SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 7, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #798 of 15,271

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #799 of 15,271
Some more of my opinion/observation.

1. The Z1R IS a great pair of iem.
2. The sound signature suit to folks who love open sounding vocal but don't want that bit of brightness or lean sounding vocal.
3. Sound very natural.
4. More open sounding than the MDR-Z1R (less dark?) but otherwise inferior in overall fidelity. Should come to no one surprise,though.
5.Out of the three iems that I compared with today (with Solaris and Legend X), I and my friend agree that we wouldn't be able to guess which one is more expensive than others by the sound alone.

Bonus short comparison of the WM1Z and DMP-1Z : Both have that "high-end Sony" house sound which is basically very rich and smooth with good detail and airiness. DMP-1Z is superior in layering/detail retrieval/resolution/airiness and all that good things but its also a bit sharper and dryer in comparison to the WM1Z. I much prefer the WM1Z's slightly warmer and smoother sound.

...I think I should go demo the FW10000 next.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #800 of 15,271
Okay some quick impression here. Z1R has more bass presence than Solaris with subbass focus. The bass is really good but it not a lightning quick bombastic bass like I have expect. Quantity is also a noticable less than something like Legend X that I also compared with. Mid is more forward than Solaris and a bit warmer and It does female vocal really well in my opinion. Solaris has a bit brighter treble and sparkle. I think Z1R has maybe a little wider soundstage? Either way the difference in soundstage is not that noticable out of the DMP-1Z. Solaris is a bit more airy with more headroom. Z1R is deeper.

Overall I think Z1R has a bit darker tone with more bass (although I do think the bass itself is quite similar in tone). Vocal also sound a bit more natural while Solaris is more energetic with more treble presence/ sound brighter in tone and also sound clearer. Either way I think they sound more alike than different. Both are musical sounding.

It should be noted that while both have the DMP-1Z as a source, Z1R is connected with 4.4 balanced output while Solaris is with 3.5 unbalanced which should give some advantage to Z1R in sound quality.
Nice to see the impression! However, why didn't you also try out the solaris using the 4.4 sony kimber cable for a fair comparison? As both of them use mmcx connector

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #801 of 15,271
Some more of my opinion/observation.

1. The Z1R IS a great pair of iem.
2. The sound signature suit to folks who love open sounding vocal but don't want that bit of brightness or lean sounding vocal.
3. Sound very natural.
4. More open sounding than the MDR-Z1R (less dark?) but otherwise inferior in overall fidelity. Should come to no one surprise,though.
5.Out of the three iems that I compared with today (with Solaris and Legend X), I and my friend agree that we wouldn't be able to guess which one is more expensive than others by the sound alone.

Bonus short comparison of the WM1Z and DMP-1Z : Both have that "high-end Sony" house sound which is basically very rich and smooth with good detail and airiness. DMP-1Z is superior in layering/detail retrieval/resolution/airiness and all that good things but its also a bit sharper and dryer in comparison to the WM1Z. I much prefer the WM1Z's slightly warmer and smoother sound.

...I think I should go demo the FW10000 next.
Well, buy it and let us know how you like it after a month of use.

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #802 of 15,271
Nice to see the impression! However, why didn't you also try out the solaris using the 4.4 sony kimber cable for a fair comparison? As both of them use mmcx connector
The salesperson at Sony Store was staring at me so I didn't want to mess with it too much :p

Also, I believe that in a comparison I should try to preserve the original sound of an iem as much as possible.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #804 of 15,271
The salesperson at Sony Store was staring at me so I didn't want to mess with it too much :p

Also, I believe that in a comparion I should try to preserve the original sound of an iem as much as possible.
Haha everyone had this kind of experience. Also, do you think that z1r is a better option compared to Solaris if I already have a pair of andros, since I heard many people saying that solaris and andros have a similar sound signature?

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #805 of 15,271
Haha everyone had this kind of experience. Also, do you think that z1r is a better option compared to Solaris if I already have a pair of andros, since I heard many people saying that solaris and andros have a similar sound signature?

