SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 17, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #1,621 of 15,275
Mar 17, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #1,624 of 15,275
The graph should give you a basic idea of the sound signature.

You could also ask if anyone uses the same sources that you use and how it sounds with the type of music you like and hope someone has the same gear and likes the same music as you do and maybe someone can chime in with an honest answer. After asking a lot of questions, I think I have a good idea of how they will sound. I'm not expecting perfection, but a fun sounding IEM that should sound good with the music that I like that's not metal. I still believe that I'll be using my A12t and Ether 2 with metal music over the z1r whenever I get them as those two should be better at speed. I'll still try them out with all types of music that I like and see if it can be a good all rounder.

I'm still concerned with fit, but the lack of major complaints in that department gives me hope that I can wear them without feeling discomfort.

Spent a good portion of the evening listening to rock/metal.

Black Sabbath-Vol. 4
Judas Priest-Painkiller
Fear Factory-Genexus
Led Zeppelin-4
Limp Bizkit-Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water (don’t laugh)
The Who-Tommy 1969
Dick Dale-King of the Surf Guitar

It was absolutely the best I have ever heard “Painkiller”!

I’m pretty sure your going to be posting how good they do with metal. The Dick Dale was an album that really surprised me. Recorded in 1963 it’s very representative of that era of recording, maybe like Motown style where you have extreme right and left positioning with big reverb panned opposite. I actually couldn’t get over how great the album is replayed. A whole different experience really, and I have owned it since 1982. So it can do a very different rendition of older recordings by somehow locking in to the actual instrument detail in a new and exciting way. It’s that nothing is added, probably parallel the experience to seeing super high resolution photographs where everything looks normal only way, way more clear and detailed in the end?

“Tommy” was beyond words. Again I’m locking into to the reverb rendition being totally normal but amazingly spatial and sincere, with vocals and instruments being so well toned and positioned.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #1,626 of 15,275
The graph should give you a basic idea of the sound signature.

You could also ask if anyone uses the same sources that you use and how it sounds with the type of music you like and hope someone has the same gear and likes the same music as you do and maybe someone can chime in with an honest answer. After asking a lot of questions, I think I have a good idea of how they will sound. I'm not expecting perfection, but a fun sounding IEM that should sound good with the music that I like that's not metal. I still believe that I'll be using my A12t and Ether 2 with metal music over the z1r whenever I get them as those two should be better at speed. I'll still try them out with all types of music that I like and see if it can be a good all rounder.

I'm still concerned with fit, but the lack of major complaints in that department gives me hope that I can wear them without feeling discomfort.

Fit wise, the Z1R isn't really an IEM that should be uncomfortable (doesn't really have edges like the Andromeda, isn't un-ergonomic like the Noble BA-IEMs, etc.) It's shaped pretty nicely... it just also happens to be big.

It's no Rai Penta when it comes to fit, but even for someone with smaller ear canals like me, getting a decent/good fit with the Z1R isn't too difficult.

Mar 17, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #1,627 of 15,275
How would you compare MDR-Z1R to IER-Z1R?

That’s the hardest question due to it being a miniature reproduction with the IER-Z1R. So it’s not only condensed but bigger as part of the soundstage is inside your head where the full-size Z1R is all only outside your head.

The miniature placement can seem better as it’s actually easer in a way to read. Picture trying to hold too big of book infront of your view too close. Where the normal size book held at a normal distance offers a lazy and easy way to read, or look at pictures.

