SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 17, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #1,606 of 15,275
Have you been able to try the Solaris as well? The Solaris is also supposed to be an improvement over the Andromeda, $500 cheaper than the Z1R and from the posts of some not needing as expensive sources.

If you asked my opinion, the Z1R is better than the Solaris. Considering both of them cost the same in my location. The Solaris has poorer value, not just in sound, but also in design, bespoke components, innovation, construction and packaging.

Mar 17, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #1,608 of 15,275
I never said they were. But if compared to the Solaris, they are better. And if you are trying to pick between the two, to me it would be the Z1R.
Understood, but theres an issue with your opinion. It seems to me you will buy anything totl that Sony makes. Seems you are as much as a Sony collector as a Sony user.

Mar 17, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #1,610 of 15,275
No issue. I have campfire products too. I would say I am more of a Sennheiser person.
Sennheiser more clearer, more detailed than Sony?

Mar 17, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #1,611 of 15,275
Depends what you are referring to.

At the end of the day, you make your own decisions on what sounds best. Some like it muddy, just like some would crave for junk food. I can't enforce my standard on everyone, likewise for you.

Mar 17, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #1,612 of 15,275
Depends what you are referring to.

At the end of the day, you make your own decisions on what sounds best. Some like it muddy, just like some would crave for junk food. I can't enforce my standard on everyone, likewise for you.
Audio dodge ball.

Mar 17, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #1,614 of 15,275
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/jmills8.434806/

Yep, I’m a Sony collector too. Why, because I like the sound. Does it cloud a true objective opinion? I don’t know? Some folks like only Johnny Walker scotch some like to drink Jack Daniel’s? Does it make them bad people, or misinformed idiots for what they like? It’s I think it boils down to taste. Each company in audio has a house sound. Also some stick with a quality that they know when making big purchases as it just feels safer.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #1,615 of 15,275
Now all we need are a vocal few to totally rip on anyone with less than favorable takes on these IEMs, complete with conspiracy theories, insults and hints of xenophobia, some without even having tried them at all, that seems to be how it's done on this site, yes? In all seriousness, nothing is perfect. No need to be surprised some won't like what you do, and vice versa. I, like many others, happen to like these a lot, but that doesn't definitely mean you or anyone else will as well. I don't plan on selling these quietly anytime soon either :)
Really, I am not sure what this reply was all about and where it comes from since nothing I have posted here implies anything you think I meant :upside_down:

I merely said the impressions posted on the IER-Z1R were confusing to me, just as @joshnor713 did. I am not sure how this is insulting or warrants any other stuff you seem to be pinning on me (still puzzled about the disproportionate reaction, really...) and the insinuation about my selling the Solaris “quietly” (not really, as it’s public in the Solaris thread) which I very much regret but I had to for financial reasons that did leave me no choice (just as I had to sell the FW10000, and quite a few other gear I loved). I’ll repurchase them later, no doubt.

Contrary to what you seem to be thinking, I am not partial to any brand nor am I among those who think X is better than Y. Me saying the Solaris being a great IEM doesn’t make the IER-Z1R any less good. There is room for difference, isn’t there? Nobody owns any truth, and certainly not me, I have repeated this over and over. At the end of the day gear is nothing more than a mean to enjoy music and this is a hobby first and foremost I am here to share and enjoy.

So back on topic, I can’t get a picture of the IER-Z1R signature after several people posted impressions as I get a contradicting picture is all I am saying. I was among the first to pre-order by the way but then the launch was postponed and it’s still not available to us Europeans... I usually don’t get the itch to audition, but the IER-Z1R is very intriguing and I’ll sure get my own impressions this time around when (if) I finally can.

Mar 17, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #1,616 of 15,275
I dunno, the signature is pretty clear to me:
  • Great bass
  • Somewhat lean mids that aren't terribly horrible. Best with female vocals, noticeable leanness with dry male vocals.
  • Fit dependent treble that's dependent on how deep you can insert them, which might be difficult for people with smaller ears or can't deal with the weight. Smooth treble if you can get a good fit, more uneven treble if you cannot. Stuff like this is Portable Audio 101.

The graphs themselves explain like 80% of the story if you're able to understand them. And again, people noting insufficient bass and peaky treble are probably having issues with the fit/seal. I suspect a lot of people don't know what a good quality seal actually is, you see this when people really complain about electrostatic full size headphones macrodynamics. They're not really macrodynamically limited, they just get zero content below 100hz and get an upward tilting frequency response if you're breaking the seal because of your head shape and/or glasses. Which can be hard to achieve because the eapads are rectangular shaped.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #1,617 of 15,275
Really, I am not sure what this reply was all about and where it comes from since nothing I have posted here implies anything you think I meant :upside_down:

I merely said the impressions posted on the IER-Z1R were confusing to me, just as @joshnor713 did. I am not sure how this is insulting or warrants any other stuff you seem to be pinning on me (still puzzled about the disproportionate reaction, really...) and the insinuation about my selling the Solaris “quietly” (not really, as it’s public in the Solaris thread) which I very much regret but I had to for financial reasons that did leave me no choice (just as I had to sell the FW10000, and quite a few other gear I loved). I’ll repurchase them later, no doubt.

