SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 5, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #9,541 of 15,290
For those with Z1r. Try this one (just the first 30s is enough)

https://tidal.com/track/165357164 Screenshot_20210106-004225_TIDAL.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #9,542 of 15,290
Just popped up the Z1R’s back in after a couple of days away and they are still the most bonkers thing I’ve ever heard haha big, spacious sound with ridiculous bass and treble and just sounds so right. Even the mids throw you off with how natural they sound even though they are mostly overlooked.

Edit: Prompted to write this while listening to Deadmau5 essentials on tidal FYI

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #9,543 of 15,290
Just popped up the Z1R’s back in after a couple of days away and they are still the most bonkers thing I’ve ever heard haha big, spacious sound with ridiculous bass and treble and just sounds so right. Even the mids throw you off with how natural they sound even though they are mostly overlooked.

Edit: Prompted to right this while listening to Deadmau5 essentials on tidal FYI

I totally agree, the vivid color and textures the IER emits are better referenced along side the pale realities of regular IEM experiences.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #9,545 of 15,290
Guttural, smile inducing sounds. Just so pleasing to listen to. Love it.

Well, that’s the thing. If someone owned the fastest and best handling super-car, they could go out on the track and run it. At first the experience would be just that an experience. The driving would demonstrate and generate emotional impact due to the raw nature of the car’s abilities in relation to the owner’s past memory.

Though after time, as always things start to get taken for granted, as the references start to be forgotten. Then one Sunday when a bunch of regular cars join the track, it’s obvious again where the car stands.

Jan 6, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #9,546 of 15,290
I blame the Z1Rs for making everything else I own sound muddy. I am struck by how muddled AAC bluetooth has started sounding (have ran XM3s via iPhone for a couple of years now); I used to find it perfectly acceptable before.

Jan 6, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #9,547 of 15,290
anyone here owned the z1r and had to have the CA solaris also? same same but different etc? I love the 'enjoy the music' tuning and massive tall soundstage of the z1r! The highs are smooth which is my number one priority for highs ..only if they crack that would I then be keen to have that holographic soundstage depth .... curious to go compare the z1r now here in spain to the solaris at my local store as I remember loving the solaris vs my old sony z5s

Jan 6, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #9,548 of 15,290
d4u9dv8knk961.jpg

I found this on Reddit yesterday. It's a rice cooker/warmer and, in 1946, was the first product ever released by then brand new company Sony. Obviously not audio but I thought there would be sufficiently many fellow lifelong Sony fanboys in this thread that you would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #9,549 of 15,290
d4u9dv8knk961.jpg

I found this on Reddit yesterday. It's a rice cooker/warmer and, in 1946, was the first product ever released by then brand new company Sony. Not really audio but I thought there would be sufficiently many fellow lifelong Sony fanboys in this thread that you would appreciate it.
Looks like a planar driver coil :)

Jan 6, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #9,550 of 15,290
d4u9dv8knk961.jpg

I found this on Reddit yesterday. It's a rice cooker/warmer and, in 1946, was the first product ever released by then brand new company Sony. Obviously not audio but I thought there would be sufficiently many fellow lifelong Sony fanboys in this thread that you would appreciate it.

Brilliant book

77CAC3FC-AE3D-42CA-9DF9-92E3887877E5.jpeg

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #9,551 of 15,290
d4u9dv8knk961.jpg

need this to burn in my Z1R

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #9,552 of 15,290
I use a iPhone 12 pro max as a playback source with a pretty good aftermarket dac amp 3.5mm. would the iPhone as a source be capable of feeding the Z1Rs with good sound or would using it with an iPhone 12 pro max be a waste of time? In short, do I need a better source to get the best from the Z1Rs?

This is the dac dongle I'm using...
https://www.ddhifi.com/productinfo/81227.html

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #9,553 of 15,290
I use a iPhone 12 pro max as a playback source with a pretty good aftermarket dac amp 3.5mm. would the iPhone as a source be capable of feeding the Z1Rs with good sound or would using it with an iPhone 12 pro max be a waste of time? In short, do I need a better source to get the best from the Z1Rs?

This is the dac dongle I'm using...
https://www.ddhifi.com/productinfo/81227.html
Apple dongle is marvelous...
This is a big debate, but I think you get 90-95% from a good dongle (like Apple one). Pursuing the last 5-10% is up to you.

Jan 7, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #9,554 of 15,290
Hey All ... think i found my best tip for the Z1R thusfar ... and it's (what I feel reading this thread in any case) one of the lesser loved tips ... the hybrid foam ones that ship with the iems. I had previously been using the ML silicon ones and felt the seal was the best those tip types offers. However The Z1Rs kept slipping outwards in my ears and going larger was not comfortable either or really that much better. So I tried the M hybrid foams and though insertion isn't that nice, you have to shove them in quite a bit ...but once in and warmed up they are really remarkable! Zero skull noise , no microphonics at all , and zero slippage. In my view this all leads to a markedly clearer sound and a seal that is truly 100% and stays that way for hours of use. I felt for first time that i was listening to a truly world class IEM which hadn't been the case quite due to seal issues for my own ear shape. The smoothness and power of these IEMs was really really impressive listening to BladeRunner OST at HIGH volume :)

Any other love for these here? :)

Jan 7, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #9,555 of 15,290
Hey All ... think i found my best tip for the Z1R thusfar ... and it's (what I feel reading this thread in any case) one of the lesser loved tips ... the hybrid foam ones that ship with the iems. I had previously been using the ML silicon ones and felt the seal was the best those tip types offers. However The Z1Rs kept slipping outwards in my ears and going larger was not comfortable either or really that much better. So I tried the M hybrid foams and though insertion isn't that nice, you have to shove them in quite a bit ...but once in and warmed up they are really remarkable! Zero skull noise , no microphonics at all , and zero slippage. In my view this all leads to a markedly clearer sound and a seal that is truly 100% and stays that way for hours of use. I felt for first time that i was listening to a truly world class IEM which hadn't been the case quite due to seal issues for my own ear shape. The smoothness and power of these IEMs was really really impressive listening to BladeRunner OST at HIGH volume :)

Any other love for these here? :)
For insertion, especially for the foam Sony tips. (I’ve used this technique with the xelastecs as well)
You can pull down your earlobe while you insert the earpieces. This makes it easier to insert them into your ear.
I think this is also a technique people use when inserting CIEMs. I’ve seen a lot artists do this.

You can try it if that helps.

But with the current tips I use, I don’t really need to do it anymore. They just slide right in and just go in insanely deep lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back