So there maybe slightly less information but due to the soundstage with the IER-Z1R being so big and the bass being so darn good, the experience has so many parallels. One thing is the IER-Z1R is more comfortable in bed, only because the full-size Z1R is giant. So you can’t move your head, really! Some folks have actually sold their full-size Z1Rs as they were too big. Lol

I listen to the Z7 normally in bed or the IER-Z1R due to the size of the full-size Z1R. Still the full-size Z1R is an experience that is hard to match with IEMs. Any IEMs. IMO

But the IER-Z1R may do vocals slightly better? They have the same overall sound. Still the IER-Z1R may be slightly more well rounded. It’s going to be interesting to hear what people report if they own both. Again though it may depend on if they simply like full-size headphones better or IEMs better. There is no underestimating the subjectivity of the comparison!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #1,628 of 15,275

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #1,629 of 15,275
From his subreddit:
Not-so-initial impressions: Sub-bass focus; midbass is punchy if a little extended in the decay. Could use some extra reduction in the midbass but that’s nitpicking. Imaging is still stellar; wide and spacious soundstage, relatively accurate instrument placement (with the exception of bass), no complaints on the tone and the treble sounds rather pleasant.

From his website:
The signature of the IER-Z1R is mildly V-shaped with a strong focus in the sub-bass rather than midbass. Rumble comes through well-articulated while percussive beats are clean and well-defined with almost zero smearing despite its emphasis.

Lower midrange is tuned with a recession, increasing clarity and definition though not as strong with male vocals as it is with female. Strengths include percussion, woodwinds and plucked strings, not as strong with male vocals, bowed strings and brass but still enough to at least be considered a general all-rounder.

Treble is one of the best that I’ve heard and has converted me into a DD-tweeter fan. Well-extended and smooth with no peaks or dips throughout, whilst conveying enough energy for sparkle. Transients are extremely snappy, resulting in zero splashiness or overlap.

(Note: ideal treble response only occurs with a deep insert. Due to the size of the housing, this fit may not be possible for certain ears.)

You're welcome.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #1,630 of 15,275
Ah, Lange. Worthy of a seat among the top 3.

Back to Z1R and Crin’s video review, my takeaway is that he’s using it out of dongle 90% of the time. To his ear, that’s good enough. My initial impression based on same usage case was met with responses saying it’s not doing Z1R justice etc.

Mar 17, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #1,631 of 15,275
He's using it with an iFi Micro Black Label I think, at least that's what I would imagine he's giving a critical review off of rather than the dongle stuff. There should be no power issue there and I'd imagine relatively speaking it's a decent dac+amp for iems although I wasn't a fan of it.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #1,632 of 15,275
559BF9C8-1EC9-4903-BCEE-66EE500E1735.jpeg
@crinacle Current mood

Mar 17, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #1,633 of 15,275
Going back on topic, it’s pretty easy to see why Z1R got an S though. I’m not dropping 2k on an IEM (right now looking at using some combination of store credit & sales to bring my next purchase, whatever it is, down to a more palatable price), but the Z1R is at least in the conversation for the best IEM available today.

Every product comes with trade-offs - this one just happens to have fewer & less serious ones.

Mar 17, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #1,634 of 15,275
Going back on topic, it’s pretty easy to see why Z1R got an S though. I’m not dropping 2k on an IEM (right now looking at using some combination of store credit & sales to bring my next purchase, whatever it is, down to a more palatable price), but the Z1R is at least in the conversation for the best IEM available today.

Every product comes with trade-offs - this one just happens to have fewer & less serious ones.

I agreed... z1r pretty much tick all the requiement for me. Thought i wanted to try Trinity SS and fw10000 before dropping the bom. As i really spend too much and my bank digit is crying especially after my recent purchase of Rolex 16710 T-T

Mar 17, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #1,635 of 15,275
I agreed... z1r pretty much tick all the requiement for me. Thought i wanted to try Trinity SS and fw10000 before dropping the bom. As i really spend too much and my bank digit is crying especially after my recent purchase of Rolex 16710 T-T

Trinity SS is a pretty impressive IEM as well. The big factor there is price though... since it starts at $2800 (and I don’t see that particular distributor offering sales?), even with any sales through Jomo, I couldn’t see it dropping below $2300 or so...

And to me, it wasn’t like it outclassed the Z1R or anything. (If anything, I think I preferred the Sony? Two different stores though, so couldn’t compare them side by side.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back