Contrary to what you seem to be thinking, I am not partial to any brand nor am I among those who think X is better than Y. Me saying the Solaris being a great IEM doesn’t make the IER-Z1R any less good. There is room for difference, isn’t there? Nobody owns any truth, and certainly not me, I have repeated this over and over. At the end of the day gear is nothing more than a mean to enjoy music and this is a hobby first and foremost I am here to share and enjoy.

So back on topic, I can’t get a picture of the IER-Z1R signature after several people posted impressions as I get a contradicting picture is all I am saying. I was among the first to pre-order by the way but then the launch was postponed and it’s still not available to us Europeans... I usually don’t get the itch to audition, but the IER-Z1R is very intriguing and I’ll sure get my own impressions this time around when (if) I finally can.

The graph should give you a basic idea of the sound signature.

You could also ask if anyone uses the same sources that you use and how it sounds with the type of music you like and hope someone has the same gear and likes the same music as you do and maybe someone can chime in with an honest answer. After asking a lot of questions, I think I have a good idea of how they will sound. I'm not expecting perfection, but a fun sounding IEM that should sound good with the music that I like that's not metal. I still believe that I'll be using my A12t and Ether 2 with metal music over the z1r whenever I get them as those two should be better at speed. I'll still try them out with all types of music that I like and see if it can be a good all rounder.

I'm still concerned with fit, but the lack of major complaints in that department gives me hope that I can wear them without feeling discomfort.

Mar 17, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #1,618 of 15,275
I dunno, the signature is pretty clear to me:

The graphs themselves explain like 80% of the story if you're able to understand them. And again, people noting insufficient bass and peaky treble are probably having issues with the fit/seal. I suspect a lot of people don't know what a good quality seal actually is, you see this when people really complain about electrostatic full size headphones macrodynamics. They're not really macrodynamically limited, they just get zero content below 100hz and get an upward tilting frequency response if you're breaking the seal because of your head shape and/or glasses. Which can be hard to achieve because the eapads are rectangular shaped.

My guess to the people who say it lacks bass and has shrieky treble are using weak sources like running it straight out of a phone or weak DAP.

Mar 17, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #1,619 of 15,275
Depends on what clear means to you. But the Solaris if I can recall, does sound less airy than the Andromeda.

The Solaris sounds a bit muddier to me. My main headphones are Stax SR007A which are among the clearest/most transparent sounding headphones there are, so I'm pretty sensitive to "lack of air".

Completely agree with that !

Mar 17, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #1,619 of 15,275
Folks, got my Z1R (serial number 278) few days back and have been spending more time with them versus my other Sony gems (Just Ear & MDR Z1R- Serial number 1179). I also have Oppo PM1 which I use occasionally.

My overall impression.. Sony has done something magical with a universal IEM. IEM - Z1R have a very similar sound signature (Sound Stage, musicality, perfect balance of base / treble , instrument separation, decay etc. etc..) and very surprisingly, just as satisfying sound as my custom fit Just Ear.

I will not go much into the technicalities of lower bass, mid bass, mid treble etc. etc.. as I do not hear things separately. I just listen to total sound of the music and decide if I like it or not and vary rarely get into individual aspects of "It is better than that or not as good as that" comparison. These single point comparisons are just useless to me in my purchase decision as I can either accept the whole package or reject it.

IER-Z1R were the only ones that I had purchased on pre-order. I had sampled the MDR Z1R and also did the test demo of the Just Ear but I was confident in my purchase of Z1R based upon all the other Sony Signature products that I have the pleasure of listening and owning (ZH1ES, Walkmans 1A & 1Z- (1Z was purchased 2 years after the 1A as I had to save up the money and also got enticed by a great price on Jaben last year). I also own the ZX2 since way back and is now dedicated to serve with the ZH1ES)

Some may end up calling my ownership of Sony gear as "Fan Boy" mentality but it is what it is. Since I bought into their ZX2 many years back, every iteration of their units (in Signature Series) has been just one amazing feat after another.

More on Z1R, I tried various tips and found the ones that work for me well. Once the tip part is settled, these headphone fit well and despite their size / weight, feel just fine in the ear and once the music starts, I do not even feel them in ear. Just amazing sound clarity, stage, depth, dimensionality, image. These are keepers for me.

Those who are on the fence just based upon other's review / comments, please do not make the mistake of buying or not buying based upon some one's opinion. Best thing to do it is demo them at the first possible opportunity and then make your call.

Happy hunting folks..

BTW.. I agree with some comments about the supplied cables. They are just perfect and I am not planning to purchase any additional cables with IER-Z1R like I did with MDR-Z1R & even Just Ear.

Mar 17, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #1,620 of 15,275
the eastern europeans chart also applies to most asians like myself.

00D84116-5456-4E3A-A426-F5159985C9EA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back