SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 11, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #977 of 15,354
21BFFA98-3F8F-4060-855C-E45D25C05038.png
It’s worth noting that the VX has a dynamic driver for the bass, just like the Z1R.

10 BA only no DD.

Feb 11, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #978 of 15,354
Would Upgraded Cables be impacting the sound in this comparison ? How much was your cables , and what improvements is it supposed to bring over stock ? On VX

Its a $300 silver cable, I didn't compare my cable with the copper/silver stock cable.

Feb 11, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #979 of 15,354
Wait I thought VX was a 10BA and not a hybrid

Unless there are other version that I'm not aware of, it shouldn't.

10 BA only no DD.

After some research, it turns out I am indeed mistaken. It is a full-BA IEM. Sorry for the confusion, guys! I remember the first buzz that came about it was, “Can’t wait to hear QDC’s flagship hybrid!” and “QDC’s joining the hybrid race!” This was before the specs were revealed and all we had to go off of was a photo of the VX with what looked like vents for a DD. I also asked Calvin of Music Sanctuary whether or not it was a hybrid and he said “Yes.” Either some miscommunication occurred or he had the same info I had then, but it’s clear that I haven’t been following it enough to realise when the specs were officially revealed.

With that said, I did give it a listen some time ago and - whether by its own quality or my own biases - I was definitely fooled. The impact (and decay, especially) it produced was near or on dynamic-level to my ears. But still, I stand corrected and I’m sorry for any confusion. Back to your usual programming. :D

Feb 11, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #980 of 15,354
Got the chance to A/B VX and Z1R today for a total of 5+ hours swapping between the two. I don't really review audio gear, so I'll keep it short. In terms of soundstage/detail VX is still better but like all BA IEMs, it lacks decay and the punchy bass. Not to say Z1R doesn't have top tier resolution, it just can't match up against VX when you are switching between the two.

you demoed the vx with all switches off ? and its lacking bass for you...that's when the switches will come in handy with the vx.

Feb 11, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #981 of 15,354
What do people think of the Z1R vs. Solaris? There’s still no news of a new Campfire Audio distributor in Korea, so it might unfortunately be removed from consideration.

If anyone’s compared the Z1R to Trinity (SS) or Khan, those comparisons would be great too.

Feb 11, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #982 of 15,354
What do people think of the Z1R vs. Solaris? There’s still no news of a new Campfire Audio distributor in Korea, so it might unfortunately be removed from consideration.

If anyone’s compared the Z1R to Trinity (SS) or Khan, those comparisons would be great too.

Trinity comparison +1

Feb 11, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #983 of 15,354
What do people think of the Z1R vs. Solaris? .

I tried the Solaris for a similar session length after the Z1R. Surprisingly they're very different in terms of sound signature seemingly complementing each other too. Energetic and lively vs relaxed and refined. I would say the Solaris is closer to the
EX1000 in character and Z1R is following in the footsteps of the XBA-Z5.

Solaris vocals and treble details are more forward sounding and have faster attack. Solaris' Bass is also fast and punchy, but can feel jumpy at times.

Sound stage was also clearly wider, but flatter on the Solaris (maybe 20% more). Very impressive it gave the impression of full sized headphones at times. Z1R Sound stage is darker sounding and making it feel more cavernous and deep, so although
smaller it renders instrumental music with a grander presentation.

The Solaris is also the more efficient IEM to drive (out of a NW-WM1A at least). My rough volume match had the Z1r set to 120 vs the Solaris at 100.

Fit wise, both were very comfortable and nothing stood out as a comfort deal breaker. Comply tips were fitted to both. The Solaris sticks out more, but is lighter than the Z1R, which could be an advantage for longer sessions.

For me the stand out quality of the Solaris was the big sound stage. For the Z1R it was the non-fatiguing ethereal treble extension, this was something that I am yet to experience in an IEM using BAs for tweeters/ highend.

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #984 of 15,354

OT. This has to be one of the nicer spots in Seoul for audio gear.

E9B231A5-9A19-45AF-89DE-48D863C6B3C8.jpeg

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #985 of 15,354
OT. This has to be one of the nicer spots in Seoul for audio gear.

Yep it’s within walking distance of my house! Doesn’t have the sheer selection of the big Japanese stores, but great store nonetheless. (Also IMO a better listening environment)

Feb 12, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #986 of 15,354
Yep it’s within walking distance of my house! Doesn’t have the sheer selection of the big Japanese stores, but great store nonetheless. (Also IMO a better listening environment)

For sure, but it definitely beats the ones here in HK. Loud blasting music, crowded with kids.

Ohh... BTW, the Z1Rs are finally here in HK. Will be picking up my pre-order unit tomorrow.

Feb 12, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #987 of 15,354
For sure, but it definitely beats the ones here in HK. Loud blasting music, crowded with kids.

Ohh... BTW, the Z1Rs are finally here in HK. Will be picking up my pre-order unit tomorrow.
HK had one eith a closed room.

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #989 of 15,354
Z1R price in Korea is officially 2,499,000KRW ($2200+) and will start shipping this Friday. Bit disappointed TBH... pre-orders get an A55 dap (with additional optional bundles for their higher end stuff), but I was hoping the local price would reflect the international price drop.

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #990 of 15,354
Z1R price in Korea is officially 2,499,000KRW ($2200+) and will start shipping this Friday. Bit disappointed TBH... pre-orders get an A55 dap (with additional optional bundles for their higher end stuff), but I was hoping the local price would reflect the international price drop.

Is that dollar price in USD? If so, that's extremely high, considering I was quoted S$2499 (approx. US$1850) in Singapore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back