SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 18, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #1,636 of 15,276
I was lucky to try all 3 new Sony iems. The m7 sounds too smooth for me, the CA Polaris is a better iem IMHO. The M9 is has a smooth and bigger soundstage. The Z1R is an entirely different beast. That thing sounds like a heavy hitting Hifi system, so sweet to the ears.

Mar 18, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #1,638 of 15,276
How does Solaris compares with Z1R? Which one do you prefer?
Me? Sorry but I haven't tried the Solaris. It was the Polaris that I ended up buying rather than the m7. The M9 for my opinion isn't worth the price. The M7 is a better buy. The Z1R is a dream to my eard though. It does need a lot of driving power (M7,M9 and Z1R). But man the Z1R has lots of emotions flowing haha.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #1,640 of 15,276
Me? Sorry but I haven't tried the Solaris. It was the Polaris that I ended up buying rather than the m7. The M9 for my opinion isn't worth the price. The M7 is a better buy. The Z1R is a dream to my eard though. It does need a lot of driving power (M7,M9 and Z1R). But man the Z1R has lots of emotions flowing haha.
So a "dream" only comparing iems and the iems you mentioned ? What other totl iems did you buy ? Also what TRACKS did you use ?

Mar 18, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #1,643 of 15,276
The only reason you would get the Solaris instead of Z1R, is if you prefer the Solaris' sound signature.

What is the Solaris sound signature though? Is it Phantom-like?

Mar 18, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #1,644 of 15,276
So a "dream" only comparing iems and the iems you mentioned ? What other totl iems did you buy ? Also what TRACKS did you use ?
At the moment it's a dream iem for me because of the price obviously. I only have a CA Polaris and a Hum Prinstine R currently. None of them is a TOTL iem. I tried the Noble Encore, EE Phantom and Legend X briefly and the Z1R. For my preference it's the Noble Encore then the Z1R (for fun sounding) then the Legend X and then the Phantom. Take it with a grain of salt as I don't own any of them. Tracks I used are just all in Flacs (1. Slash & Cornell's "Promise" 2. Muna's "I know a place" 3.Foo Fighters "Feast and the famine" 4.Ozzy's "Bark at the moon" 5.VHS collection "So I met someone"). I don't have a deep pocket like most people here though so that's that.

Mar 18, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #1,645 of 15,276
Have you tried both? How would you compare these two?

I think you asked me the same question over at the Solaris thread. I have z1r and I demoed Solaris mutiple times in e-e and in china. In terms of technical ability z1r is better than solaris, but I can see why some would prefer solaris over z1r, mostly due to preference of sound signature and maybe fit.

Mar 18, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #1,647 of 15,276
I think you asked me the same question over at the Solaris thread. I have z1r and I demoed Solaris mutiple times in e-e and in china. In terms of technical ability z1r is better than solaris, but I can see why some would prefer solaris over z1r, mostly due to preference of sound signature and maybe fit.

Solaris is a little too big and not necessarily ergonimically friendly so not sure why people would choose it for fit reason. I found Solaris to be neutral as you said but sort of dry with clean imaging. Not had a chance to hear z1r..just curious.

Mar 18, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #1,648 of 15,276
Solaris is a little too big and not necessarily ergonimically friendly so not sure why people would choose it for fit reason. I found Solaris to be neutral as you said but sort of dry with clean imaging. Not had a chance to hear z1r..just curious.

Z1r is even bigger, I went to a z1r launch event in china, I have seen people not being able to keep z1r in their ears. Z1r doesn't have any mojor flaws in terms of sound, but the fit would be a problem for some and it would be a dealbreaker.

Mar 18, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #1,650 of 15,276
I thought Solaris was big but Z1R is even bigger? Good to know. Thanks for sharing..

Z1R is pretty big. IMO the shell design is pretty nice (if it fits, it’ll fit comfortably and well - unlike with some of the fatter IEMs from Noble, Unique Melody, etc.) but it could be too big for some people’s ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back