SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 30, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #1,771 of 15,290
I used the acoustune tips to make the mids a bit meatier. So far technically speaking the Z1r is very impressive. It sounds open and airy. They're like the EX1000 with different tone. I had to set my zx300's sound to Male vocal to give them warmth. but they shine even more on the SP1k.
IMG_20190328_210940.jpg

Mar 31, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #1,776 of 15,290
I used the acoustune tips to make the mids a bit meatier. So far technically speaking the Z1r is very impressive. It sounds open and airy. They're like the EX1000 with different tone. I had to set my zx300's sound to Male vocal to give them warmth. but they shine even more on the SP1k.

Can you please briefly describe your impressions while comparing EX1000 and Z1R - especially the difference in tone

Mar 31, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #1,777 of 15,290
Went to canjam SG this year, now I'm in a limbo between Z1R and Tia Trio, I found that Trio to have more refined sound especially the bass but less treble sparkle and less grand sound stage. Meanwhile Z1R, I gave it 2 more listening, I must say the sound is a bit less coherent but it conveys much more emotion to most of the songs I played and DAT sound stage. Anyone has a second opinion on this?

Mar 31, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #1,778 of 15,290
Went to canjam SG this year, now I'm in a limbo between Z1R and Tia Trio, I found that Trio to have more refined sound especially the bass but less treble sparkle and less grand sound stage. Meanwhile Z1R, I gave it 2 more listening, I must say the sound is a bit less coherent but it conveys much more emotion to most of the songs I played and DAT sound stage. Anyone has a second opinion on this?
trio oslo.jpg
zir oslo.jpg

Don't feel the sound of IER-Z1R is less "coherent"; yes, its music is always more touching. It has that magic to draw you into the music, so much that you'll soon forget all the technical analysis... The Trio on the other hand is bit more relaxing, having a little thicker mid (and perhaps bass as well). It also almost always guarantees you a perfect comfortable fit for the ears...

While the Trio is my favourite on the go, the Z1R is always my first choice at home.:)

Cheers

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #1,779 of 15,290
Here are my impression after using and owning M9 and Z1R for over a month: In short I like the M9 for its more intimate sound, ergonomics and price.

When I listen to M9, listening to vocal performance it feels like the artist is performing for me, its a one on one performance, they are sitting meters away from me and their focus is to please me. With Z1R, it feels like I'm in a concert, the artist is there but not only for me. Z1R is ideal for Orchestra pieces, live Jazz, anything that requires large and accurate sound stage. But M9 isn't too bad for its price. M9 is an ideal road companion keeping me happy on the road where I listen to vocal jazz bulk of my time, and at home on those odd occasion when time permits and I like to loss track of time in Malher I bring the Z1R out. Sadly Z1R just like Solaris isn't ideal for people with small ears, they are heavy and hard to keep in with the stock tips. On the other hand M9 just fits smaller ears so perfectly.

This hobby is all about fit, no matter how good the sound is, if it don't fit, what is the point.

Funny enough M9 loves getting paired with WM1Z, but the Z1R sonicaly is a better match with WM1A.

Would you be able to elaborate further how the sound when pairing Z1R and WM1A? I have never experienced that pair-up...

Apr 2, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #1,780 of 15,290

Don't feel the sound of IER-Z1R is less "coherent"; yes, its music is always more touching. It has that magic to draw you into the music, so much that you'll soon forget all the technical analysis... The Trio on the other hand is bit more relaxing, having a little thicker mid (and perhaps bass as well). It also almost always guarantees you a perfect comfortable fit for the ears...

While the Trio is my favourite on the go, the Z1R is always my first choice at home.:)

Cheers

I would go to Z1R as well. This baby will need over 100 hours to reveal its beauty...:)

Apr 2, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #1,781 of 15,290
Would you be able to elaborate further how the sound when pairing Z1R and WM1A? I have never experienced that pair-up...
WM1A is less warmer than Z1R, which pairs better than WM1Z which is rather becomes too thick, in comparison ofcourse. Now if you can see if you can get the LPGT, I think that tonality pairs even better with Z1R than anything out-there there.

Apr 2, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #1,782 of 15,290
WM1A is less warmer than Z1R, which pairs better than WM1Z which is rather becomes too thick, in comparison ofcourse. Now if you can see if you can get the LPGT, I think that tonality pairs even better with Z1R than anything out-there there.
Yeah I agree about pairing this iem with a more neutral dap but I dont think the LPGT sounds great, sounds good but not great. A DX200 sounds good but vs to the LPGT the DX200 sounds better.

Apr 2, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #1,784 of 15,290

Thanks …. I will find LPGT to explore that experience... Cheers

Apr 2, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #1,785 of 15,290

Users who are viewing this thread

Back