Eh apart from having CA house sound the Solaris doesn't really sound like Andromeda. Maybe the S version is closer but not the original one.

I would say that if you really like CA house sound (revealing but smooth with sparkle, and fun sounding) the Solaris is different enough from Andromeda to warrent a purchase but if you want something a bit more natural sounding then the Z1R it is.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #807 of 15,271
47FE5A2D-ACC7-419F-9AF1-BC36A3AB062D.jpeg
Nice video. Just noticed that the circular pattern on the Z1R is similar to those finishing on fine watches, a term called perlage.

Didn’t know the name; once saw a steel truck tank finished that way.

Jan 7, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #808 of 15,271
Both Solaris and Z1R are retailing round about the same price range where I am located. If they are pretty much on par in terms of performance, I think it is obvious the Sony would be a smarter choice. Just the amount of new proprietary design and bespoke components going into it, not forgetting the "out of this world" presentation & packaging. Why wouldn't you want a piece of cutting edge tech over something that is built with off the shelf components?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #809 of 15,271
Okay some quick impression here. Z1R has more bass presence than Solaris with subbass focus. The bass is really good but it not a lightning quick bombastic bass like I have expect. Quantity is also noticably less than something like Legend X that I also compared with. Mid is more forward than Solaris and a bit warmer and It does female vocal really well in my opinion. Solaris has a bit brighter treble and sparkle. I think Z1R has maybe a little wider soundstage? Either way the difference in soundstage is not that noticable out of the DMP-1Z. Solaris is a bit more airy with more headroom. Z1R is deeper.

Overall I think Z1R has a bit darker tone with more bass (although I do think the bass itself is quite similar in tone). Vocal also sound a bit more natural while Solaris is more energetic with more treble presence/ sound brighter in tone and also sound clearer. Either way I think they sound more alike than different. Both are musical sounding.

It should be noted that while both have the DMP-1Z as a source, Z1R is connected with 4.4 balanced output while Solaris is with 3.5 unbalanced which should give some advantage to Z1R in sound quality.

I'm a bit disappointed to read that the bass isn't fast, but it seems that all hybrids is a bit weak in this area and in return you get better timbre and natural sounding decay. I wanted to pick up a hybrid IEM and it needs to be good at handling quick and hard hitting bass. The quantity doesn't need to be on the level of the LX or Vega, but quality needs to be there. I'm sure that it's not horrible, but not it's strong suit. I thought the trio handled speed bass hits pretty well, but I was hoping for a cheaper option.

The jvc 10000 talk has now gotten me interested in that. Mostly because I can hardly believe that a single DD can be that good. I hope to go to Japan this year and hope that I can listen to it and possibly buy it if I like it. I've had a few Woodies and they were good for the price, but were too slow and was too bloomy and I eventually sold all of them when I got tired of them. This 10000 sounds more like a keeper.

Jan 7, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #810 of 15,271
I'm a bit disappointed to read that the bass isn't fast, but it seems that all hybrids is a bit weak in this area and in return you get better timbre and natural sounding decay. I wanted to pick up a hybrid IEM and it needs to be good at handling quick and hard hitting bass. The quantity doesn't need to be on the level of the LX or Vega, but quality needs to be there. I'm sure that it's not horrible, but not it's strong suit. I thought the trio handled speed bass hits pretty well, but I was hoping for a cheaper option.

The jvc 10000 talk has now gotten me interested in that. Mostly because I can hardly believe that a single DD can be that good. I hope to go to Japan this year and hope that I can listen to it and possibly buy it if I like it. I've had a few Woodies and they were good for the price, but were too slow and was too bloomy and I eventually sold all of them when I got tired of them. This 10000 sounds more like a keeper.

Of the Z5, N3 the Z1R and Z7, all of which I own and love............I would not call any of their bass super fast. That’s the Sony house sound. I was expecting this style of description. :)

That’s the Hi/Fi sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back