SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 26, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #1,741 of 15,280
I believe in cables but when dealing with this iem where you see videos of all the research and testing that was involved in making this expensive iem it seems then they the reseach team were wrong. At this level Sony should put out a iem with the best cable for it. Maybe they used a middle of the road cable not knowing which buyer eill desire more treble or more bass ? Why doesnt Sony offer cable choices, like one for detail , one for the club, one for outdoor etc.

Really at 2000usd sony should really give up 3 pairs of z1r, one for detail, one for club, one for outdoor. I can buy 3 chifi iem for less than 100bucks and its prob not much worse than z1r

Mar 26, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #1,742 of 15,280
Really at 2000usd sony should really give up 3 pairs of z1r, one for detail, one for club, one for outdoor. I can buy 3 chifi iem for less than 100bucks and its prob not much worse than z1r
Well, when I bought Sonys custom ciem they gave a choice between detail ciem or club ciem. You can buy a 600 usd headphone and get bettern

Mar 26, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #1,743 of 15,280
Glad to hear that the ier-z1r isn't a concern with metal (which I listen to a lot of). Have these on order (was impressed after a demo at IFA 2018). I'm interested by the comments of a slightly recessed mid-range. I didn't get that when I demoed them. We'll see with the production model.

My DD has been the SE846. I know many in the audiophile community aren't a fan of them, but I love Shure's mid-centric sound sig. Say what you will, but it rocks with metal, which has me going for them more than the mildly V-shaped IE800S. Despite the ier-z1r also being mildly V-shaped, I hope Sony's focus on stereo sound makes it energetic enough to replace my SE846.

My sources are the Mojo and iDSD Micro BL

Well it’s hard to explain as you probably can figure out; the people that gell with the tone have no issues, as it all sounds completely natural and fine. You know when stuff is off as it’s wrong somewhere which keeps you from enjoying the music; a distraction. I just listened to Judas Priest Firepower and now Prequelle by Ghost. I’m now passing 300 hours and they actually seem to be opening up and getting better. Better midrange and tightness. More fluidity!

The other thing I did was go back to the Z5 for a day. And the IER-Z1R have actually less bass I have discovered. It’s low and quality but not all over the place like the Z5. But the IER-Z1R is miles better at everything. Just another world in comparison to the Z5, though it’s the closest thing I have found for reference? The IER-Z1R is more involved in the mids than the Z5. There is just more midrange information.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #1,744 of 15,280

That’s the thing the Z1R IEM does it all, no need for more gear. Basically your done, retirement from Head-Fi. I could sell everything. Everything....else.

Never heard ChiFi get quite this good, even pricey ChiFi?

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #1,745 of 15,280
That’s the thing the Z1R IEM does it all, no need for more gear. Basically your done, retirement from Head-Fi. I could sell everything. Everything....else.
Yes, but for how long?

Mar 26, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #1,746 of 15,280
Mar 26, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #1,747 of 15,280
Yes, but for how long?

Until Mark II comes out, and so on :D

Right until the set that comes with the DMP-Z2 comes out. The new OFC copper machined casework instead of aluminum.
AE902B20-F9B7-419C-B5CF-5DE6AA698F2D.jpeg

They’re gold.

Attachments

• 8EB1F9D3-E018-487F-9097-1A8FF2ED325E.jpeg
    8EB1F9D3-E018-487F-9097-1A8FF2ED325E.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #1,748 of 15,280
Well it’s hard to explain as you probably can figure out; the people that gell with the tone have no issues, as it all sounds completely natural and fine. You know when stuff is off as it’s wrong somewhere which keeps you from enjoying the music; a distraction. I just listened to Judas Priest Firepower and now Prequelle by Ghost. I’m now passing 300 hours and they actually seem to be opening up and getting better. Better midrange and tightness. More fluidity!

The other thing I did was go back to the Z5 for a day. And the IER-Z1R have actually less bass I have discovered. It’s low and quality but not all over the place like the Z5. But the IER-Z1R is miles better at everything. Just another world in comparison to the Z5, though it’s the closest thing I have found for reference? The IER-Z1R is more involved in the mids than the Z5. There is just more midrange information.

I needed an expensive cable to control the bass a little bit as the bass is all over the place with the stock cable. And the z5 mids can be recessed (especially with some female singers) with the stock cable and a better cable brought some of it back. But for edm or anything that you want some heavy thump, it delivers big time.

