SONY IER-Z1R
Dec 27, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #751 of 15,280
Not sure if that comes across well from french but this release is feeling more and more like a “damp squib”.

Why hurry to bring half baked prototypes to select markets when the product isn’t even finalized?

This looks to me like a terrible strategies these days where information (and mis-information for that matter) moves so fast...

For me, net result from this PR event is that I will approach this product with a 10 foot pole.

The half baked prototypes are ready for demo at select East Asian/South East Asian Sony stores so nothing suggests to me that the product isn't pretty much finalized. I suspect there's more problems with the manufacturing process than anything else, the shells and propriety drivers aren't your typical Knowles/Sonion off the shelf solutions and it isn't made in China where manufacturing changes can occur far faster than anywhere else.

The launch isn't really anything different from a delayed piece of software or anything else really. If the end unit sounds similar to the demo unit, its still going to make money through word of mouth.

Dec 27, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #752 of 15,280
The half baked prototypes are ready for demo at select East Asian/South East Asian Sony stores so nothing suggests to me that the product isn't pretty much finalized. I suspect there's more problems with the manufacturing process than anything else, the shells and propriety drivers aren't your typical Knowles/Sonion off the shelf solutions and it isn't made in China where manufacturing changes can occur far faster than anywhere else.

The launch isn't really anything different from a delayed piece of software or anything else really. If the end unit sounds similar to the demo unit, its still going to make money through word of mouth.

There’ve been a couple demo events in Korea as well, with pretty glowing reviews. From what I’ve heard, the delay has to do with parts shortages or something?

Dec 28, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #754 of 15,280
I'm waiting, but not so patiently. To me, a well executed iem that uses DD for both bass and lower midrange, with a separate tweeter is the configuration for which I've been waiting. I want something that plays Paul Chamber's lead line of So What, John Coltrane's tenor of A Love Supreme, and the grandeur of Mahler's 1st with the right timber and space...

Dec 28, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #755 of 15,280
2D232A7A-ECC6-4411-B306-C459A8749128.jpeg
I will patiently wait for these

Me too.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #756 of 15,280
I'm waiting, but not so patiently. To me, a well executed iem that uses DD for both bass and lower midrange, with a separate tweeter is the configuration for which I've been waiting. I want something that plays Paul Chamber's lead line of So What, John Coltrane's tenor of A Love Supreme, and the grandeur of Mahler's 1st with the right timber and space...

I think this configuration will be ideal for me too but 2300 eur it's exaggerated.
Maybe an N3AP upgrade will have a less inflated price while keeping the trend with DD for bass and mids.

Dec 29, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #757 of 15,280
1E482268-55F4-43F8-A365-8935639AE053.jpeg
AB98E940-F925-4F59-8D3B-F34CB66A60A8.jpeg
Just some pictures someone took.

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #761 of 15,280
Anyone know if there are any shops in Hong Kong that have thse for audition? I’m here for a few days from the states.
Mong Kong location. DMA, Jaben, Right Sound . Wan Chai location are Lets Go Audio, DMA, Mingo.

Jan 1, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #763 of 15,280
Thanks! I don’t have my preferred source with me, but I did bring my Solaris. Not sure if these represent the final tuning, but very interested to see how they compare to the initial reactions, the CA hybrids, and my own tastes.
Go to Mong Kok DMA shop and demo the new JVC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back