SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 2, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #4,141 of 15,264
As great as these iems are, and out of so many Ive tried or owned, i would like to proclaim that if I could only pick one, it'd be the Andromeda.

Why?

Aug 2, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #4,142 of 15,264
I've "discovered" something pretty helpful yesterday. Wearing the cable behind the neck allows me to keep the rubbery cable guide away from my ears where it's causing a bit of irritation after some time. I now "feel" the presence of the cable a lot less.

Using the cable clip is mandatory for ensuring enough slack is available to allow freedom of movement with no resistance from the cable. This arrangement also help with microphonics and the cable pulling on the IEMs when walking. Placing the clip right under the splitter and clipping it to the shirt collar seems to be ideal: good slack (even for my long neck) and the remaining cable reaches as low as my upper thigh (enough to comfortably place in my jeans back pocket or a jacket). I'm pretty tall, so I think this will work for most.

Pics for illustration.

20190801_205252.jpg 20190801_205230.jpg 20190801_203915.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #4,143 of 15,264
I've "discovered" something pretty helpful yesterday. Wearing the cable behind the neck allows me to keep the rubbery cable guide away from my ears where it causing a bit of irritation after some time. I now "feel" the presence of the cable a lot less.

Using the cable clip is mandatory for ensuring enough slack is available to allow freedom of movement with no resistance from the cable. This arrangement also help with microphonics and the cable pulling on the IEMs when walking. Placing the clip right under the splitter and clipping it to the shirt collar seems to be ideal: good slack (even for my long neck) and the remaining cable reaches as low as my upper thigh (enough to comfortably place in my jeans back pocket or a jacket). I'm pretty tall, so I think this will work for most.

Pics for illustration.

That’s how I always wear in ears except for the Z5 that I have to wear over ear and the under chin to keep them staying in my ears

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #4,145 of 15,264
Z1R is similar to th900 ? Interesting
It's as close to the Z1R that I've heard in a full sized headphone. Bass response is close (the Z1R is slightly subbassier and feels tighter in response), midrange is generally recessed, although not quite upper mid oriented like the Z1R, and treble response is incredibly similar with the TH610 pads. I'm not the type to directly compare stuff like this but I genuinely think they're quite alike.

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #4,146 of 15,264
Had a recent jam session with a head-fier and he believes the timbre is off on the z1r. Our ears are similar but he listens to more live music so I believe he has a more 'live' tuned ear-foundation.

Anyone else have similar opinion? I find the z1r sound to be very pleasing and well balanced. I dont notice that the timbre is off; guitars sound like guitars and drums sound good but then I dont attend a lot of jazz clubs or concerts.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #4,147 of 15,264
Had a recent jam session with a head-fier and he believes the timbre is off on the z1r. Our ears are similar but he listens to more live music so I believe he has a more 'live' tuned ear-foundation.

Anyone else have similar opinion? I find the z1r sound to be very pleasing and well balanced. I dont notice that the timbre is off; guitars sound like guitars and drums sound good.
I can see how one could claim that the thin lower mids on the Z1R are unrealistic but they’re hardly tonally inaccurate. I also know people who don’t like the bass boost and find it detached from the midrange and treble, which I disagree with of course.

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #4,148 of 15,264

Anyone else have similar opinion? I find the z1r sound to be very pleasing and well balanced. I dont notice that the timbre is off; guitars sound like guitars and drums sound good but then I dont attend a lot of jazz clubs or concerts.

Z1R timbre did sounds off, but it is due to the original cable. If you use upgrade cable, the timbre has no problem at all. I am currently pairing Z1R with PW Audio Monile. My Solaris is pairing AG Nova. Both are excellent upgrade cables.

