SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 7, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #811 of 15,271
I'm a bit disappointed to read that the bass isn't fast, but it seems that all hybrids is a bit weak in this area and in return you get better timbre and natural sounding decay. I wanted to pick up a hybrid IEM and it needs to be good at handling quick and hard hitting bass. The quantity doesn't need to be on the level of the LX or Vega, but quality needs to be there. I'm sure that it's not horrible, but not it's strong suit. I thought the trio handled speed bass hits pretty well, but I was hoping for a cheaper option.

The jvc 10000 talk has now gotten me interested in that. Mostly because I can hardly believe that a single DD can be that good. I hope to go to Japan this year and hope that I can listen to it and possibly buy it if I like it. I've had a few Woodies and they were good for the price, but were too slow and was too bloomy and I eventually sold all of them when I got tired of them. This 10000 sounds more like a keeper.
I do think that the Z1R have really nice bass and have quantity that will satisfy most people but, yeah, as someone who have used the Trio before, the presentation of the bass is quite different and Trio bass is more dominant than that of the Z1R. I don't think quantity is that different but Z1R bass just sound more relax in general. It does suit the rest of the signature but I think the mid is the most defining trait of the Z1R. Treble is not that prominent but it really nice and sound very open while still being natural sounding.

Also while I said the bass of Z1R being not super fast its not exactly on the slower side of thing either. I think they will keep up with most fast music well enough.

It could also be that I always listen to LX recently so my sense of bass quantity could be quite skewed lol

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #812 of 15,271
I do think that the Z1R have really nice bass and have quantity that will satisfy most people but, yeah, as someone who have used the Trio before, the presentation of the bass is quite different and Trio bass is more dominant than that of the Z1R. I don't think quantity is that different but Z1R bass just sound more relax in general. It does suit the rest of the signature but I think the mid is the most defining trait of the Z1R. Treble is not that prominent but it really nice and sound very open while still being natural sounding.

Also while I said the bass of Z1R being not super fast its not exactly on the slower side of thing either. I think they will keep up with most fast music well enough.

It could also be that I always listen to LX recently so my sense of bass quantity could be quite screw lol
What were the tracks you used to judge bass ?

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #813 of 15,271
What were the tracks you used to judge bass ?
Can't remember the name because its not a tracks I'm familar with (I didn't have any source with 4.4 output with me so I have to test with tracks that came with the DMP-1Z) but the description shouldn't be too far off because I tried the Legend X with the same songs on the same source right after.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #814 of 15,271
Can't remember the name because its not a tracks I'm familar with (I didn't have any source with 4.4 output with me so I have to test with tracks that came with the DMP-1Z) but the description shouldn't be too far off because I try the Legend X with the same songs on the same source right after.
ooo ok, if you could use your music which tracks would you have used ?

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #816 of 15,271
I don't have an exact tracks that I use to test bass but probably something like The Rolling Stones - Paint It, Black or Jimi Hendrix rendition of All Along the Watch Tower. Never been into something too heavy.
thanks, so you usually listen to Classic Rock.

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #818 of 15,271
I listen to a lot of music but for more modern pop stuff I never care that much about bass as long as its not outright terrible.
Rush, Lamb of God, Steely Dan , and Toto they have some nice deep and fast bass. Thanks for demoing and posting your experiences.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #819 of 15,271
I'm a bit disappointed to read that the bass isn't fast, but it seems that all hybrids is a bit weak in this area and in return you get better timbre and natural sounding decay. I wanted to pick up a hybrid IEM and it needs to be good at handling quick and hard hitting bass. The quantity doesn't need to be on the level of the LX or Vega, but quality needs to be there. I'm sure that it's not horrible, but not it's strong suit. I thought the trio handled speed bass hits pretty well, but I was hoping for a cheaper option.

The jvc 10000 talk has now gotten me interested in that. Mostly because I can hardly believe that a single DD can be that good. I hope to go to Japan this year and hope that I can listen to it and possibly buy it if I like it. I've had a few Woodies and they were good for the price, but were too slow and was too bloomy and I eventually sold all of them when I got tired of them. This 10000 sounds more like a keeper.
The FW10000 bass isn't particularly fast either, especially compared to FD01.

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #821 of 15,271
Is the tonality same or similar to XBA-Z5?

I’m guessing more midrange and more forward, not so far-away sounding like the Z5. Which is exactly what I would change about the Z5.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #822 of 15,271
Is the tonality same or similar to XBA-Z5?
@Redcarmoose got it right with Z1R has more forward mid. They also just sound pretty different in general. Z1R is just much more natural sounding than the Z5 and didn't have that sharpness/shrillness in the treble that I find to be unpleasant in the Z5. It also much more open sounding even though the Z1R is the one that actually has warmer midrange and smoother treble. Other than that I think the Z5 has harder hitting bass and sharper attack? Maybe you can tell from what I wrote but it should be note that I don't really like the Z5 even though I have owned 2 of them on different occasions. I personally much prefer the A3 tonality.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #824 of 15,271
@Redcarmoose got it right with Z1R has more forward mid. They also just sound pretty different in general. Z1R is just much more natural sounding than the Z5 and didn't have that sharpness/shrillness in the treble that I find to be unpleasant in the Z5. It also much more open sounding even though the Z1R is the one that actually has warmer midrange and smoother treble. Other than that I think the Z5 has harder hitting bass and sharper attack? Maybe you can tell from what I wrote but it should be note that I don't really like the Z5 even though I have owned 2 of them on different occasions. I personally much prefer the A3 tonality.
Can you please compare them to the IE800 i see you have them in your inventory? Also can someone that have or heard the Atlas compare to this? It would be interesting to compare them because the Atlas have a 10mm dynamic driver while the Z1r have two and one of them is 12mm. One of this two will be in my next purchase.

Jan 12, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #825 of 15,271
ooo ok, if you could use your music which tracks would you have used ?
Many tracks from Marcus Miller albums provide a great range of bass, and can give you a good comparison of decay and cohesiveness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back