SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 2, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #4,112 of 15,279
So I tried the Kimber Cable and first thing noticeable was that it doesn't fit quite right... it does fit, it's just not perfect. Thus assuming this is why Sony doesn't have Kimber advertised or product link on their website for the IER family.

Second, it emphasizes the bassier stuff a lot more, which kind of is not the purpose of the Z1R, so I can see why people prefer the stock cables over the Kimber for the IER-Z1R.

Kimber definitely helps on the Z5, but does quite the opposite on the IER.

Aug 2, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #4,113 of 15,279
The xba-z5 is too dark, rolled off highs and bass presence. IER-Z1R has Al's bass presence but so airy and extended highs

Aug 2, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #4,114 of 15,279
So I caved in and ordered a pair when I discovered that a Danish retailer actually had them in stock with full Danish warranty, 14 days return policy and cheaper than anywhere else I’ve seen in EU. My 10 year old JH13 customs are finally dying so time to try something new

Aug 2, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #4,115 of 15,279
Kimber doesn't get the treble right, or should say it doesn't coincide with Sony's preference within this frequency range. Sony wants airy, misty texture but Kimber actually makes it bright and liquid. I'm quite confused why Sony chose Kimber to cooperate with - their tastes are just different.

Aug 2, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #4,116 of 15,279
Kimber doesn't get the treble right, or should say it doesn't coincide with Sony's preference within this frequency range. Sony wants airy, misty texture but Kimber actually makes it bright and liquid. I'm quite confused why Sony chose Kimber to cooperate with - their tastes are just different.

It goes well with xbaz5, which is what is meant to used on. Sony doesn't even associate it with the IER

The xba-z5 is too dark, rolled off highs and bass presence. IER-Z1R has Al's bass presence but so airy and extended highs

That too dark is what makes it better in some genres. Mainly very little vocal and heavy bass

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #4,117 of 15,279
So I caved in and ordered a pair when I discovered that a Danish retailer actually had them in stock with full Danish warranty, 14 days return policy and cheaper than anywhere else I’ve seen in EU. My 10 year old JH13 customs are finally dying so time to try something new
For how much did you got them?(price in €)

And how are you JH13 dying? So one side cuts or they broke on the shells?

Aug 2, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #4,118 of 15,279
It goes well with xbaz5, which is what is meant to used on. Sony doesn't even associate it with the IER
There used to be official replacement cables offered by Sony themselves for the XBA-Z5 and MDR-1s which used better materials, they sound also very good with the Z5, and they are cheaper. But Sony discontinued them and the Kimbers are the only official cables left.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #4,119 of 15,279
For how much did you got them?(price in €)

And how are you JH13 dying? So one side cuts or they broke on the shells?

Just under €2.000.

The 2-pin female connectors in the shells have over the years stretched so much that the connection to the cable is loose and cuts out. Not much that can be done about that, I’m actually surprised they lasted that many years with almost daily use

Aug 2, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #4,120 of 15,279
There used to be official replacement cables offered by Sony themselves for the XBA-Z5 and MDR-1s which used better materials, they sound also very good with the Z5, and they are cheaper. But Sony discontinued them and the Kimbers are the only official cables left.
I have the official upgraded ones too, but for the xba I thought Kimber brought out more

Aug 2, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #4,121 of 15,279
Just under €2.000.

The 2-pin female connectors in the shells have over the years stretched so much that the connection to the cable is loose and cuts out. Not much that can be done about that, I’m actually surprised they lasted that many years with almost daily use
Got mine also for.less than 2.000€, prepare for a drastic change between z5 sound signature and IER-Z1R
I have the official upgraded ones too, but for the xba I thought Kimber brought out more
I also had the original sony upgrade cable for.more than a year, I did feel it improved slightly the treble issues for the z5's

Aug 2, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #4,123 of 15,279
Got mine also for.less than 2.000€, prepare for a drastic change between z5 sound signature and IER-Z1R

I also had the original sony upgrade cable for.more than a year, I did feel it improved slightly the treble issues for the z5's

Yes I expect they’ll be different from Z5, I’m hoping for a mix of Z5 and JH13 raised to a new level. They will mostly be used balanced from the 1Z dap and from what I’ve read it should be a very good match.

I’ve had the Z5 with the balanced Sony Kimber cable for over a year and they have been very nice

Aug 2, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #4,124 of 15,279
Just under €2.000.

I also have the JH13 with the same problem over the years. I have actually sent my JH13 back to JH for repair three times. Costing over $120.00 each time. This is why I hate two pin connectors, unless you do not switch cable frequently, otherwise all two pin connectors will eventually will fail.

Aug 2, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #4,125 of 15,279

This issue has been discussed many times early in this thread. The so called Kimber Cable that is sold by Sony is really not made by Kimber Kable. Sony merely licensed the brand name from Kimber Kable when in fact the entire cable is made by Sonywith cheap copper. I was told by Kimber that they only licensed the weaving pattern to Sony. I think that particular cable is not worth one third of the price. The Axios line from Kimber cost over $3000.00 for a silver headphone cable even their lower price copper cable will range $600.00 to $1000.00. Don’t get suck into the Kimber brand scheme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back