SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 3, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #782 of 15,290
Hard to please started four years ago. I sold all my iems and been content with headphones for two yrs. Then I started demoing sll the top of the line iems and all cant compete with the headphones until the 10000. Hence I ordered it.
Where is the 10000 available that ships to US?

Jan 3, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #783 of 15,290
Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #784 of 15,290
Where is the 10000 available that ships to US?

Same here, since it seems to be out of stock everywhere the only option I have found is eBay for 2000 euros !

Jan 5, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #785 of 15,290
Sorry all. No luck at the shops I visited in Wan Chai — no Z1R demo (production units should be out by end of month is what everyone was saying), and no JVC demo (no clue when any stock will be coming in and how many they’ll even receive).
I visited Sony Mongkok showroom this morning, they told me it will only be available after the Chinese New Year, thus, around mid of Feburary, have to wait :frowning2:

Jan 7, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #786 of 15,290
Did some comparison with my Solaris today. Tonality is more similar than I thought.
20190107_141117.jpg

Jan 7, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #788 of 15,290
Jan 7, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #789 of 15,290
Okay some quick impression here. Z1R has more bass presence than Solaris with subbass focus. The bass is really good but it not a lightning quick bombastic bass like I have expect. Quantity is also noticably less than something like Legend X that I also compared with. Mid is more forward than Solaris and a bit warmer and It does female vocal really well in my opinion. Solaris has a bit brighter treble and sparkle. I think Z1R has maybe a little wider soundstage? Either way the difference in soundstage is not that noticable out of the DMP-1Z. Solaris is a bit more airy with more headroom. Z1R is deeper.

Overall I think Z1R has a bit darker tone with more bass (although I do think the bass itself is quite similar in tone). Vocal also sound a bit more natural while Solaris is more energetic with more treble presence/ sound brighter in tone and also sound clearer. Either way I think they sound more alike than different. Both are musical sounding.

It should be noted that while both have the DMP-1Z as a source, Z1R is connected with 4.4 balanced output while Solaris is with 3.5 unbalanced which should give some advantage to Z1R in sound quality.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #790 of 15,290
Okay some quick impression here. Z1R has more bass presence than Solaris with subbass focus. The bass is really good but it not a lightning quick bombastic bass like I have expect. Quantity is also a noticable less than something like Legend X that I also compared with. Mid is more forward than Solaris and a bit warmer and It does female vocal really well in my opinion. Solaris has a bit brighter treble and sparkle. I think Z1R has maybe a little wider soundstage? Either way the difference in soundstage is not that noticable out of the DMP-1Z. Solaris is a bit more airy with more headroom.

Overall I think Z1R has a bit darker tone with more bass (although I do think the bass itself is quite similar in tone). Vocal also sound a bit more natural while Solaris is more energetic with more treble presence/ sound brighter in tone and also sound clearer. Either way I think they sound more alike than different.

It should be noted that while both have the DMP-1Z as a source, Z1R is connected with 4.4 balanced output while Solaris is with 3.5 unbalanced which should give some advantage to Z1R in sound quality.

Thank-you, that’s the single best impression I have read on the IER Z1R to date. It’s exactly what I wanted to hear. Cheers!!

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #791 of 15,290
@Misson07 Thanks for the comparison. How do you fit the fit between Solaris and Z1R?

Z1R shell look quite big and with stainless steel (?) construction which remind me of Andro S, fit might be an issue.

After trying Solaris for 4th times (duh, can’t get it out of my memory), I’m used to the fit and can get secure fit with AET tips albeit still hanging out and won’t fare well in windy environment.

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #794 of 15,290
@toughnut I think the fit is pretty good and feel comfortable in my ears (more so than I expected). Its also not that heavy. If you feel comfortable with Solaris then I think you will be happy with Z1R fit (Z1R has a bit better fit in my opnion).

Is the Z1R shape similar to the M7/M9? For what it’s worth, both of those were really comfortable, so a heavier shell that sticks out a bit wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #795 of 15,290
Great! Can’t wait to try Z1R soon. Great time to be alive where tiny IEM sound so awesome

Trying it? I’m buying it before trying it. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back