reason why I was not back into in ears for a while. If it isn’t Sony and their engineering that is so uniquely dedicated to Audio, I wouldnt even bother

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #4,093 of 15,277
I wasn't suggesting you should change your review. I was simply commenting independently of the review. I think cost is a reasonable con for the Z1r, but perhaps not as much when you consider the rest of the market.

And btw, looks like I was wrong, it's $2,000 in the US, not $2,200. In Europe however it is EUR 2,200.

I didn't change it at the behest of anyone-- I think cons to a product should be specific to a product and not the industry as a whole. Relative to the TOTL market as a whole the IER Z1R is better than average in terms of cost.

Aug 1, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #4,094 of 15,277

Lol, don't let these people change your mind by dropping a few big words. Trust your ears. I don't think you listed that con as an independent indictment on the market. You got 10% more in sound than the Solaris. Qualitatively the IER-Z1R hardly reshapes the market.

I didn't change it at the behest of anyone-- I think cons to a product should be specific to a product and not the industry as a whole. Relative to the TOTL market as a whole the IER Z1R is better than average in terms of cost.

So the market is mildly inflated? By the way, have you auditioned the Anole VX?

Aug 1, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #4,095 of 15,277
Lol, don't let these people change your mind by dropping a few big words. Trust your ears. I don't think you listed that con as an independent indictment on the market. You got 10% more in sound than the Solaris. Qualitatively the IER-Z1R hardly reshapes the market.

So the market is mildly inflated? By the way, have you auditioned the Anole VX?

No, though I hope to by the end of summer. I'm sure it's amazing but I don't think it's quite my thing-- I have a strong preference for DD bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back