I am hoping that the bass in the IER-Z1R is controlled and has a nice decay, but not too much where it starts to be bloated or sloppy. And for this price I expect it to also have outstanding clarity and separation.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #1,749 of 15,280
If these sound like the full size Z1R, I'll pass. I don't want bloated and sloppy bass.

for me ier-z1r should've been the mdr z1r should sound at least technically. so for me the IER is without the MDR's bloat

but one thing that impresses me about the IER, is the bass. it is almost or the same with EX1000's linear bass.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #1,750 of 15,280
Here are my impression after using and owning M9 and Z1R for over a month: In short I like the M9 for its more intimate sound, ergonomics and price.

When I listen to M9, listening to vocal performance it feels like the artist is performing for me, its a one on one performance, they are sitting meters away from me and their focus is to please me. With Z1R, it feels like I'm in a concert, the artist is there but not only for me. Z1R is ideal for Orchestra pieces, live Jazz, anything that requires large and accurate sound stage. But M9 isn't too bad for its price. M9 is an ideal road companion keeping me happy on the road where I listen to vocal jazz bulk of my time, and at home on those odd occasion when time permits and I like to loss track of time in Malher I bring the Z1R out. Sadly Z1R just like Solaris isn't ideal for people with small ears, they are heavy and hard to keep in with the stock tips. On the other hand M9 just fits smaller ears so perfectly.

This hobby is all about fit, no matter how good the sound is, if it don't fit, what is the point.

Funny enough M9 loves getting paired with WM1Z, but the Z1R sonicaly is a better match with WM1A.

Mar 27, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #1,751 of 15,280
I needed an expensive cable to control the bass a little bit as the bass is all over the place with the stock cable. And the z5 mids can be recessed (especially with some female singers) with the stock cable and a better cable brought some of it back. But for edm or anything that you want some heavy thump, it delivers big time.

I am hoping that the bass in the IER-Z1R is controlled and has a nice decay, but not too much where it starts to be bloated or sloppy. And for this price I expect it to also have outstanding clarity and separation.

The Z5 needed 4.4mm balanced and amp power to climb out of it’s signature issues. But even with that said, and in reference to taking the Z5 sound as far as you could, the Z5 and IER-Z1R are two distinctly different animals in the end. Yes, they both need power, but the IER-Z1R is a drastic improvement on all levels. The midrange is expanded and pushed out front in comparison to the Z5. The Z5 bass has been trimmed down with the IER-Z1R, so even though it’s the closest IEM to the new IER-Z1R, the XBA-Z5 is left in the dust. Two completely different IEMs, though they do share character traits. The IER-Z1R is the Sony sound actualized.

It’s the Sony idea taken to the ultimate extreme perfection. IMO

My enthusiasm is probably bordering on annoying here? Whatever, when more folks get them the truth will be evident. I’m pretty much all done. I’ve never felt this way about any headphone or IEM, they are perfect! No one will see me buy anything new for a long time here. I can potentially see myself being satisfied for the next 5-10 years with this gear?

Though maybe some will not romance the sound signature like I do?

And......like the above post..... fit is pretty close to everything. Meaning you don’t get the sound without the right fit.

Also interestingly the above poster reiterated about the amazing synergy with the 1A instead of the more expensive 1Z. I go back and forth between using the IER-Z1R with both players also. There is something truly magical about the IER-Z1R and 1A combination. Not sure yet if it is better than the 1Z combination but I keep comparing? Obviously this combo is really all about personal sound preferences. Though I would maybe be fine with just the 1A and IER-Z1R and nothing more?

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #1,753 of 15,280
Hi,

I currently have the Z5 and change between muc-m2bt1 Bluetooth adapter and the stock cable.

Does anyone know if the IER-Z1R works with the above Bluetooth adapter?

Hopefully this isn't a repeat question, but would you guy's say its a worthy upgrade?

I've had my Z5 for 4 years and in all honesty I'm still happy with it, but I have the upgrade itch

Cheers

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #1,754 of 15,280
Hi,

I currently have the Z5 and change between muc-m2bt1 Bluetooth adapter and the stock cable.

Does anyone know if the IER-Z1R works with the above Bluetooth adapter?

Hopefully this isn't a repeat question, but would you guy's say its a worthy upgrade?

I've had my Z5 for 4 years and in all honesty I'm still happy with it, but I have the upgrade itch

Cheers
It’s a huge upgrade over the XBA-Z5. An upgrade in all ways. If you like the Z5 sound you will like the IER-Z1R, as long as it fits.

Also they sound good from a phone but need power to scale up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back