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #4,149 of 15,264
Z1R timbre did sounds off, but it is due to the original cable. If you use upgrade cable, the timbre has no problem at all. I am currently pairing Z1R with PW Audio Monile. My Solaris is pairing AG Nova. Both are excellent upgrade cables.
Not only did he detect that the timbre was off, but he also pin-pointed it to the stock cable. Just imagine how much better the Z1r would sound if we could replace the crappy thin wire Sony used in the driver coils with some premium boutique stuff.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #4,150 of 15,264
As great as these iems are, and out of so many Ive tried or owned, i would like to proclaim that if I could only pick one, it'd be the Andromeda.
So, I too am curious how you came to that decision, with your Fourte still sealed new in box and having used the Z1R for one hour? Maybe it's price/value issue to you? That would be an understandable reason, given the pricing of current iems. Certainly SQ comparisons might require a tad more auditioning time.

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #4,151 of 15,264
Okay, so this TH-900 talk really worries me. Can someone else who knows both please chime in? Some say these sound like the MDR-Z1R, some say they sound like the TH-900, which is a bit curious as these two 'phones are almost polar opposites. While the MDR-Z1R has a very relaxed sound with a tendency to sound muffled/veiled/dull and somewhat loose bass, the TH-900 is very aggressive sounding, has literally no midrange whatsoever (including mid-bass) and sounds super super bright/zingy/piercing with a lot of sub-bass. So a lot up top, then nothing, then quite a lot again aaall the way down. While I don't much care for the MDR-Z1R, I downright hate the TH-900 and find it pretty much unbearable to listen to. So which is it, folks? I was really looking forward to trying the IER-Z1R, but if there are any similarities in tuning with the TH-900, it's like I don't even have to bother.

This is why I asked earlier ITT if the midrange dip would affect mid-bass, which is one of my greatest worries. The TH-900 has a lot of rumble, but zero punch, which is not what I'm looking for at all. Can someone comment on how kick drums sound on the IER-Z1R? With the TH-900, I keep turning the volume up looking for that slam, and all that happens is that the piercing highs are making my ears bleed. Terrible, terrible headphone, at least for my purposes.
(All IMHO, of course, YMMV, no offense, exaggerations are for demonstrative purposes.)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #4,152 of 15,264
Okay, so this TH-900 talk really worries me. Can someone else who knows both please chime in? Some say these sound like the MDR-Z1R, some say they sound like the TH-900, which is a bit curious as these two 'phones are almost polar opposite. While the MDR-Z1R has a very relaxed sound with a tendency to sound muffled/veiled/dull and somewhat loose bass, the TH-900 is very aggressive sounding, has literally no midrange whatsoever (including mid-bass) and sounds super super bright/zingy/piercing with a lot of sub-bass. So a lot up top, then nothing, then quite a lot again aaall the way down. While I don't much care for the MDR-Z1R, I downright hate the TH-900 and find it pretty much unbearable to listen to. So which is it, folks? I was really looking forward to trying the IER-Z1R, but if there are any similarities in tuning with the TH-900, it's like I don't even have to bother.

This is why I asked earlier ITT if the midrange dip would affect mid-bass, which is one of my greatest worries. The TH-900 has a lot of rumble, but zero punch, which is not what I'm looking for at all. Can someone comment on how kick drums sound on the IER-Z1R? With the TH-900, I keep turning the volume up looking for that slam, and all that happens is that the piercing highs are making my ears bleed. Terrible, terrible headphone, at least for my purposes.
(All IMHO, of course, YMMV, no offense, exaggerations are for demonstrative purposes.)
Any comparisons I’m making between the Z1R and the TH900 are based on the TH610 pads, which noticeably tame the treble. Although if you’re looking for punch I can’t quite say the Z1R is for you. It’s very much a subbass oriented IEM rather than a midbass one.

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #4,153 of 15,264
Andromeda is a legend. Once in a while something special comes along. Andro is special.

Z1r sound quality is better. In the past I've auditioned z1r for many many hours. But it's cable is too thick. Iem too heavy. The whole purpose of iem is convenience. Otherwise I'd pick over hear. Over head are easily better than iems.

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #4,155 of 15,264

I found it to have a slight metallic timbre somewhere in the upper mid and lower treble, similar to that found in Focal headphones,if less noticeable. It give an impression of having more detail but also stick out in some tracks due to overall darker tuning of the Z1R. It's relatively minor though and can be alleviate with certain paring (eg: warm source). Apart from that, I think the timbre is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back